All About Preschool Enrichment

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
minniemousewith2babies
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: All About Preschool Enrichment

Post by minniemousewith2babies » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:06 pm

Noreen Azli wrote:Hi Mommies,

I'm new here.

My family and i just moved back to Singapore after almost 2 years living in UK.

I'm currently looking for a good English Enrichment programs in the East for my 5 years old daughter who is struggling to adapt with Singapore education system and also a toddler playgroup for my 19 months old baby girl. I really appreciate it if any of you can give me any good recommendations... Thanks
Hey Noreen!

Welcome back to SG! :rahrah:

I've just gone for a trial class in an enrichment centre in Bedok North - The Tots' Classroom.

I quite love their teaching method - create opportunities to play so that the kids will be interested to learn. This is something really unique in Singapore.

My DS is coming to 5 this year and I've let him tried the Thinking Child & Communication Child which let him go through fun activities while learning. Parents are allowed to join in the classes, so I participated and it is pretty good.
The teachers will lead the activities, and for every new activity, they will briefly explain to me the objectives. At the end of it, they want me to re-cap with the kids at home.

I've also enrolled my 3 yo to the Physical Child and basically, there are a series of activities to keep her interested. True enough, she got so happy at the end of the class.

You might want to call them for free trial classes as well. :)

dd1216
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by dd1216 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:50 am

My son is in k1 this year. He enjoyed his computer classes. He will insist on going to school on this particular day though he's not well as he has computer classes.

Does that tell his interest? How can I develop him?

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Don't know which enrichment activities to enrol

Post by CoffeeCat » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:34 pm

dkent76 wrote:I want to enrol my 5 year old son to enrichment activities but don't know which to send him to. I want to eventually discover his interests and talents. Eg music, drama, art etc.. How do you know what your child is really interested in so that you can nurture your child’s talent? I don't want to be sending him to some class that is currently trending or popular just for the sake of it.

:?:
Just to add that some children's talents might blossom quite late and also depending on their exposure.. hence must be flexible and not locked in their "interests and talents" at age 5. =)

lovellejoy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by lovellejoy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:33 am

minniemousewith2babies wrote:Hey Mommies, I'm new here. :rahrah:

Any recommendation for enrichment programs in Bedok or East area?

My DS has been with GUG for 1 year plus and is pretty good. Now I'm contemplating whether to let my DD go with GUG or try out other enrichment centres, preferably in the East if it's weekends as it is more convenient to meet my MIL.
Hi Minniemouse,

I've heard many parents mention GUG, not sure exactly what kind of programs they conduct? Can you briefly share about what they do?
My dd has been with a private phonics tutor for a while now and is showing progress which I am pretty pleased with, but just here to explore what others programs are available in the market as well! Her tutor uses Jolly Phonics in her classes and charges a pretty reasonable rate for home enrichment and I am quite happy with her progress as well, so the reason I haven't been enrolling dd in other programs is due to the larger cost too and since she has been enjoying her lessons, I didn't see a need to stop them. But just curious about other programs that are available...Never enrolled dd in enrichment centres before, she has been having her 1-to-1 sessions at home since we found her teacher and she enjoys them very much :)

bebe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by bebe » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:00 am

GUG uses zoo phonics, which is different from Jolly phonics. My son went to GUG when he was 14 months old, and I think it gives me a balanced exposure in term of phonetical sounds, art and craft, music and rhymes. I switched him to a kindergarten this year. This Kindergarten uses Jolly phonics which I think my boy enjoys better. The songs are more lively and catchy. For GUG, it can be quite boring to keep repeating the same chant "A is Alligator, A A A; B is for ..."
In fact, for GUG it took me a while to correct him when he kept thinking that those animals really makes "phonetical sounds" in real life.
One of the reasons for withdrawing him is the fee and the school hours. GUG Kindergarten lessons are conducted 50 weeks per year, meaning they do not follow MOE holiday and lessons are ongoing even for Mar/Sep/June/Dec holiday. There is no fee refund or credits if you want to bring the kids to travel during the school holiday. In addition, the fee are quite expensive and has been increasingly yearly.

lovellejoy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by lovellejoy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:28 pm

bebe wrote:GUG uses zoo phonics, which is different from Jolly phonics. My son went to GUG when he was 14 months old, and I think it gives me a balanced exposure in term of phonetical sounds, art and craft, music and rhymes. I switched him to a kindergarten this year. This Kindergarten uses Jolly phonics which I think my boy enjoys better. The songs are more lively and catchy. For GUG, it can be quite boring to keep repeating the same chant "A is Alligator, A A A; B is for ..."
In fact, for GUG it took me a while to correct him when he kept thinking that those animals really makes "phonetical sounds" in real life.
One of the reasons for withdrawing him is the fee and the school hours. GUG Kindergarten lessons are conducted 50 weeks per year, meaning they do not follow MOE holiday and lessons are ongoing even for Mar/Sep/June/Dec holiday. There is no fee refund or credits if you want to bring the kids to travel during the school holiday. In addition, the fee are quite expensive and has been increasingly yearly.
I see...Like that very cheat money! ):
Dd has been having extra phonics enrichment at home and her school is using Jolly Phonics too, so it complements her learning very well. You may want to consider dd's teacher if you are keen on enhancing your ds's learning, she does lots of activities with dd at home which would usually be impossible to do substantially in a group setting, and the best part, fees are reasonable too hehe...

Beatrice_NoQ
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Beatrice_NoQ » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:04 pm

dd1216 wrote:My son is in k1 this year. He enjoyed his computer classes. He will insist on going to school on this particular day though he's not well as he has computer classes.

Does that tell his interest? How can I develop him?
You can get him his own personalized laptop at home, and find out what exactly he has been doing in his computer classes at school, and replicate that at home! computer skills aren't difficult to pick up, i'm sure you won't have to send him for extra classes for that.

tinapang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by tinapang » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:25 pm

hi lovellejoy,

can you share the tutor contact ..
** i am new to the forum **
my email : jy_pang@yahoo.com.sg

mommyfel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by mommyfel » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:27 pm

Any recommendation for Mathematics enrichment for a K1 child? My girl is very weak in Math. Simple addition example: X+1 can takes her a while to get the answer right.

sunset_dae
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by sunset_dae » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:44 pm

U can try abacus class CMA, my son joined since 3.5 yrs, now P1.
Maths test results has always been full marks.
u may PM me for referral discount.

mommyfel wrote:Any recommendation for Mathematics enrichment for a K1 child? My girl is very weak in Math. Simple addition example: X+1 can takes her a while to get the answer right.