Tuition / Enrichment at Secondary level

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Tuition / Enrichment at Secondary level

Postby lizawa » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:05 pm

Is it necessary / essential for secondary level students to go for tuition or enrichment ?

Any parents with secondary school children like to comment on this ?

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Zann » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:01 pm

From among my friends, many of their children stop tuition unless they really can't cope. I guess for such age group there is no way you can 'force' them already as they may go against you. From my own survey of some tuition centres' time table, most classes are meant for primary level, the secondary classes size are very small too. Can more parents share with us?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby micko07 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:43 pm

Imo, not really.
It's more important that you are disciplined enough to revise consistently, do your homework and pay attention in class. As long as you work hard, you can do without tuition, especially for muggable subjects like Maths, Sciences. Humanities is more skill-based so once you get the knack of answering questions, it should be alright (can be self-acquired; I went from Cs to As without tuition). I've only had tuition in Chinese and English; Chinese because I'm horrible at it and English because I kiasu (and I liked the lessons).

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jzapple » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:34 pm

Can it really work out ? Hearing this from u make me feel more at ease as I am going to pull my child out of a few tuitions because of the recent financial crisis . :(

jzapple
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby pinky » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:23 am

I agree with Micko07 that paying attention in class and being consistent
in schoolwork help in managing all the subjects. I discussed with my son
on his needs and we both agreed to have tuition in English and HMT only.
I feel languages are important especially English because they need to
answer essay questions and you need a strong foundation in English to
do so.
As for Maths and Science, ditto for above. The first few chapters are actually
a revision of what they learnt in P6 but more in depth.
Anyway, I feel this first 6 months is for him to get use to the rigours of sec school life and
will assess his performance after his SA1 exam before
deciding the next step.

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lizawa » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:26 pm

Hi,

Did most Sec 1 students have their first test already ? My son had a series of tests the past 2 weeks. We haven't got all the papers back yet. He felt Geography, History and IS tests fairly difficult. How do your kids study for these subjects ?

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Zann » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:06 am

lizawa wrote:Hi,

Did most Sec 1 students have their first test already ? My son had a series of tests the past 2 weeks. We haven't got all the papers back yet. He felt Geography, History and IS tests fairly difficult. How do your kids study for these subjects ?

Hi Lizawa, just wondering whether your son still buy outside assessment to practice? Kind to share how he prepare for test nowadays? My son also have had some test and still on going. How's HCL test standard in your school so far? I have heard IP school HCL varies.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby lizawa » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:19 am

Zann wrote:Hi Lizawa, just wondering whether your son still buy outside assessment to practice? Kind to share how he prepare for test nowadays? My son also have had some test and still on going. How's HCL test standard in your school so far? I have heard IP school HCL varies.

I actually bought 1 English and 1 Chinese assessment book for him during the Dec hols. But he hardly has time to do them.

Not sure how the HCL test standard compare to other schools. Have never seen other schools tests. He has worksheets and letter/essay writing, finding meaning etc to do. Tests wise, haven't seen the actual paper yet.

I just asked him to go through the teachers' notes and textbooks before tests. So again, not very sure if this works. So far, he only got back his Maths paper, which is quite ok since his Maths is relatively stronger than other subjects.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

hi

Postby kiasu_mum75 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:27 am

my ten cents worth...not really necessary unless the kid asks for tuition himself/herself... else..complete waste of money..

kiasu_mum75
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby yismoms » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:52 am

Hi lizawa,

My gal will be in Sec 1 next year. Care to share which area we need to prepare them for S1. I understand it will be totally different from primary. Did you send your son for tuition? I went to popular fair and dont know what assessment book to get for them. Care to share. Thanks in advance :pray:

lizawa wrote:
Zann wrote:Hi Lizawa, just wondering whether your son still buy outside assessment to practice? Kind to share how he prepare for test nowadays? My son also have had some test and still on going. How's HCL test standard in your school so far? I have heard IP school HCL varies.

I actually bought 1 English and 1 Chinese assessment book for him during the Dec hols. But he hardly has time to do them.

Not sure how the HCL test standard compare to other schools. Have never seen other schools tests. He has worksheets and letter/essay writing, finding meaning etc to do. Tests wise, haven't seen the actual paper yet.

I just asked him to go through the teachers' notes and textbooks before tests. So again, not very sure if this works. So far, he only got back his Maths paper, which is quite ok since his Maths is relatively stronger than other subjects.

yismoms
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment