Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Comparing Enrichment Programme versus Private Tutor

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Which is the better choice for supporting our children academically?

Private Tuition
35%
Enrichment Programme
65%

Total votes : 106

Re: Comparing Enrichment Programme versus Private Tutor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:11 pm

Whether it is group or individual tuition, it really depends on the nature of the subject and the learning style of the child.

Group teaching tends to be more structured, and suitable to children who are more inclined to passively absorb information. Children who respond well to peer pressure will also benefit.

Individual teaching tends to be personalised and focused on trouble-shooting. It can be more efficient in teaching kids who are more responsive and curious and like unstructured learning.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby utdad » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi i really need help. My boy doing psle next year. And we dont know what to do.we have tried group and individual tuition but dont seem to work. He has been failing his maths since p3. This year for p5 he fail his science. We are so worried..psle is next year..we need a good tutor who can build his confidence so he can improve his math science...

utdad
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby utdad » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:38 pm

Forgot to add we are staying in the yew tee area. anyone can recomend a good 1 to 1 tutor for psle math science english. We would be thankful.Its painful to see that his confidence so low even his teachers are not bothered about his poor p5 math n science results. I am just lost...dont know how to help him....

utdad
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby kiftraco » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:53 pm

group is better... teacher has handled many kids, can handle your kid better.

kiftraco
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby angela » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:13 pm

utdad wrote:Forgot to add we are staying in the yew tee area. anyone can recomend a good 1 to 1 tutor for psle math science english. We would be thankful.Its painful to see that his confidence so low even his teachers are not bothered about his poor p5 math n science results. I am just lost...dont know how to help him....

Hi utdad,

Just happened to read your post. Few years ago, I also had a student who started to fail his Maths since P2. I started to coach him from P4 and he dislikes Maths and totally no confidence. So I worked hand in hand with his mother, we started revision from P3 work onwards and slowly built his foundation & also confidence. After all the hard work, he managed to get A in PSLE which we were very happy with it. Another good point is that he really very hardworking too. I gave him a lot of work to do but he never complained at all.

So, dun give up and slowly build his confidence. I am sure that your son can make it. No worries. All the best.

angela
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby AmberT » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:06 pm

I would think a small group is better than private. 1-to-1 seems boring. Especially if the child cant connect with the tutor. I'm saying this through my ger's opinion. She seems to want to do more in a group. (She told me she does it because everyone is doing! ) hahahahah

I guessed in a small group of not more than 5, the tutor is able to have all the kids doing their work and not dream off. I tried centres with classroom setting. My daughter always goes to lala land. Just like in school! Private tuition for her she told me she is bored!!!!

anyway glad to be able to put her somewhere is learn and enjoy now! :)

AmberT
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

1 people like this post

Postby XiaoDingDang » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:50 pm

Hi Amber T,

Where did you send your ger to? My dd also dream off when in MS lesson. I am thinking to put her in smaller group set up.
Kindly advise.

XiaoDingDang
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby AmberT » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:10 pm

XiaoDingDang wrote:Hi Amber T,

Where did you send your ger to? My dd also dream off when in MS lesson. I am thinking to put her in smaller group set up.
Kindly advise.

Hi! you've been PM
:)

AmberT
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby XiaoDingDang » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:05 pm

Having error when trying to read the PM . Can send to my email. Evelynlkang@hotmail.com

XiaoDingDang
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mabelboey » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:29 pm

I would prefer my boy to go for group tuition too! He will have the opportunity to interact with other students and meet new people. And the most crucial part is group tuition provides a supportive environment where the students can learn from the questions posed by their peers, correcting their misguided judgements and reaffirming what they know. He will be able to hear other peoples' opinions and listen to questions he may not have thought of. Individual tutoring is too boring for him. I guess he will be drifting off most of the time :slapshead:

mabelboey
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres