Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Comparing Enrichment Programme versus Private Tutor

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Which is the better choice for supporting our children academically?

Private Tuition
35%
Enrichment Programme
65%

Total votes : 106

Re: Home Tution Vs Enrichment Vs Group Tution

Postby josephine_ng » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Class size of 10 and below should be fine. It depends if the teacher can handle and teach. My brother has his own centre and students are doing as well as when he does individual tuition.

josephine_ng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Aberc » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:55 pm

Personally, I prefer enrichment centres because the more reputable ones have a team of curriculum writers to develop very good teaching materials and the teaching is more structured compared to home tutors.

It all depends on what you are looking for. For me, the materials are more important because that is what I find lacking in the textbooks and the notes given by my kids' school.

Aberc
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby orlandospito30 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:17 am

Aberc wrote:Personally, I prefer enrichment centres because the more reputable ones have a team of curriculum writers to develop very good teaching materials and the teaching is more structured compared to home tutors.

It all depends on what you are looking for. For me, the materials are more important because that is what I find lacking in the textbooks and the notes given by my kids' school.

Same as you. I prefer centres too. More interactions as well. agree on the part for the materials the centre provides. some centres are really good.

orlandospito30
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Home tuition vs Tuition centre

Postby Neosan60 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:50 am

my ds1 found home tuition dry because it was a 1-1 setting. i changed him to a tuition centre later near by home just to test, there was certain interaction in the class, it also stimulated some competition, so i stopped the 1-1 at home.
depends on ur child :)

Neosan60
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Neosan60 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:05 pm

if you are talking about chinese, a centre would be better than 1-1 because of the nature of the subject, it needs alot of interaction between people, in that particular language, especially if nobody speaks mandarin at home.

Neosan60
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mdmlow » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:30 am

Agree, I think it depends.

mdmlow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Private Tuition vs Group Tuition which more effective

Postby SarChar » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:17 am

bellymummy wrote:I think group tuition is quite effective if its a small group. kids can make friends and interaction helps them grow up and learn how to interact with others.

I always believe that for languages, its better to be in a centre, so the kids can talk in proper english or chinese with each other. The teacher must also be good and strict with the way they get them to chat and talk to each other too.

:snuggles: totally agree with you on this one!

DD1 is in centre for both Chinese and English.
For Maths, DD1 is w group tuition of 6-8 kids with a ex-teacher home tutor. Heehee I find that its easier to form a class with classmates in same school so that we ourselves can coordinate the make up class or additional class. But tutor is getting popular and no weekend class slot :scared:

sometimes we asked around to form class beginning of the year, no one wanted to join. But after SA2, mummies saw results of our kids, now all rushed to join but FULL already for next year. Too bad.... :roll:

Actually now is the best time to continue tuition so that our kids have a head start to next year level.

SarChar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Raemuumy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:13 pm

jacktutor wrote:Home tuition vs tuition centre, what do you think? I have a student whose parent pulled her out from the tuition centre, because she just wasn't making any progress. Does this happen to anyone out there?

Yes. But I dont condemn all tuition centres. Sometimes maybe its just not the right one for my kids. So i put them into another one. hoping that they will learn n improve.

Raemuumy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mummy so kiasu » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:01 pm

jacktutor wrote:Home tuition vs tuition centre, what do you think? I have a student whose parent pulled her out from the tuition centre, because she just wasn't making any progress. Does this happen to anyone out there?

I believe you are a home tutor. Home tution is better for weaker kids who need more individual attention,
especially for Maths. Tuition
centre is like classroom
environment. Good tuition centre also provides quality notes to supplement school ones. The kids can also learn from other kids in the class. However, it is more suitable for average kids.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummy so kiasu » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:05 pm

I believe you are a home tutor. Home tution is better for weaker kids who need more individual attention, especially for Maths. Tuition centre is like classroom environment, with more interaction. The kids can also learn from other kids in the class. However, it is more suitable for average kids.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres