All About Primary One Readiness & Preparatory Courses

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

All About Primary One Readiness & Preparatory Courses

Postby ksmummy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:37 am

Hihi,

Pls advise whether is it really necessary to be able to read independently prior to Primary one?

ksmummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Advice on P1 readiness

Postby jedamum » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:52 pm

Hi ksmummy,
With 2 out of the 3 examinable subjects in english, it is advantageous that your kid can read and understand english.
You may want to take a look around this thread on P1 preparation 'requirements' as advised by experienced parents. :)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MMM » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:36 pm

Yes, I agree that preferably the kids should be able to read independently or use phonics to figure out most of the words confidently.

My niece didn't do phonics and was on lsp in P1. My sil related to me that she couldn't read independently hence she couldn't understand what is being asked in maths questions. Except those straight forward ones like 9+4,etc...

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ksmummy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:49 pm

thanks for the useful reply. will chk out the thread.

ksmummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Heyya all..

Postby buds » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:40 am

Yes... Yes!

Very very very important to ensure child reads fluently
prior to Primary 1. All the poor children will see in P1
books (majority) is TEXT (words).

If children start learning to read late, it will be taxing
to catch up with trying to comprehend what he is being
asked to do.. hence, in the end losing interest and slowly
lose self esteem.

Enjoying a good read before bed time each nite
reali reali helps. It builds interest in early reading.

Cheerios.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

All About Primary One Preparatory Courses

Postby blur mother » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:58 am

Hi, I was told that if a K2 kid who goes to a pri 1 preparatory class willbe very beneficial to them. Anyone knows where conduct such a class? I am staying in Central. Thank You! :D

blur mother
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:57 am

I'm of a different opinion.

Kids that had attended kindergarten would have no problem in Primary 1. Exception would be those attending not so local acedemic focused international school's kindergartens.

tankee
Site Admin

Re: Pri 1 Preparatory Class

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:13 am

blur mother wrote:Hi, I was told that if a K2 kid who goes to a pri 1 preparatory class willbe very beneficial to them. Anyone knows where conduct such a class? I am staying in Central. Thank You! :D

isn't the K2 class a prep class for P1 ?

hopefully we are looking at graduation exam scores for K2 / pre-P1 training ?? lol
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KoalaMummy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:14 am

tankee wrote:I'm of a different opinion.

Kids that had attended kindergarten would have no problem in Primary 1. Exception would be those attending not so local acedemic focused international school's kindergartens.

agree... i guess these people just want to earn more money from all the kan-cheong parents around. anyway, most schools now are quite easy on the P1s. most schools have no exams for the P1s. P1 are just 'honeymoon' adjusting period. Don't make it too big a deal or your kids will feel it and get stressed up too. A child will have many many years of exam 'stress' when they go up the level. i'm of the opinion of not stessing them when they are just going P1. just my humble opinion. :wink:

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby blur mother » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:36 am

Hi all, thks for the advise. I saw a pri one preparatory class that teaches besides eng, chi, maths, they also teach time, money and how to buy food in a Sch canteen. I tgt this is cool so the kids will be prepared when they go p1. Unfortunately, the Sch is busy with other classes they hv no time to open this class now. Lastly, ya, I shld not stress her so much too.

blur mother
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment