Tuition / Enrichment at Secondary level

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
ThuThuTrainnn146
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Tuition / Enrichment at Secondary level

Post by ThuThuTrainnn146 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 am

mummyxoxo wrote:
Cassiopeia_Ryssa wrote:My DD actually wanted tuition, but her schedule is too packed.
I always believe that tuition is a need and not a want. If your dd's results is not in the red light, should be not necessary for her
Hi, I agree with mommyxoxo that tuition should not be necessary if your dd is still doing alright with her school works. If she wants to practise more to get better results, she may try looking for online resources such as question bank and teaching videos so that she can learn anytime she wants at home and won't affect her schedule much :smile:

passioninlearning
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Post by passioninlearning » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:43 am

ThuThuTrainnn146 wrote:
mummyxoxo wrote:
Cassiopeia_Ryssa wrote:My DD actually wanted tuition, but her schedule is too packed.
I always believe that tuition is a need and not a want. If your dd's results is not in the red light, should be not necessary for her
Hi, I agree with mommyxoxo that tuition should not be necessary if your dd is still doing alright with her school works. If she wants to practise more to get better results, she may try looking for online resources such as question bank and teaching videos so that she can learn anytime she wants at home and won't affect her schedule much :smile:
It depends on a case-to-case basis.

Sharing my view as an educator, and a parent as well, I often tell parents that it is possible to get very good grades without tuition. The role of educators is essentially, to catalyse learning.

Given the heavy schedule, sometimes it helps that there is an educator around to point out certain pitfalls in concepts, though a student can simply learn to avoid the pitfalls as well, via repeated practising.

At the end of the day, it boils down the the child's attitude, and expectations.

ThuThuTrainnn146
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by ThuThuTrainnn146 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Has anyone heard of or tried online tutoring for your children?

Sweet Joy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Sweet Joy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:20 pm

ThuThuTrainnn146 wrote:Has anyone heard of or tried online tutoring for your children?
Hi, I have tried online tutoring on an ad hoc basis. My DS needed some help with his essays. With a friend's recommendation, I used this service which helped to examine my DS writing with a detailed report. I used it twice so far.DS is now more aware of his strengths and weaknesses.

If you are keen, you can visit https://quintessentiallywriting.wordpress.com.

All the best!

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by sean wife » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:32 pm

Sweet Joy wrote:
ThuThuTrainnn146 wrote:Has anyone heard of or tried online tutoring for your children?
Hi, I have tried online tutoring on an ad hoc basis. My DS needed some help with his essays. With a friend's recommendation, I used this service which helped to examine my DS writing with a detailed report. I used it twice so far.DS is now more aware of his strengths and weaknesses.

All the best!
Hi Sweet Joy,

Can you provide some feedback on how their review of essay is like?

For e.g. do they give generic comments like ‘Vocabulary can be improved’ (which is commonly how school teachers provide their comments), or will they suggest what better vocabulary can be used? For the story plot, do they also give specific comments on how to improve the plot?

Thanks in advance!

Sweet Joy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Sweet Joy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:47 pm

sean wife wrote:
Sweet Joy wrote:

All the best!
Hi Sweet Joy,

Can you provide some feedback on how their review of essay is like?

For e.g. do they give generic comments like ‘Vocabulary can be improved’ (which is commonly how school teachers provide their comments), or will they suggest what better vocabulary can be used? For the story plot, do they also give specific comments on how to improve the plot?

Thanks in advance!
Hi, the report comes in the form of a template and comments on the various components in the essay, e.g. plot, characters, complication in the story, etc. There is another section on the language components e.g. tenses, subject-verb agreement, vocabulary, etc. as well. The essay is marked with some comments on how to improve it and given a grade, along with the report.

Generally, I am quite satisfied with the service. It is quite a time saver too! DS simply does not have much time for tuition and he is more aware of how he writes now.

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by sean wife » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:58 pm

Thanks sweet joy. Will give it a try for one essay first!

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:78

Post by Estéema » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:08 pm

Sweet Joy wrote:

All the best!

Truly appreciate your lead/recommendations!

:thankyou:

ThuThuTrainnn146
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by ThuThuTrainnn146 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:45 pm

Sweet Joy wrote: Hi, I have tried online tutoring on an ad hoc basis. My DS needed some help with his essays. With a friend's recommendation, I used this service which helped to examine my DS writing with a detailed report. I used it twice so far.DS is now more aware of his strengths and weaknesses.

All the best!
Hi, thanks for your suggestion! But have you heard of something similar for Secondary Math?

ThuThuTrainnn146
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by ThuThuTrainnn146 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:58 am

Hey parents,
How are your children doing on CA1? My kids said they did fine, but there were some questions that were quite difficult for them so they left some blanks. Overall, they said should be okay and can get B or A. How's about yours? :rahrah: