Comparing Enrichment Programme versus Private Tutor

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Which is the better choice for supporting our children academically?

Private Tuition
36%
Enrichment Programme
64%

Total votes: 108

chantuan_lim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Group tuition or private?

Post by chantuan_lim » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:39 pm

Cherry Lee wrote:Both group and private tuition are equally good. It greatly depends on the preference of the child and which type of environment they are able to learn better and effectively.

I believe the main factor is the teacher...

Consider this.. if the teacher is good for 1-1.. but in a class setting he cannot address all the questions promptly for the students... then the students cannot benefit as much..

If the teacher is good for 1 to many.. but in 1-1.. he gets sleepy.. or is too strict on the child that affects learning... then how?

My nephew had this problem... he attended a tuition class.. had a very good teacher there.. and secretly hired him to teach him 1-1.. but in 1-1.. he wasnt' very effective..

Hope you can use this to consider... my 2 cents

JohnYeo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Group tuition or private?

Post by JohnYeo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:07 am

chantuan_lim wrote:
Cherry Lee wrote:Both group and private tuition are equally good. It greatly depends on the preference of the child and which type of environment they are able to learn better and effectively.

I believe the main factor is the teacher...

Consider this.. if the teacher is good for 1-1.. but in a class setting he cannot address all the questions promptly for the students... then the students cannot benefit as much..

If the teacher is good for 1 to many.. but in 1-1.. he gets sleepy.. or is too strict on the child that affects learning... then how?

My nephew had this problem... he attended a tuition class.. had a very good teacher there.. and secretly hired him to teach him 1-1.. but in 1-1.. he wasnt' very effective..

Hope you can use this to consider... my 2 cents

In addition, I would like to share my 2 cents that it is how the teacher engage the child on 1-1 level and in group level. And once the child is engaged, how does the teacher continue to inspire and motivate the child to continue to work hard and leverage his own strengths to improve in his school work....

group tuition can be very powerful too because children within the same group can support one another too, in terms of emotional support as well as academic support...i know of some children who instantly understood when their peers explain to them...u know they have their own language and jargons and I think is pretty interesting to have observed that...

even competition within students in the same group, if used correctly and managed well, can be good for the children too...

senseimichael
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Re: group tuitn vs pte 1-to-1 tuitn

Post by senseimichael » Wed May 22, 2013 12:18 pm

24hr-mum wrote:whc is better? for science

Science group tuition also suffers from one problem if the students are from different schools, as each school arranges their themes and topics differently by year (P3 and P4 one book, P5 and P6 another book). Some students end up studying way ahead while others do not get to cover what their school assesses.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:157

Re: group tuitn vs pte 1-to-1 tuitn

Post by Nebbermind » Wed May 22, 2013 8:41 pm

senseimichael wrote:
24hr-mum wrote:whc is better? for science

Science group tuition also suffers from one problem if the students are from different schools, as each school arranges their themes and topics differently by year (P3 and P4 one book, P5 and P6 another book). Some students end up studying way ahead while others do not get to cover what their school assesses.

Got to agree on this one!

Same problem faced when doi past year paper from other schools...topics covered can be diff.

shinming
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Comparing Enrichment Programme versus Private Tutor

Post by shinming » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:57 pm

Pte tuition is usually not so structured. Also as an individual they have less resource to monitor the syllabus and select suitable questions for the students

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:39

Post by sleepy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:35 pm

Hi

I'm comparing LP's rates against private 1 to 1 tuition.

Recently being quoted $70 for 1.5 hours 1 to 1
versus LP's $63 for 2 hours up to class size of 12

I'm wondering does it make sense to go for group lessons?

On one hand I like the idea of standardized worksheets.
On the other hand, undeniable attractive to get 1 to 1 attention

What do you think is LP's edge over private 1 to 1?

iRabbit
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:129

Post by iRabbit » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:48 pm

sleepy wrote:Hi

I'm comparing LP's rates against private 1 to 1 tuition.

Recently being quoted $70 for 1.5 hours 1 to 1
versus LP's $63 for 2 hours up to class size of 12

I'm wondering does it make sense to go for group lessons?

On one hand I like the idea of standardized worksheets.
On the other hand, undeniable attractive to get 1 to 1 attention

What do you think is LP's edge over private 1 to 1?

Not sure about LP's std currently though when I was recee-ing tuition for ds yrs ago, they impressed me.

On the 1-1 vs grp tuition comparison, it also depends on the make-up of the kids. My ds will die if 1-1 tuition but he enjoys grp tuition. Reason being there's more dynamism in grps and he enjoys those intra-classroom contests whereby tutors break class up into different teams for friendly competititon.

Of course tutors also know how to use psychology to motivate kids and a smattering of praises during lessons (in front of friends) will stroke his ego no end.

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by sean wife » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:04 pm

Is it a good idea to suggest to a current enrichment school teacher to provide 1-1 tuition using the enrichment school’s materials, assuming the materials can be sourced by the parents (or say handed down from an older sibling?)

Or is it better for the teacher to access the child and tailor something which she thinks suits the child’s needs?

Savioursix
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Savioursix » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:12 pm

sean wife wrote:Is it a good idea to suggest to a current enrichment school teacher to provide 1-1 tuition using the enrichment school’s materials, assuming the materials can be sourced by the parents (or say handed down from an older sibling?)

Or is it better for the teacher to access the child and tailor something which she thinks suits the child’s needs?

Isn't it against the company policy to use the school's material for other purpose? The teacher may very well risk his job.

Bedoktutor
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Bedoktutor » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:05 pm

Dear Parents,

I am an experienced and committed Lady tutor with more than 7 years of tutoring experience in Primary Maths n Science. I provide 1-1 tutoring at my residence@ Bedok. My rates is very affordable as students come to my place for lessons.
( I am sorry that I have to reject parents who have emailed/ PMed me to request me to go to their houses for lessons).

Being 1-1, my students get to enjoy personalised coaching (at the fees of a group tuition ) under my clear explanation : concepts and applications. Customised worksheets are tailored to their levels of proficiency. As it is a private coaching, I can focus on individual areas of weaknesses which is ideal for weaker students. Results are proven.

If your child needs a private tutor, kindly click on the link to get more details. Thank you!

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 0#p1157320