is science tuition necessary for P3 or wait til upp pri?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

is science tuition necessary for P3 or wait til upp pri?

Postby 24hr-mum » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:21 am

if dont start science tuition frm P3, wil foundation be affected, like math? difficult to catch up later?

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: is science tuition necessary for P3 or wait til upp pri?

Postby AuntieKiasi » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:57 am

lauren wrote:if dont start science tuition frm P3, wil foundation be affected, like math? difficult to catch up later?

hmmm...I don't know. But I am gonna send my P2 boy for science enrichment classes this Dec holidays. I guess that is being kiasu & kiasi.

I am doing that cos ds expressed interest in science.

AuntieKiasi
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:01 pm

oh, my girl already has eng n ch compo lessons,
and maths she is struggling.
so i m hesitant to put in science when she P3 next year..........

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:07 pm

Actually, it really depends on individual.

My hubby and I hated science so this is not a subject that we can coach. With that, I put them through science camps to instil their interest (afraid genetically they won't like science). We also subscribe to young scientist mag which they enjoy reading. My P3 has science enrichment classes which she enjoys tremendously since they do experiments in class and the teacher also taught them on exams stuff.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Jennifer » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:10 pm

Foundation in Sci is very impt. Some topics like systems and cycles are built upon each year. Plus come P6, there might not be enough time to revise the past years topics.

During my elder boy's pri sch days, I made sure he understood each year syllabus well.

Why wait till last min when we have time now? JMHO

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peterch » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:21 pm

MMM wrote:Actually, it really depends on individual.

My hubby and I hated science so this is not a subject that we can coach. With that, I put them through science camps to instil their interest (afraid genetically they won't like science). We also subscribe to young scientist mag which they enjoy reading. My P3 has science enrichment classes which she enjoys tremendously since they do experiments in class and the teacher also taught them on exams stuff.

Agree, this really depends on individual. But I think, such a science camp could give us a picture how our kids interest.

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:54 pm

Jennifer wrote:Foundation in Sci is very impt. Some topics like systems and cycles are built upon each year. Plus come P6, there might not be enough time to revise the past years topics.

During my elder boy's pri sch days, I made sure he understood each year syllabus well.

VERY AGREED
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:03 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Foundation in Sci is very impt. Some topics like systems and cycles are built upon each year. Plus come P6, there might not be enough time to revise the past years topics.

VERY AGREED

My elder 2 children didn't have science tuition? It was alright for them. Except for my 3rd one - he just couldn't handle science and we started him on tuition this year that he's in p5.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby waterfall » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:52 pm

Which center ? :lol:

waterfall
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MMM » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:56 pm

waterfall wrote:

Which center ? :lol:

For camp, we send them to discovery camp. Value for $ camp. $350 for 1 week 9-5pm.

For enrichment, my P3 is going to extraedge at Serangoon garden.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment