Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Comparing Enrichment Programme versus Private Tutor

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Which is the better choice for supporting our children academically?

Private Tuition
35%
Enrichment Programme
65%

Total votes : 106

Re: Home Tution Vs Enrichment Vs Group Tution

Postby ohbluecrayon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:14 pm

Depends. But 1-to-1 will definitely give the required attention to your child I feel. In terms of interaction, it will allow more opportunities for your child to speak up and talk to the tutor too. In centres, some may be too shy to talk in front of a crowd. Need to build up their communication skills in the language first. My child had 1-to-1 tuition in Chinese with an undergrad tutor before and she was really interactive, providing her own teaching materials and videos to engage my child :)

ohbluecrayon
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby novels » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:45 pm

I think whether which is better depending on the kids too. If the child is shy, he/she will not speak out and will not throw questions too. When my gal was in enrichment center, she used English to communicate with classmates.

novels
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby wonderleo » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:39 pm

novels wrote:I think whether which is better depending on the kids too. If the child is shy, he/she will not speak out and will not throw questions too. When my gal was in enrichment center, she used English to communicate with classmates.

agree. So far, I prefer full time mature tutor, more suitable for my primary-school son. I tried those undergraduates before, they are always looking at handphones, take leave to prepare for their exams..

wonderleo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby janet88 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:54 pm

Cannot get undergraduates...they are not professional, inexperienced and don't even know school syllabus.

Even school teachers may not be pro if they just use assessment books.

My son had 1-1 for Math and Chinese...customized to his level of weakness/understanding.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Private Tuition vs Group Tuition which more effective

Postby sunnymumsy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:27 pm

bellymummy wrote:I think group tuition is quite effective if its a small group. kids can make friends and interaction helps them grow up and learn how to interact with others.

I always believe that for languages, its better to be in a centre, so the kids can talk in proper english or chinese with each other. The teacher must also be good and strict with the way they get them to chat and talk to each other too.

Agreed... I like grp tuition for my girls bcos they find it more fun. I send my kids to a place where 6 students / class is the max. They enjoy it a lot. My younger girl is funny though.. she loves theier class bcos the worksheets are in full colour. haha. well i take what I can get! As long as she is excited to go, I will send.

sunnymumsy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Private Tuition vs Group Tuition which more effective

Postby sunnymumsy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:18 pm

litmuspaper wrote:wow...worksheets are coloured! Which centre is that?

sent you a PM.:)

sunnymumsy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Math tuition teacher or math tuition centre

Postby pg9254 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Hi everyone,

My son will be going to P1 next year. I am looking for a good and reliable math tutor or math tuition centre. Any recommended one? I am staying in clementi.

Many thanks.

pg9254
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Math tuition teacher or math tuition centre

Postby mashimaroABC » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:22 pm

Hi,

May I know what is your budget for one lesson?

mashimaroABC
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Group tuition or private?

Postby Chinese Author » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm

There are merits in both, depending on the need of the student to achieve the desired results. So long as group tuition is not done in a one-way lecturing style in a big classroom but interactive with hands-on exercise to practise and polish the skills of Q&A, the effect is about the same as 1-1 tuition, attention does not make or break the learning session.
To compensate for loss of attention in a group tuition, the training materials and methods play an important part, in other words, ask: what are they doing during group tuition and what had they learned for the day?
Of course, group tuition can never do better than 1-1 tuition, ceteris paribus, in terms of customisation and pin-pointing attention given, but the end result may still vary, some students in group tuition may still do better than 1-1 student, if they have some good materials on hand with the right approach to work out and write their answers that score with flying colours.

Chinese Author
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Group tuition or private?

Postby janet88 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:16 pm

Chinese Author wrote:There are merits in both, depending on the need of the student to achieve the desired results. So long as group tuition is not done in a one-way lecturing style in a big classroom but interactive with hands-on exercise to practise and polish the skills of Q&A, the effect is about the same as 1-1 tuition, attention does not make or break the learning session.
To compensate for loss of attention in a group tuition, the training materials and methods play an important part, in other words, ask: what are they doing during group tuition and what had they learned for the day?
Of course, group tuition can never do better than 1-1 tuition, ceteris paribus, in terms of customisation and pin-pointing attention given, but the end result may still vary, some students in group tuition may still do better than 1-1 student, if they have some good materials on hand with the right approach to work out and write their answers that score with flying colours.

My son had 1-1 tuition for Chinese and Science. As for Eng, the tutor had her way of teaching a class of 10 and still give attention to the weaker ones. My son received extra attention from her...esp for comprehension OE.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres