Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Comparing Enrichment Programme versus Private Tutor

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Which is the better choice for supporting our children academically?

Private Tuition
35%
Enrichment Programme
65%

Total votes : 106

Re: Totor to share

Postby westmom » Tue May 12, 2009 6:23 pm

TiredMummy wrote:Hi Edanson, can you pm me your son's english teacher and also the maths teacher you mentioned. My girl is in P5 this year and she did very badly for her CA1, scoring only 50+ for English. Am worried for her SA1 now, she said paper was quite difficult.

TIA.

Tiredmummy...You should find out the level average score or class average score before you panic. I learnt through experience..my dd came home with 50+ for science in P5, I got so worried until I start checking around. Found out later that the level average was around 45...so the paper was set too hard.!

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Totor to share

Postby TiredMummy » Wed May 13, 2009 11:53 am

Hi, yes I found out the average score was 69, so my dd was called up to attend remedial class now after CA1.

TiredMummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Chinese - language school or individual tuition?

Postby lovejoypeacce » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:08 am

I am having some problem with my kids' chinese tutor. She is young, fun and able to relates well to my girls. However she tends to have some problem committing to a fixed time to teach them due to her schedule. It is getting a bit frustrating to keep changing dates/timing over and over again.

Next year my dd will be P6 and I am worried that the situation will continues..

So my question is should I change the tutor and should I put her in a group tuition versus home tuition? Group tution can provides the interaction among peers and working on worksheets might be more interesting than assignment books? but on the other hand, I worry that group tuition might not provides the individual attention when she can't grasp the words etc?

She is not doing so great in Chinese, so I worry that she may not get the right attention in a group but on the other hadn, I was told that others can spur her on?

Any suggestions or advice?

Btw, any good chinese school to recommend in Pasir Ris?

thanks!!

lovejoypeacce
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Chinese - language school or individual tuition?

Postby LadyBug3 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:16 am

lovejoypeacce wrote:I am having some problem with my kids' chinese tutor. She is young, fun and able to relates well to my girls. However she tends to have some problem committing to a fixed time to teach them due to her schedule. It is getting a bit frustrating to keep changing dates/timing over and over again.

Next year my dd will be P6 and I am worried that the situation will continues..

So my question is should I change the tutor and should I put her in a group tuition versus home tuition? Group tution can provides the interaction among peers and working on worksheets might be more interesting than assignment books? but on the other hand, I worry that group tuition might not provides the individual attention when she can't grasp the words etc?

She is not doing so great in Chinese, so I worry that she may not get the right attention in a group but on the other hadn, I was told that others can spur her on?

Any suggestions or advice?

Btw, any good chinese school to recommend in Pasir Ris?

thanks!!

For myself, I swear by group tuition as my kids tend to get unmotivated in individual tuition. They go to Molin which I find very effective.

LadyBug3
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby hquek » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:22 am

hi lovejoypeace,

a bit curious. If your child is not doing well despite the tutor being able to bond with her, then why are you sticking to her in the first place?

My own experience. P1-5 I had the same tutor who was extremely strict and under her tutelage, I did well in my exams. P6 I changed tutors (due to reasons beyond my control), and I did badly in P6 and PSLE. My bad for playing a lot more, but also I had no clue what my new tutors were trying to teach me.

So now for my kids (going forward actually since they are not in pri sch yet), I would want to make sure they can perform under that tutor else I will sure to change tutor/class.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby lovejoypeacce » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:09 am

hquek wrote:hi lovejoypeace,

a bit curious. If your child is not doing well despite the tutor being able to bond with her, then why are you sticking to her in the first place?

My own experience. P1-5 I had the same tutor who was extremely strict and under her tutelage, I did well in my exams. P6 I changed tutors (due to reasons beyond my control), and I did badly in P6 and PSLE. My bad for playing a lot more, but also I had no clue what my new tutors were trying to teach me.

So now for my kids (going forward actually since they are not in pri sch yet), I would want to make sure they can perform under that tutor else I will sure to change tutor/class.

We got the current teacher since last term. The previous teacher has to stop for healtth reasons.

I find that my girls responded well to a younger teacher as compared to an older teacher but unfortunately due to her irregular timings, I find I have to do something about it.

lovejoypeacce
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Tuition Centre Vs Tutor

Postby titank » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:53 pm

Is it advisable to get a tuition teacher to come once a week teach all subjects rather that going to tuition centre for individual subject?

Individual subject cost at least on average $150-$200 per month depending on type of centre. Just hope to get some advise & comments from parents in here.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Tuition Centre Vs Tutor

Postby peterch » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:58 pm

titank wrote:Is it advisable to get a tuition teacher to come once a week teach all subjects rather that going to tuition centre for individual subject?

Individual subject cost at least on average $150-$200 per month depending on type of centre. Just hope to get some advise & comments from parents in here.

I myself prefer tutor to come to our place. :D Timing is more flexible so far

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sleepy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:00 pm

I prefer enrichment center. More structured syllabus and they are supposed to be 'good' in that particular subject

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Brenda10 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:10 pm

For CL compo or EL compo. I would prefer at the center as the child would have to complete the compo. within the specific time.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres