Any P1 kids having tution/enrichment?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Is your P1 kid having tution/enrichment?

Yes, on all subjects.
25%
Yes, on Maths.
6%
Yes, on English.
12%
Yes, on Mother Tongue.
19%
Not yet, but looking ard.
15%
No.
23%

Total votes : 95

Any P1 kids having tution/enrichment?

Postby Vevey » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:49 pm

Just want to have a feel abt the tution/enrichment scene here.
DS is in a good neighbourhood sch but I've yet to c the need for any tution (no SA1 tho).
He didn't even go for any P1 preparation class or HYPY class either.

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:55 pm

Maybe you could download those free exam papers from other schools to let your child try. This way, you can at least see where your child stacks up against other school's standard and decide from there :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ningy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:10 pm

Dunno if it's only my dd or the stellar programme; seems like my dd's command of grammar is not very good (still confused/careless over singular/plural, present/past tense); that's why i enrolled her for english enrichment when her best friend's mom suggested that both of them should attend the same english enrichment class. my dd's very happy abt it especially when she can see her best friend (fr kindergarten, now in different pri sch) every sat. we'll meet earlier so 2 of them can chat/play b4 going to lesson together.

ningy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hardworking_mom » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi,

Thats' why sometimes I find it hard to tell if my child has reached P1 standard for English as Stellar has no textbook. Unlike subject like Mathematics where looking at the his textbook contents page now I would know topics like multiplication or division is not covered yet. So we need to study their English worksheets in detail to know what is covered... :roll:

hardworking_mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby i3mum » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Hi all,

I m curious and wish to check, will you send your kids for both enrichment & tuition classes?

i3mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Stellar program

Postby janet88 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:18 pm

hardworking_mom wrote:Hi,

Thats' why sometimes I find it hard to tell if my child has reached P1 standard for English as Stellar has no textbook. Unlike subject like Mathematics where looking at the his textbook contents page now I would know topics like multiplication or division is not covered yet. So we need to study their English worksheets in detail to know what is covered... :roll:

My daughter is in K2. Like you, I'm worried if she is prepared for P1.
P1/2 has no Eng textbook...using this Stellar program which is kept in school. I'm at a loss what she has to know b4 she goes to P1.
It's easier for Math/Chinese because there is a textbook to fall back/refer to. Why must MOE do away with Eng textbook ???

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Any P1 kids having tution/enrichment?

Postby livewith_vanilla » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:06 pm

Vevey wrote:Just want to have a feel abt the tution/enrichment scene here.
DS is in a good neighbourhood sch but I've yet to c the need for any tution (no SA1 tho).
He didn't even go for any P1 preparation class or HYPY class either.

I've been having tuition/enrichment classes since I was like four. Its my decision whether I want to have tuition. :)

In P6 now.I have a sister, aged five, having tuition for phonics and chinese.

livewith_vanilla
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Pen88n » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:25 pm

I have seen so many discussion of tuition / no tuition, enrichment / no enrichment. I think there is no one "best" way - different kids have different learning methods and need different teaching / coaching. But I still conclude that kids will need coaching and guidance - be it from parents / one-to-one tutor / tuition centre / enrichment centre.

I know there are people who are out to prove "success stories" for kids without tuition but who has fared well (we are referring to primary sch kids here, not the secondary school or more matured kids). But seriously, who would say that these kids really fare well without any home coaching or guidance from parents? From young, the likelihood of parents providing the guidance or giving them the headstart is already there, and they build from that foundation laid. Look at kids who are from poorer families whereby parents are uneducated and cannot even guide them or lay any foundation when they were young: do they really fare well without tuition? The Singapore education system is such that kids need help and coaching in the school and homework and more enrichment outside school syllabus to prepare for exams etc.

Let's admit it, this is no longer the old time whereby all of us go to school and study under the same teacher without any help from tuition / home. I do not see the education system as a level playing field anymore and I see families / kids who suffer under this due to inability to provide personal coaching / external tutoring

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Tuition

Postby janet88 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:31 pm

Pen88n wrote:But I still conclude that kids will need coaching and guidance - be it from parents / one-to-one tutor / tuition centre / enrichment centre.

From young, the likelihood of parents providing the guidance or giving them the headstart is already there, and they build from that foundation laid. The Singapore education system is such that kids need help and coaching in the school and homework and more enrichment outside school syllabus to prepare for exams etc.

Let's admit it, this is no longer the old time whereby all of us go to school and study under the same teacher without any help from tuition / home. I do not see the education system as a level playing field anymore and I see families / kids who suffer under this due to inability to provide personal coaching / external tutoring

It's not a fair game for all kids now. Although more parents are able to coach their kids in school/homework/subjects, there is a limit. Hubby & I got a tutor for son since K2 (group)...then switched to individual tuition at P1. We are still trying to coach him as much as possible bcos we hope to be hands-on. I'm seriously thinking of getting English tuition for my son bcos it's getting tougher and I find it harder to coach. Why must our education system make it so tough for parents/children ?
Subjects are getting tougher.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Tuition

Postby livewith_vanilla » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:37 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:
Pen88n wrote:But I still conclude that kids will need coaching and guidance - be it from parents / one-to-one tutor / tuition centre / enrichment centre.

From young, the likelihood of parents providing the guidance or giving them the headstart is already there, and they build from that foundation laid. The Singapore education system is such that kids need help and coaching in the school and homework and more enrichment outside school syllabus to prepare for exams etc.

It's not a fair game for all kids now. Although more parents are able to coach their kids in school/homework/subjects, there is a limit. Hubby & I got a tutor for son since K2 (group)...then switched to individual tuition at P1. We are still trying to coach him as much as possible bcos we hope to be hands-on. I'm seriously thinking of getting English tuition for my son bcos it's getting tougher and I find it harder to coach. Why must our education system make it so tough for parents/children ?
Subjects are getting tougher.

I believe, from a student's perspective, that it is so that our education system would remain first class, and so that Singaporean students would be eloquent in speech, possess higher education certificates and to be globally acknowledged.My parents don't coach me, for the standards are really too high for them.Even my tutors are stumped by the questions set by my school.
That's just my beliefs. No offence to anyone.

livewith_vanilla
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment