All About Primary One Readiness & Preparatory Courses

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
Nuroflite
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

worried mother

Post by Nuroflite » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:28 am

Hi Parents, my daughther will be in K1 next Yr, but it seems she still not so familiar with ALPHABETS / NUMBERS, staying @east area , any recommendation or affordable class that i can register her in.
:thankyou:

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:248

Re: worried mother

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:34 am

Nuroflite wrote:Hi Parents, my daughther will be in K1 next Yr, but it seems she still not so familiar with ALPHABETS / NUMBERS, staying @east area , any recommendation or affordable class that i can register her in.
:thankyou:
Won't the kindergarten teach these things? Anyway, you can just read to her and show her letters and numbers around her at home, on signs etc. The more you point them out, the more familiar they will become. I don't think you need a class for this.

Also, kids develop at different rates, and at her age, not all kids are familiar with letters and numbers anyway. Even though I read to my kids a lot and raised them the same way, one of them read before 4yo without being taught, and the other only read at 6yo after I decided I needed to formally teach her (they didn't learn English in kindy as we were overseas). Yet the later reader is the one doing much better academically and both are keen readers (they are teenagers now). So there's no need to worry yet. Just show her how letters and numbers are all around and have meaning.

12mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:4

Re: worried mother

Post by 12mum » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:50 am

Play the "I Spy" game with your child everywhere you go.

No need to get frustrated if your child doesn't get it right. You must be patient. Doesn't have to be long, just a few guesses to keep them interested. It is a game not lesson.

You can include other things besides numbers and letters. The child will slowly be surely be able recognize the letters and numbers. :smile:

lchunleo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: All About Primary One Readiness & Preparatory Courses

Post by lchunleo » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:07 am

How to play the I spy game? My child 4.5 yrs also prep him but lots of resistance in learning things. He tends to distract from what I wish to teach him or goofing around.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:248

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:31 am

lchunleo wrote:How to play the I spy game? My child 4.5 yrs also prep him but lots of resistance in learning things. He tends to distract from what I wish to teach him or goofing around.
For kids like that, it may be more effective to follow his lead than impose our 'syllabus'. What I did when my kids were young was to have very general plans about what I thought they should be introduced at that stage, and find opportunities to work into our activities. It could be that we might be doing more Maths concepts for a period, and then move on to word recognition and phonics for another period, but it all got covered eventually. Your son may seem to be goofing off, but his attention may have been attracted by something that you can use to work some of your 'learning items' into while keeping his interest.

yanui
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by yanui » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:21 am

Hello parents!

My girl is gg to P1 next year too and we are looking to form a small group (5 or less) for P1 Chinese Prep Class for a tutor based in Bishan St 12 (5min to interchange and MRT).

Cost is $15 per 90min lesson.

Tutor will be teaching hanyu pinyin, reading, writing, storytelling, simple conversation, vocab and character recognition and pronunciation.

Please PM contact me if you wish to join me

bmch
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by bmch » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:29 am

My child is going to P1 next year too but we have yet to enrol him in any prep classes. Is it too late to start one now? Do they have prep classes for all subjects or it's by single subject? If single subject that means the children need to attend 3 lessons a week? I would prefer all in one type. Any good recommendation in the north side? TIA.

Galaxy Queen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

P1 English/ Math Tuition Group

Post by Galaxy Queen » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi

We are looking to form a small tuition group of P1 kids to join my boy. We are looking at a small group, 2-3 kids max, at my place in orchard/ newton area.

Tutor is good and experienced with teaching kids in the area. If interested do pm me.

Galaxy Queen

Galaxy Queen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

P1 English/ Math Tuition Group

Post by Galaxy Queen » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:16 pm

Hi

We are looking to form a small tuition group of P1 kids to join my boy. We are looking at a small group, 2-3 kids max, at my place in orchard/ newton area.

Tutor is good and experienced with teaching kids in the area. If interested do pm me.

Galaxy Queen

littlegals
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by littlegals » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:39 pm

Anyone tried 'I lOVE LEARNING' at Westgate?