enrichment from p4-6? or tuition?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

enrichment from p4-6? or tuition?

Postby bigmomma123 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:25 am

Hi guys,

enrichment classes typically don't benefit the kids in terms of results improvement..

maybe confidence or public speaking etc..

wanna find out from you -
1. what makes a good enrichment center? do you expect results improvement? e.g. i send my child to a math enrichment class in the East but her results are not improving. how?

2. will you check your child to an enrichment center if she's in p4-6 where exams are important.. what is the best age to send them for enrichment in your opinion?

Thanks!

bigmomma
:lol:

bigmomma123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: enrichment from p4-6? or tuition?

Postby wonderm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:01 pm

bigmomma123 wrote:Hi guys,

enrichment classes typically don't benefit the kids in terms of results improvement..

maybe confidence or public speaking etc..

wanna find out from you -
1. what makes a good enrichment center? do you expect results improvement? e.g. i send my child to a math enrichment class in the East but her results are not improving. how?

2. will you check your child to an enrichment center if she's in p4-6 where exams are important.. what is the best age to send them for enrichment in your opinion?

Thanks!

bigmomma
:lol:

Not sure why you have this impression. I sent my DS to TLL Maths lessons from middle of P4, he benefited tremendously from the lessons there. He continued with them till PSLE and did well. He is in Sec school now, no longer attending any external lessons.

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bigmomma123 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:06 pm

wonderm wrote:
Not sure why you have this impression. I sent my DS to TLL Maths lessons from middle of P4, he benefited tremendously from the lessons there. He continued with them till PSLE and did well. He is in Sec school now, no longer attending any external lessons.

really!! can share with me how are lessons conducted and whether they are in line with MOE curriculum/techniques?

there are some 'unorthodox' techniques that a child can use to get to the answer quickly but the schs don't approve..

bigmomma123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby wonderm » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:22 pm

bigmomma123 wrote:
wonderm wrote:

really!! can share with me how are lessons conducted and whether they are in line with MOE curriculum/techniques?

there are some 'unorthodox' techniques that a child can use to get to the answer quickly but the schs don't approve..

My DS attended their lessons a few years ago. Everything they learnt there was aligned to MOE curriculum. The standard is pitched slightly higher though.

In terms of how lessons were conducted, the teacher would go through a few examples in class, and the students would do the rest of the questions in the worksheet at home. The pace is rather fast, I think if the child is weak in foundation and if there is no one to consult at home, he/she may find it hard to follow. I think it benefits those who are doing well in school but wish to be stretched with more challenging sums.

I don't think they use "unorthodox techniques". I would have pulled my DS out if I saw any of that because we believe a sound foundation is very important. We had TLL to thank for setting sound foundation so that DS does not need maths tuition anymore in Sec school.

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bigmomma123 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:25 pm

sorry, is that a tuition center or an enrichment center?? :?

bigmomma123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby wonderm » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:25 pm

bigmomma123 wrote:sorry, is that a tuition center or an enrichment center?? :?

I call it enrichment centre. I suppose you can also call it tuition centre. I don't think there is a commonly agreed distinction.

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bigmomma123 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:40 pm

wonderm wrote:

I call it enrichment centre. I suppose you can also call it tuition centre. I don't think there is a commonly agreed distinction.

i think enrichment center e.g. chinese enrichment centers don't focus on school syllabus.. just teach things e.g. story telling and hv fun

in context of math enrichment centers, some are like that too.. don't focus on moe syllabus.. aim to increase social skills/confidence.

thats not smthing tuition centers focus on

bigmomma123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby wonderm » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:00 pm

bigmomma123 wrote:
wonderm wrote:

i think enrichment center e.g. chinese enrichment centers don't focus on school syllabus.. just teach things e.g. story telling and hv fun

in context of math enrichment centers, some are like that too.. don't focus on moe syllabus.. aim to increase social skills/confidence.

thats not smthing tuition centers focus on

To me, enrichment centres offer something which is beyond what the kids already learnt in class. It is either in terms breath or depth. But I think most centres still stay aligned to exam requirements when the kids are in upper primary. Of course, if the course names are totally different from school subjects, we know it will not be as related to school syllabus.

In any case, I think you don't need to worry about the terminology. Just look at the course content offered and decide if it is suitable for your child?

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment