Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Comparing Enrichment Programme versus Private Tutor

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Which is the better choice for supporting our children academically?

Private Tuition
37
35%
Enrichment Programme
69
65%
 
Total votes : 106

Re: Private Tuition vs Group Tuition which more effective

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:19 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:
verykiasumummy wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:Parents with kids sitting for PSLE next year, if you believe in tutors, please do your homework now and confirm asap after P5 SA2.


well said janet... Image

i believe in tutors so i'm grabbing hold of mine and already book her for next yr... hahaha...


CHOPE them...if possible, confirm any intensive sessions offered for the months of march, June and sep.


yes exactly what i did!!! book for all mon, wed, fri... hopefully this will better equip my dd...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:10 pm
Total Likes: 27


Re: Private Tuition vs Group Tuition which more effective

Postby janet88 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:24 pm

Son's English tutor started in Nov last year for PSLE...but I didn't know of her then. Started in early Jan. I reserved a slot for all the 'holiday' programs. June was the worst...3 weeks everyday, I am glad my son didn't rebel.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 40042
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 126


Re: Private Tuition vs Group Tuition which more effective

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:28 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:Son's English tutor started in Nov last year for PSLE...but I didn't know of her then. Started in early Jan. I reserved a slot for all the 'holiday' programs. June was the worst...3 weeks everyday, I am glad my son didn't rebel.


these are the very minimum that ks parents like us can do.... i play hard with them too... luckily my dc are contented with small rewards... i dun hv to buy them new ipad and iphone every year...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:10 pm
Total Likes: 27


Re: Private Tuition vs Group Tuition which more effective

Postby janet88 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:33 pm

verykiasumummy wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:Son's English tutor started in Nov last year for PSLE...but I didn't know of her then. Started in early Jan. I reserved a slot for all the 'holiday' programs. June was the worst...3 weeks everyday, I am glad my son didn't rebel.


these are the very minimum that ks parents like us can do.... i play hard with them too... luckily my dc are contented with small rewards... i dun hv to buy them new ipad and iphone every year...

Drive-through MAC and their fav treats once a month...nearer PSLE, once a week. But have to abstain from fried food before Oral and written papers.
iPad is mine :evil:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 40042
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 126


Re: Private Tuition vs Group Tuition which more effective

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:38 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:
verykiasumummy wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:Son's English tutor started in Nov last year for PSLE...but I didn't know of her then. Started in early Jan. I reserved a slot for all the 'holiday' programs. June was the worst...3 weeks everyday, I am glad my son didn't rebel.


these are the very minimum that ks parents like us can do.... i play hard with them too... luckily my dc are contented with small rewards... i dun hv to buy them new ipad and iphone every year...

Drive-through MAC and their fav treats once a month...nearer PSLE, once a week. But have to abstain from fried food before Oral and written papers.
iPad is mine :evil:


wow monthy mac is like a luxury to my dc.. they can only eat once quarterly... but i do fry chicken wings (their fav) for them...

i'm paisay to say i'm still using ipad 1 when its already ipad 3 in the market... the casing is already torn and dirty but i cant find ipad1 casing anywhere anymore... extinct liao...

but no regrets, i rather spend that kind of money on tuition... the price of the ipad is about 2mths tuition fee right??

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:10 pm
Total Likes: 27



Re: Private Tuition vs Group Tuition which more effective

Postby janet88 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:19 pm

Don't know price of IPad 3.
If the present one serves the same purpose, no need to get the latest.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 40042
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 126


Re: Private Tuition vs Group Tuition which more effective

Postby flowy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:33 pm

When come to critical years like P5 & P6, do your kids have tution for all subjects?

My dd's weakest link is chinese and she has a 1-1 chn tution and another group class for chinese compo :oops:

flowy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:44 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Private Tuition vs Group Tuition which more effective

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:57 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:Don't know price of IPad 3.
If the present one serves the same purpose, no need to get the latest.


women think like this but men think otherwise... they go for latest gadgets... luckily my dh not that crazy...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:10 pm
Total Likes: 27


Re: Private Tuition vs Group Tuition which more effective

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:59 pm

flowy wrote:When come to critical years like P5 & P6, do your kids have tution for all subjects?

My dd's weakest link is chinese and she has a 1-1 chn tution and another group class for chinese compo :oops:


it depends on how u want them to achieve in their results... if their makrs are already high and u dun want to push them further, not necessary to go for tuition...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:10 pm
Total Likes: 27


Re: Private Tuition vs Group Tuition which more effective

Postby Oodles Mummy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:58 pm

kyp71 wrote:Congra all mummies,

Our DS n DD have finally complete one of the hurdle in life. Hah now I worried for my younger daughter. Can all parents give me your best opinion and advise as to private or group tuition you think can help the kids achieve better result. I know it will depends cos different child develop in their own way some cannot focus well in group so need individual attention. However I feel for longer term commitment and teaching material wise group will be a better choice cos the better teacher are usually engage by the reputable agency or would have setup their own Enrichment Ctr to enjoy economic of scale. Correct me if I am wrong.

Please mummies n all kiasu reader children feel free to share your valuable feedback. Thanks a lot.


For us, we had no luck with 1-to-1 tutors. Paid quite a bit per hourly over the years but could not see results. I find it very difficult to source for really good, qualified private tutors. Even qualified NIE current teachers may not be able to teach Science or P6 level work confidently, especially when it comes to marking for key words in Science. I guess if they have not taught P6 at school they have not developed the skills and marking experience to bring the child to a high A or A-star level.

Also, private tutors tend to use assessment books. Some of the assessment books have wrong answers.

So for us, we send our DS out to tuition centres since P5. But I've also learnt not to go for brand names. It boils down to the individual teacher. One thing about learning centres is they have a written curriculum that paces the school's including mock exam papers before the exams. I find it more organised and my DS enjoys the groups, which are streamed according to capability. He told us the lessons were stimulating and the Science hands-on experiments interesting. In school, he doesn't get a chance to do hands-on, usually he was just observing the teacher..

Oodles Mummy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:13 pm
Total Likes: 1


PreviousNext

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres