is it possible to make it without tuition

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

is it possible to make it without tuition

Postby 24hr-mum » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:09 am

is it possible to make it to good psle grades without tuition, if the mum is homemaker, can teach, and just buy gd bks to work on?
maybe just go for compo class only cos hard to teach compo

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: is it possible to make it without tuition

Postby wonderm » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:12 am

lauren wrote:is it possible to make it to good psle grades without tuition, if the mum is homemaker, can teach, and just buy gd bks to work on?
maybe just go for compo class only cos hard to teach compo

It is possible. It depends on the child and how well mum can teach as well.

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 24hr-mum » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:17 am

oh i have 3, so tryg to save costs
cant give tuition for all subjects for all kids.
my eldest girl is the well behaved type (but will still whine if asking to do a bit more work)
but my boy, tho just k1, cant sit still and lazy to write
sigh....

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wonderm » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:31 am

lauren wrote:oh i have 3, so tryg to save costs
my eldest girl is the well behaved type (but will still whine if asking to do a bit more work)
sigh....

For majority of students, getting suitable tuition will help to improve their grades. However, it is hard to say whether it is absolutely necessary. I have seen very bright and driven kids achieving excellent results without any tuition. It also depends on what is the expectation on "good PSLE grades".

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atutor2001 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:33 am

lauren wrote:oh i have 3, so tryg to save costs
sigh....

I have 3 kids all quite big now. None of them got tuition. All doing fine.

Maybe it is because of my DH - very strict from P1. Set very high std (99 for math kanna scolded) & doesn't believe in spending endless hours studying & always drilling them on the importance of shortcuts and efficiency but result must be of high quality - got careless mistakes, dieeee. Work finished, go and play.

Initially quite painful. However, once the eldest one made it, the others just felt that that is the norm - become self motivated.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 24hr-mum » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:40 am

but times are different now.
the topics they learn esp for math and sci, i dont even know well myslf.
unlike eng/ch - language doesnt change much

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Quintessential Mum » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:42 am

Yes Yes Yes!!!! If you make sure that they have a good foundation in their core subjects from the start, it is possible! :wink: I refrained from jumping on the bandwagon and giving my DD tuition! It worked out fine for her - 4Astars at PSLE! One exception is Ch as my DH and I do not speak/write/read the language at all. Other than that, no tuition for Eng/Maths/Science. I do not want my DD to rely on tuition as i prefer her to set out her own study schedule, develop good study habits, learn to make her own notes, identify her own weak areas and look for ways to overcome it etc. She needs to develop these thinking and decision making skills now and it will be useful for later in life. :lol:

Quintessential Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:46 am

wow, that's very gd!
how old is ur girl now?
these discipline and study skills are important when they go sec sch.

sometimes tuition takes up a lot of time travelling
but kids like my boy are impossible to teach at home.
i spend half the time spanking....

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Quintessential Mum » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:46 am

lauren wrote:but times are different now.

Lauren - for maths - you can purchase the books from popular - like andrew er etc and learn the topics beforehand. Look out for those with working solutions. Practice makes perfect.

For science - go online and check out resources for each topic. There are quite a number of good websites. I can't recall them now as it has been a couple of years. Will check and let you know.

Do not despair! There are loads of resources on the net nowdays. You may want to check if the school runs maths workshops for parents too. 8)

Quintessential Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby wonderm » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:47 am

lauren wrote:but times are different now.

Don't think that maths and science concepts have changed over time? What they learn in these subjects in primary schools are different from what were taught at the same level years ago. However, the same concepts apply. Need not worry too much.

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment