Is it nec to get tuition for Pre-school kids going to P1 ?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Is it nec to get tuition for Pre-school kids going to P1 ?

Postby bubbleberry9 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:18 am

Hi, all,

I have a son who is in K2 this year and is preparing to go P1 nxt year.
Though we have not really decided on which school he would be going to, however, am thinking of getting him a headstart before P1 really starts.

Howevere, recently when i called up 1 tuition agency, and tells him that I need to get some tuition for my kid who is in K2, he says tht it may be too early and this may have adverse effect nxt time he went P1. moreevre, have not really noe which school he is going to and since, from P1 onwards he would be doing alot of homework, hence why the stress to start him on tuition so early.

But, i do understand from some friends out there who has aredi started tuition since K2 and is preparing for P1 nxt year. Though not sure how effective this may be or would there really be any side effects, i truly need some honest opinion as to where should I let him start on 1-1 home tuition since he does have quite some time at home . :? :?

bubbleberry9
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Is it nec to get tuition for Pre-school kids going to P1

Postby janet88 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:26 am

bubbleberry9 wrote:I have a son who is in K2 this year and is preparing to go P1 nxt year.
Though we have not really decided on which school he would be going to, however, am thinking of getting him a headstart before P1 really starts.

But, i do understand from some friends out there who has aredi started tuition since K2 and is preparing for P1 nxt year. Though not sure how effective this may be or would there really be any side effects, i truly need some honest opinion as to where should I let him start on 1-1 home tuition since he does have quite some time at home . :? :?

My son started at K2 for Chinese tuition - group. Whole idea is to give him more exposure to Chinese and 汉语拼音. We speak mainly Eng at home.
Younger child just started P1 this year...signed her up for enrichment lessons at RC for Eng and Maths. She is still continuing with Eng and Maths at RC this year.

Personally, I feel that 1-1 home tuition is not necessary at K2. Perhaps you can consider that in P1. A child should be mentally ready for P1, but not over-ready, or he/she will be bored when teacher teaches the class.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jesschan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:33 am

If your child can read and write simple English and can understand simple instructions, I personally feel that there is no need to attend any academic-related enrichment class. As for Chinese, it will be good to know hanyupinyin and recognise simple characters. I think if you can afford the time and resources, attending non-academic classes such as swimming, speech and drama, art, music etc.. will be more useful.

jesschan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Is it nec to get tuition for Pre-school kids going to P1

Postby AppleCrumble » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:04 pm

bubbleberry9 wrote:Hi, all,

I have a son who is in K2 this year and is preparing to go P1 nxt year.

Howevere, recently when i called up 1 tuition agency, and tells him that I need to get some tuition for my kid who is in K2, he says tht it may be too early and this may have adverse effect nxt time he went P1. moreevre, have not really noe which school he is going to and since, from P1 onwards he would be doing alot of homework, hence why the stress to start him on tuition so early.

IMHO, don't think it is necessary to have 1-1 tuition at K2. The only important thing to prepare your kid to P1 is to ensure that he is able to read and write English + having some basic arithmetic skills. You can do this with your kid regularly at home. Save money and also provide a parent-child bonding time for both of you.

Reason being that at P1, Maths is taught in English and having a good grasp of the English language would facilitate understanding mathematical concepts and word problem sums taught in school .

As for Chinese, if your kid is in an English-speaking environment, it would be good to consider to expose him to hanyu pinyin at K2 (if his current school is not doing so). You can do this through either at home (if you feel you can) or go for some light Chinese enrichment class.

It does boost the child's self-confidence in adjusting to primary school if he is able to keep up with his schoolwork when he is in P1.

:D

AppleCrumble
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby SnowieBob » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Hello there,

Personally I'm teaching music and academic, not a parent. I think K2 is way too young to start 1-1, group classes is the max if you wish to let him be ready for P1. Group classes enable him to make friends and also adapt the similar surrounding when he reaches P1 next year. 1-1 tuition will be quite boring for him now.
But if you are a English speaking family(then I assume the child English is good), I think you might want him to learn Han Yu Pin Ying first. Because most of my student especially from English speaking family have problem with that initially. If you are Chinese speaking family I suggest it's time to start reading simple story books. Primary school English is rather hard to teach and make them remember straight and fast. It takes time and reading since young is superb for them.

SnowieBob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby janet88 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi Parents of K2s,
Let the kids enjoy K2...esp with MOE's new focus of no examinations at P1/2. However, that is not to say ALL FUN. At 6 years of age, 1-1 home tuition is stressful and will frighten the poor child.

Kids usually attend kindergarten, so they are still learning. On the part of the parents, they can reinforce what the kindergarten teachers are doing.
Reading can be boring if we keep emphasizing on it...perhaps we can get the child to describe the picture in the book...this may get the child to be creative too.

Spelling usually starts in Term 2 or 3...my daughter was rather slow last year although some of her classmates were ready for it. So her teacher delayed spelling till Term 3. I happened to see the RC notice board at the lift and decided to give the teacher a call. Signed up daughter for it and she was more prepared with K2 syllabus after that. She also had to learn spelling for Eng as well for Maths (eg numbers) in RC and overcame the phobia.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bubbleberry9 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:16 pm

Hi, Dear parents\non-parents

Am really glad to see your advice coming in from different perspective, having been quite in a delima. I think you are right that starting 1-1 tuition in K2 maybe too early.

He currently does attend weekly ICR classes for phonics since last year, and i would say this reallly helps to strength his base for english.

Though he usually speak english at home with us, he can also speak mandarin but i think he is not very expose to chinese itself.. however, i think u guys are right that indeed hanyu pinyin is quite important, prior to primary school starts. I think I may start him on some group class for hanyu pinying...

recently i enrolled him on some arithemtic abacus course in CC, but I think he was really stress out by the teacher cos there were K2, P1 , P2 and P3 students all in one class, and i think the teacher give homework (6 sheets to do at home) which I find is quite alot.
and in addition have to prepare for nxt lessions worksheets, means he need to understand what is being taught in this lession and nxt lesson.
this really stress him out and demoralise him, as we couldn't finish it on time. I decided to remove him from the rest of the lessons as I felt he wasn't really prepared for it and this may eventually hve side effects on his keeness on learning...

BTW, Dear Janetlee,
is it true that the new sllaybus onwards hv no more exams for P1 /P2 ? need ur enlightenment on this as this is the first time i heard of this ?

bubbleberry9
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby janet88 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:27 pm

bubbleberry9 wrote:Hi, Dear parents\non-parents

Am really glad to see your advice coming in from different perspective, having been quite in a delima. I think you are right that starting 1-1 tuition in K2 maybe too early.

He currently does attend weekly ICR classes for phonics since last year, and i would say this reallly helps to strength his base for english.

Though he usually speak english at home with us, he can also speak mandarin but i think he is not very expose to chinese itself.. however, i think u guys are right that indeed hanyu pinyin is quite important, prior to primary school starts. I think I may start him on some group class for hanyu pinying...

BTW, Dear Janet,
is it true that the new sllaybus onwards hv no more exams for P1 /P2 ? need ur enlightenment on this as this is the first time i heard of this ?

I cannot speak for all schools, but daughter's school (CHIJ Toa Payoh) doesn't have CA (continual assessment) or SA (semestral exams)...but there will be formative assessments instead. SA1 (around May) as well as SA2 (Oct) will start in P3.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MoonFlower » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:35 am

Just to share, at K1, K2 level I feel should the children enjoy learning and see school as a happy place to go. Too much tuitions will bore them and making them "think" that going school is not fun. At such age, should concentrate on build up their motor skill either fine or gross.
If yr child is learning phonic it is not adviseable to learn han yu pin yin together as the child will get confuse with the sound. In fact you may wonder why Kindergarten don't teach han yu pin yin but phonic. As many years back, MOE had urge parents not to teach any han yu pin yin and teachers also tell parents to let the teachin job to the school. (*this is reported on newspaper replied by MOE). My ds was in the pilot programme (new curriculum) 5,6 years back. I never teach him or send him to han yu pin yin class, and he is fine with his learning and in his school they all take higher chin. Ifact when I use the han yu pin yin to type I'm the one always asking him for the pin yin. :D
To me, Han yu pin yin is just a learning aid to help, end of the day it's more important to recognise the chinese words. Children learn and pick up things fast therefore no hurry to send for such classes and if you notice there are now lesser such han yu pin yin classes around.

MoonFlower
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Trapwithin » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:11 am

Group tuition for languages are actually more beneficial for them compared to 1-to-1. The class dynamics and interactions will make learning more interesting and fun considering that most K1-K2 classes are incorporated with interactive teaching, games and quiz.

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment