Self tutor or Outsource??

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Self tutor or Outsource??

Postby kids_r_innocent » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi parents!!

There have been talks about the effectiveness on parents coaching their children, while on the other side of the coin with the syllabus changing (different from our generations), there are parents who will choose to send their children for tutition instead (also due to lack of time).

Do you teach/coach your child on their studies every now and then? Or do you prefer to outsource it?

Personally, for younger children (preschoolers), i feel that we could coach them for better results (to save money but will have to be very patient!!)

However, for primary school kids, as their syllabus is not the same as that during our times (say 20 years ago..). Do we still have the capability to coach them??? :(

What do you say??? :wink:

kids_r_innocent
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:44 pm

We can try at P1 level. If you find yourself screaming at the kid every now and then, it's time to outsource. Family time should be quality time.
This is especially so for working parents. There's already so little time to spend with the kids so it is not good to use that limited time to scold the kids during the revision. Some types of money cannot be saved.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Brenda10 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:54 pm

cherrygal wrote:We can try at P1 level. If you find yourself screaming at the kid every now and then, it's time to outsource. Family time should be quality time.
This is especially so for working parents. There's already so little time to spend with the kids so it is not good to use that limited time to scold the kids during the revision. Some types of money cannot be saved.

I attended a workshop organized by the school and the two important keys point they highlighted:

The competency level of the subject that we plan to revise with out child

and

Our mood are good and the environment is conductive for initiating a revision session......

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mwchua » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:07 pm

I don't like to shout at my girl whenever I coach her....

But I still believe in daily consistent work....& also once-a-week outsourcing won't create miracle...

So I outsource but still go through some daily work with her. Hopefully can continue this arrangement for as long as I can.

mwchua
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby kids_r_innocent » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:48 pm

Brenda10 wrote:
I attended a workshop organized by the school and the two important keys point they highlighted:

The competency level of the subject that we plan to revise with out child

and

Our mood are good and the environment is conductive for initiating a revision session......

AGREE!! Mood plays an important part when coaching our children. They will sense the tension/happiness in the parent.

kids_r_innocent
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummy of 2 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:55 pm

I outsource to DH when I'm not in the mood to teach :wink:

mummy of 2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kids_r_innocent » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:59 pm

mwchua wrote:I don't like to shout at my girl whenever I coach her....

But I still believe in daily consistent work....& also once-a-week outsourcing won't create miracle...

So I outsource but still go through some daily work with her. Hopefully can continue this arrangement for as long as I can.

How old is your girl now? R u also a working parent? If so, it really takes quite an effort to do it consistently with her. :sweat:

Keep up the good work!! :celebrate:

I also try not to flare up when i am with my children. However, sometimes they will just act "out of normality" and show unwillingness to continue *sigh*... :(

kids_r_innocent
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kids_r_innocent » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:01 am

mummy of 2 wrote:I outsource to DH when I'm not in the mood to teach :wink:

:lol: Tats a good one!! No need to spend $$....

Juz wonder y most of the time, Mummies are the ones doing these work :P

kids_r_innocent
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummy of 2 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:07 am

kids_r_innocent wrote:
mummy of 2 wrote:I outsource to DH when I'm not in the mood to teach :wink:

:lol: Tats a good one!! No need to spend $$....

Juz wonder y most of the time, Mummies are the ones doing these work :P

Exactly, both of us work, so it's only fair to take turns to coach the kid, isn't it? Of cos when the younger one also needs coaching, then have to work out another system. Till then I can remain sane,

mummy of 2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kids_r_innocent » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:17 am

mummy of 2 wrote:
Exactly, both of us work, so it's only fair to take turns to coach the kid, isn't it? Of cos when the younger one also needs coaching, then have to work out another system. Till then I can remain sane,

Hee... it's really not easy being a modern woman hor!! :wink:

kids_r_innocent
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment