Can you accept that the tutor teach wrongly?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Should u give chance to tutors who made mistakes in teaching?

Yes I will
14%
No I won't
57%
Yes if he/she is really good
29%

Total votes : 21

Can you accept that the tutor teach wrongly?

Postby verykiasumummy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:14 pm

hi all,

just last night, i was looking thru my son's chi workbook n found many mistakes!! out of 6 questions, 4 were wrong... i was so angry, and ask him what happen.. he told me he dunno, said it was the tutor who taught him to do tat...

having know him, i thought he was lying, so i kept quiet... until the tutor came n my son ask him about the wrong ans n the tutor said, "oh sorry, i havent been checking the dictionary for so long, sorry that it is wrong. it should be...."

i was actually at the door and not in the room when i heard this... i was like, feeling the urge to tell him off... excuse me, u r the tutor, what do u mean tat u haven been checking??

anyway, i bear with it till the end of the lesson, not mentioning this at all... i mean, i dunno if i will scold him for tat or not, i still think it is wrong to do that... but reflecting to myself, i was so good in chi in my days too, but i couldnt rmb how to chk the dictionary now too...

duno whether should i forgive him or ask him to go... should i be more tolerant? any parent here has the same kind of exp b4? i couldnt sleep thru n i kept thinking whether to ask him to leave... he hasnt been teaching my son for long, like 3mths, but so far so good, i dunno if i should change him...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ppnqq » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:58 pm

If it happens only just once, I will give him a chance but if this happens very often, I will doubt his ability to teach in this particular subject and may not let him continue with this subject anymore but only the other subjects if he is good. Of course out he will go if he is not a good tutor.

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hquek » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:03 pm

I hire a tutor based on his ability to teach a subject. If he can make quite a few mistakes in primary level work, I will have serious doubts on his capability in that field. It sounds unforgiving - yes. But then, your child is only in that level for 1 year. Money wasted can still forget it; but time wasted can never be recovered.

If I am paying good money, I expect better quality. If I pay peanuts, then I may just close one eye and monitor.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Eddow » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:27 pm

I just have a not-so-good experience with an indian undergrad teaching my DS in English.

As usual, tutor will allocate homework for DS the week before. So after this wk lesson, I flip thru DS assesement book and realised that the last homework was not marked at all, not a single page.

Got angry, question DS. I asked what was done during the lesson (as I was not at home). He showed me 4 pages of comprehension close (without helping words) That's all was done in the 1.5 hr!!! Then I ask him what tutor was doing when he's doing his work. He said tutor was reading her newspaper !!! Got even angry, sms her, waiting for an explaination. Guess what ... she replied that she wanted to forcus on the compre close which DS is weak in. (Yes I do agree and I don't interfere in how she teach, as long as she teach the correct stuff). She said she timed DS for the compre close that he's doing, while waiting for him, she do her own work !!! To give her the one and only chance, I replied back nicely that she could have make use of the "waiting time" to mark his prev. hw. She then replied back "ok I'll do the next time"

What is this ??? We paid hourly to the tutor and she is taking the paid hour to do her own things ??!! Angry right ? Well, just give one more chance and see how.....

Eddow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hquek » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Eddow wrote:As usual, tutor will allocate homework for DS the week before. So after this wk lesson, I flip thru DS assesement book and realised that the last homework was not marked at all, not a single page.

Guess what ... she replied that she wanted to forcus on the compre close which DS is weak in. (Yes I do agree and I don't interfere in how she teach, as long as she teach the correct stuff). She said she timed DS for the compre close that he's doing, while waiting for him, she do her own work !!! To give her the one and only chance, I replied back nicely that she could have make use of the "waiting time" to mark his prev. hw. She then replied back "ok I'll do the next time"

What is this ??? We paid hourly to the tutor and she is taking the paid hour to do her own things ??!! Angry right ? Well, just give one more chance and see how.....

Can understand your fury. If she was waiting for him to finish and not guiding him/providing pointers, she could have assigned this as homework (ie when $ is not tick tocking away) or be marking his work. Why would I want to pay someone to sit and watch my kid do something? Haven't had a tutor for my P1 kid but I would rather the tutor explain and guide - than sit and watch him do his work.

Don't say tutors, I get a bit miffed when we put in effort to do work and teachers don't mark it. If it's not important enough to mark, kindly don't assign as homework....bl**dy waste of time and energy.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:52 pm

1 to 1 lesson seems very wasteful if tutor simply sits & wait for child to complete worksheets. Parents can do that too. No need to employ tutor

I would expect active guidance and explanation on weak areas for such lessons

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby josephine_ng » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:59 am

eddow: you may want to try my method on my students; ask the tutor to give the cloze as homework and asked you to time him instead. I don't see the need to stay there and see them finish test papers or part of the test paper. Is the tutor new or with experience? Make it a point to her that half of the time, she should be the one talking and the other half of the time is discussing (both tutor and tutee talk to make sure tutee understand). How much are you paying the tutee (just curious)?

josephine_ng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Eddow » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:13 am

josephine_ng wrote:eddow: you may want to try my method on my students; ask the tutor to give the cloze as homework and asked you to time him instead. I don't see the need to stay there and see them finish test papers or part of the test paper. Is the tutor new or with experience? Make it a point to her that half of the time, she should be the one talking and the other half of the time is discussing (both tutor and tutee talk to make sure tutee understand). How much are you paying the tutee (just curious)?

I'm paying her $30/hr for 1.5hr lesson. She's an undergraduate. Got her thru one of the largest tuition center. Anyone has a good one to recommend ? I'm on the East side.

Eddow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Eddow » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:20 am

sleepy wrote:1 to 1 lesson seems very wasteful if tutor simply sits & wait for child to complete worksheets. Parents can do that too. No need to employ tutor

I would expect active guidance and explanation on weak areas for such lessons

Yes , I do agree too. But I've no choice as I've to work and to teach 2 DS -P5 and PSLE in all subjects. So have to out source English as it's my weakest area. They've just started tuition this yr for English. I think I should just get another tutor and change her out !

Eddow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby KSP » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:22 am

The tutor should be well prepared before the lesson. There is no reason why they can make mistake.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment