All About Primary One Readiness & Preparatory Courses

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
timtim
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by timtim » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:23 am

jocelyn wrote:May I know how's your son progress for READ IN A WEEK? thinking of registrating my child there as well... going P1 next year....
My son joined halfway in the Intermediate class (after assessment, was told he's good enough to join) and now into Advanced. Maybe partly because he has some foundation in another centre for few months before I decided to switch to READ IN A WEEK in Rivervale Mall. I also anxious, that's why send him there few months before his P1 next yr. So far teacher say he's ok. My only concern is he's still has problem in applying the skills learned in reading and sometimes I have to remind him. I have to constantly revise with him on the phonics learned. Maybe will see if want to continue by yr end when he completes his advance module.

mummy of 3
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:1

Post by mummy of 3 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi timtim,
How is the Read in a Week Phonics Programme?
Plan to enrol my DD1 at CCK Branch. Is it very good? My DD1 is attending phonics at RC (Intermediate also).

i3mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by i3mum » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi mummy of 3,

It's me again! Haha :) If you are looking for P1 preparatory class in the West, can try the RC at Toh yi Drive, if you do not mind traveling. Another mummy introduce to me:

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... &start=500

Mdm Rahayu 97479223 Little Wings.

I heard the K2 class is from 8.30 to 10.30am currently on every sat and it starts from Jan. So next year Jan you can sign your DD if you wish to. It's $30 per subject (English & Maths) per month-which will be $60 in total.

mummy of 3 wrote:Hi timtim,
Plan to enrol my DD1 at CCK Branch. Is it very good? My DD1 is attending phonics at RC (Intermediate also).

mummy of 3
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:1

Post by mummy of 3 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi i3mum,
This is from Janet, right? Her DD is there for tuition. Very hard to travel to Toh Yi early in the morning. My children wakes up at 9am the earliest. :wink:

timtim
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by timtim » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:01 am

mummy of 3 wrote:Hi timtim,
I find it more systematic in the teaching method but I had hoped it will have more reading (reading of short passages or short stories) so that the children knows how to apply the phonics learnt. Anyway, my son seems to enjoy it. I also can't really conclude if it'll turn out good as my son only joined in Jul 10. Initial results shows good. You may go for the assessment lesson (not just few minutes but attend 1 whole lesson). We were not charged for that lesson.

i3mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by i3mum » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:25 am

Yup, this is from Janet. Hmm, then maybe you can call & ask if the teacher might change the timing for next year ?
mummy of 3 wrote:Hi i3mum,
This is from Janet, right? Her DD is there for tuition. Very hard to travel to Toh Yi early in the morning. My children wakes up at 9am the earliest. :wink:

Mimama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Mimama » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:29 pm

Has anyone heard of EVIS program at KRTC? Heard it is a P1 preparatory course for kids from K1 to P1 and they teach english and maths.

JanJan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by JanJan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:02 am

Mimama wrote:Has anyone heard of EVIS program at KRTC? Heard it is a P1 preparatory course for kids from K1 to P1 and they teach english and maths.
I will strongly advise you against sending your child there. The course is conducted by the boss and he is highly irresponsible, always come late. The course has no structure and the children are very often scared by his shouting. He has no patience. Some kids may enjoy if they like to be bribed by junk food.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by mrswongtuition » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:48 am

I'm conducting a P1 Prep Class for P1 2011 (10 lessons) this Oct-Dec for English & Maths.

Details: http://mwtuition.blogspot.com

Will also be starting a K1/2 class 2011 which starts in Dec 2010.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:139

Morning lessons

Post by janet88 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:12 am

Hi i3mum/mummy of 3,
My daughter attends RC every Sat morning. Class starts at the same time as her kindy. I've yet to find out what time her Eng/Math classes will be next yr...the teacher conducts lessons from K1 to P2 from 830am to 5pm every Sat.