Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Comparing Enrichment Programme versus Private Tutor

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Which is the better choice for supporting our children academically?

Private Tuition
35%
Enrichment Programme
65%

Total votes : 106

Re: Group tuition or private?

Postby RachelLee » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:49 pm

elishatan wrote:Which one did you child go to, and why?

I would prefer one-to-one home tuition for my child or group tuition with max 5 students at a neutral location, definitely not the tutor's home (especially if it's a male tutor).

RachelLee
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Private Tuition vs Group Tuition which more effective

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:50 pm

weatherbee wrote:
kyp71 wrote:Thanks very kiasumummy, I will consider my DD for both tuition when she is in P5. I also feel school only touch & go they go through little but expect the kids to answer wonders. Very worried for our young kids no childhood now. Sigh !

I feel that sometimes school has no time to finish teaching everything. Then no choice, kids got to take their exams already. Anyway, I try to arrange for my kids to have tuition on weekdays then weekend will bring them out.

yup same here... but i only have 1 weekend for them to play and half day and half day to go thru anything they want to ask me about... of cos i'm not that gd in teaching, but i try my best to give them all the guidance they need on top of teacher and tutor's guidance...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:54 pm

weatherbee wrote:
verykiasumummy wrote:frankly, i hv both for my ds1 and dd2.. i feel that they can enjoy the best of both worlds in this way... not too sure if it applies to everyone but if u can afford, its better to go for both...

Wow. Then if for every subject, it will cost a lot!

i dun go for branded ones... it is still affordable to me.. the tutor cost $30/hr while the tuition centre is $80/subject/mth.. to me, spending these few hundreds of dollars are not that i'm very ks, its because i dun want them to have higher pressure of not knowing how to solve the questions and put the blame on themselves...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:58 pm

Jtutor wrote:
weatherbee wrote:
kyp71 wrote:Thanks very kiasumummy, I will consider my DD for both tuition when she is in P5. I also feel school only touch & go they go through little but expect the kids to answer wonders. Very worried for our young kids no childhood now. Sigh !

I feel that sometimes school has no time to finish teaching everything. Then no choice, kids got to take their exams already. Anyway, I try to arrange for my kids to have tuition on weekdays then weekend will bring them out.

You are right. Sometimes my students mention that the school could not cover the topics in time and had to rush through them. In the end they have to rely on tutors to enlighten them. I have a student who always looks relieved after every tuition session and walks away with a smile :)

looking relieve maybe they know tuition ended?? haha just joking...

anyways there are so many tutors and tuition centres around that can help students with.. i dun believe about having to go for the best one or the most expensive one...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SarChar » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:13 pm

I do not have 1 to 1 tuition yet for my DD1.

I think for Group Tuition as long as it is small group like 4-6 students, it should be effective. The students will be competitive and want to out-do each other in class.

A Group tutor once told me if the students are at a higher standard in the class, then the weaker students will have to catch up with the rest of the students. But if it is 1-1 tuition, usually the teacher will teach at the student's pace/standard (maybe lower standard).

But I will consider Chinese 1 to 1 tuition for DD1 next yr because she is really weak in her compo! I think the teacher might as well write the compo for her...LOL all RED on her marked paper.... :sweat:

SarChar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sunnymumsy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:32 pm

SarChar wrote:I do not have 1 to 1 tuition yet for my DD1.

I think for Group Tuition as long as it is small group like 4-6 students, it should be effective. The students will be competitive and want to out-do each other in class.

A Group tutor once told me if the students are at a higher standard in the class, then the weaker students will have to catch up with the rest of the students. But if it is 1-1 tuition, usually the teacher will teach at the student's pace/standard (maybe lower standard).

But I will consider Chinese 1 to 1 tuition for DD1 next yr because she is really weak in her compo! I think the teacher might as well write the compo for her...LOL all RED on her marked paper.... :sweat:

I think group is also the way to go... seems like my kids have more fun bcos of the interaction. I send my girls for group classes and sometimes I reinforce with 1-1, for things like grammar or S&T. especially nearing to examination period. My girls' tutor is quite generous with her time so she lets me book 1-1 slots with her when she feels that it will benefit them. Best of both worlds right!

sunnymumsy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:48 pm

SarChar wrote:I do not have 1 to 1 tuition yet for my DD1.

sorry ya.. i think for chi compo, will u be able to teach ur dd yourself?? i've once engaged a tutor for solely compo writing, most of the time, i see him sitting of my ds and look at him writing... i mean, ok i understand, he cannot be teaching all the time and ds listening, but since compo is based on writing themselves, why need 1-1 for compo?? join classes cheaper and more effectively cos then they can compare the stories and marks with the others..

like u say if ut dd has the whole paper marked red, means many mistakes so may borderly pass or fail. so if that's the case, having parents to go thru with them is the best cos u have all the time u want with ur kid, and wun be paying for the tutor to come and sit down look at her writing and at the end of the lesson just marking... parents will be more than capable to do all these to save money right??

cos i m the one paying for their tuition so i'm particular about whether the tutor is teaching or looking...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jtutor » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:21 pm

verykiasumummy wrote:
looking relieve maybe they know tuition ended?? haha just joking...

anyways there are so many tutors and tuition centres around that can help students with.. i dun believe about having to go for the best one or the most expensive one...

Yup i agree that there are plenty of choice for tutors or tuition centres. There is no such thing as the best tutor in town as each has his or her strengths. 1-1 or group tuition offer different benefits and caters to different needs. whatever the choice, a good tutor must be committed and responsible, among other attributes.

Jtutor
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby SarChar » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:00 pm

@verykiasumummy

LOL i know what you mean...we dont need to pay someone to "look".........
This weekend, we are focusing on DD1 Chinese/English Compo.

Mummies Jia You!!!!

SarChar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:35 pm

SarChar wrote:@verykiasumummy

LOL i know what you mean...we dont need to pay someone to "look".........
This weekend, we are focusing on DD1 Chinese/English Compo.

Mummies Jia You!!!!

good to hear that... we are their parents, maybe we couldnt bring them up to score A* or full marks... but we certainly have the ability to teach them not to make so many mistakes to reach the passing mark first ya...

cheers to all mummies...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres