Bad Teachers

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Bad Teachers

Postby Cockroach » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:13 pm

:?: Some of us are worried upon the fact that some teachers are being irresponsible or being racist

Cockroach
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:21 pm

Teachers are only human

:D

tankee
Site Admin

Postby janet88 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:52 pm

Teaching requires compassion but teachers are humans after all and it's not easy to have the same compassion day after day, year after year.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Bad Teachers

Postby jedamum » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:08 pm

Cockroach wrote::?: Some of us are worried upon the fact that some teachers are being irresponsible or being racist

what capacity are you writing as?
a parent? a student?
teachers in questions are for which level? preschools? primary schs? tertiary?
one off events or constant unacceptable acts?
you encountered such acts first hand, or do you hearsay from your friends?
etc etc...

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby starlight1968sg » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:21 pm

Teaching is an occupation.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby markfch » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:43 pm

A colleague of mine told me this anecdote recently. One day her teacher asked her primary sch classmate to clean up some litter that was on the floor. The classmate's response was 'I'm not your maid ok!' and casually walked off.

So there are bad teachers just as there are also bad students. Not siding teachers, but if all my students are like the above, I'll become a bad teacher too.
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:54 pm

markfch wrote:A colleague of mine told me this anecdote recently. One day her teacher asked her primary sch classmate to clean up some litter that was on the floor. The classmate's response was 'I'm not your maid ok!' and casually walked off.

So there are bad teachers just as there are also bad students. Not siding teachers, but if all my students are like the above, I'll become a bad teacher too.

if your students are like that, you should just quit instead of becoming a bad teacher.
bad teachers and teachers having a bad day are different, no?

TS should provide more info.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby cherrygal » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:47 am

How many of us have joked with our former schoolmates or friends that have become teachers that we wouldn't want to send our kids to their schools?

I know of many irritating and weird people who have become teachers. We always wonder how the MOE selects teachers...

Sometimes, academic brilliance does not equate with being a good teacher. A good teacher needs to have good EQ, an enormous amount of patience and genuinely care for the students. Today, too many teachers and principals are chasing after promotions that they forget their initial passion for teaching.

I shudder to think that that pedophile was almost a teacher...

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:11 am

insider wrote:
cherrygal wrote:A good teacher needs to have good EQ, an enormous amount of patience and genuinely care for the students. Today, too many teachers and principals are chasing after promotions that they forget their initial passion for teaching.

teaching is not a very 'good' job.

if really want all these qualities in teachers, then MOE would not be able to recruit enough teachers. Not many teachers meet the above requirements and we just have to live with it otherwise, many schools in all levels may have to close down...

Yup...after a few years, teachers will just teach for the salary. People may join teaching line bcos they are not able to find jobs...so there is no compassion at all.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby duriz » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:17 am

starlight1968sg wrote:Teaching is an occupation.

Disagree.

For some, teaching is a passion.

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment