Is it necessary to tuition Math and Science at P3 ?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Is it necessary to tuition Math and Science at P3 ?

Postby jollybeans » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:12 pm

Hie

I'm just wondering; is it necessary to tuition Maths and Science at P3 ?

As I was going thru my son's tuition fees on a monthly basis, and looking forward .... does he needs to go for tuition for MAths in Science next year ? Cause it might means we'll have to set aside higher tuition fees for him next year.

I know it may be a bit early to talk about this, but, I'm just preparing myself and hubby, emotionally and monetarily on the commitment.

Is it really a need, a must, or actually not necessary ..... or just good to have ? :?

Can someone kindly enlighten me on this ?

Thank you very much.

:celebrate:

jollybeans
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby teh_oh » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:00 pm

Hi,
A child that is weak in languages may find it taxing to follow the pace of enrichment centres (I mean enrichment centres, NOT tuition centres). You may want to try out some trials at the respective centres to gauge if your child will be better off with a 1-to-1 arrangement. 1-to-1 will mean higher financial commitment towards tuition fees.

Personally, I feel that you have to gauge for yourself how well your child is coping with Math. We can no longer leave our child to work on these subjects by themselves unless they are really proficient in it; I mean primary school subjects these days are really tough! Having said that, to outsource all subjects (unless they are in the red and that you really have no idea how to coach your child) at P3 is a heavy financial commitment. For science, I am coaching my child personally (with the kind help of parents here at the forum! :)) and so far is still managable. I will be looking at serious considering more enrichment/tuition when my child goes P4. He is currently only having Chinese enrichment/tuition.

I am talking from a single income family point of view. If we have the luxury of good dual income, we will send for all subjects. :!: :lol:

teh_oh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby IJJ » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:59 pm

When come to tuition, there are factors I will consider :

1. Strengths/weaknesses of the child - If the child is strong in the subject, then he should be able to cope w/o tuition. Just spur him on with more library books/reliable websites to enhance his knowledge and entice his interest. If the parents want to strengthen the child further and cannot afford the time, then it should be enrichment courses rather than tuitions. For the weaker children, aim to tackle the weaker areas. Such as some who are poor in oral or compo writing, putting them in a general language course can be quite a waste of time and money.

2. If there is a genuine need for tuition to help the child cope, there is the 'fit' to consider. Chemistry between the tutor and the child, 1-to-1 vs class, the schedule of the session.

3. There has to be a balance. Some children have tuition classes almost daily with great tutors or superb centres yet they are overstretched such that study becomes a chore or a stress too much to cope. Adverse effect.

Come back to what you were asking, how is your son coping with Maths now? If he has been doing alright, then usually he should be alright with Science. You may want to start him on non fiction books on animals/plants/fungi, materials, human/animal body systems now. As long as he has interest, he will continue to read and should be able to cope fine with some regular practises with assessment books from market. You know, with 1 more subject in P3 (Science), his school workload most likely will increase too. With even more tuition/enrichment classes, you need to consider if he will be stressed out.

Talking about Chinese enrichment, mine was with Berries from P2 to 3. I pull her out at end of P3 because I find the coverage of HCL from Berries was insufficent to meet her school standard. At the 2nd term of P3, I had to do quite abit of coaching to cover the gap. The gap continued to widen along the way. :(

IJJ
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby karinchung » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi mums,

As a mother myself, I do have the problem when it comes to kids tuition. I tried sending them to tuition centre but it is useless. My 2 girls, one in Sec 3 & one in Pri 4 is weak in their Science & English & Math. I think what matter most is to let the kids feel interested in the subjects in order for them to learn. Many tutor are giving kids tons of homework and i think school is already stress enough for them.

Just to share:
I found a private tutor who has been coaching my kids for the past year. This tutor is very different from the rest i tried with and my kids love her. In fact they cant wait for tuition. I have to say my kids has a improvement. She is charging at $30 per hour for one subject.

karinchung
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Champion » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:20 pm

teh_oh wrote:Hi,
You may want to try out some trials at the respective centres to gauge if your child will be better off with a 1-to-1 arrangement. 1-to-1 will mean higher financial commitment towards tuition fees. Yes, totally agree to what teh_oh has to say here :salute:

For science, I am coaching my child personally (with the kind help of parents here at the forum! :)) and so far is still managable. Yes, teh_oh, I am too and am so glad to "know" many kind parents like you who are willing to share all your knowledges here :salute:

I will be looking at serious considering more enrichment/tuition when my child goes P4. He is currently only having Chinese enrichment/tuition.

I am talking from a single income family point of view. If we have the luxury of good dual income, we will send for all subjects. :!: :lol:

Frankly speaking, just my own opinion - we can only afford to send kids for all subjects when we have the time and :moneyflies: ....DD1 is in P3 this year and she has only Science and English creative writing tuition. For these 2 subjects, I am weak and unable to coach myself :sweat: . DD1 told me that her classmate that sits besides her has tution for ALL 4 subjects + EL & CL Compo! Whoa! I :salute: both parents & the girl. In fact, the girl got very good result for the CA1 - full mark for Maths and above 95 for the other 3 subjects. Well, all I can say is that really depends on individuals :lol:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Brenda10 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Champion wrote:Frankly speaking, just my own opinion - we can only afford to send kids for all subjects when we have the time and :moneyflies: ....DD1 is in P3 this year and she has only Science and English creative writing tuition. For these 2 subjects, I am weak and unable to coach myself :sweat: . DD1 told me that her classmate that sits besides her has tution for ALL 4 subjects + EL & CL Compo! Whoa! I :salute: both parents & the girl. In fact, the girl got very good result for the CA1 - full mark for Maths and above 95 for the other 3 subjects. Well, all I can say is that really depends on individuals :lol:

May be the girl already does very well but the parent want the event better result.

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:22 pm

jollybeans wrote:I'm currently looking at the different chinese tuition centre for him. Its a must, he's not very strong in subject.

Berries $410 per term
Han Language $330 per term
Tian Hsia ?? per term

Does anyone has kids in any of these schools ?
Kindly share yr experience, does yr kid enjoy and learn over there ?
Thank you so much.
:D

Hi Jollybean,
My 2 kids (P4 & P5) with Berries. I started them 3 years ago.....not by need actually. Neighbour's K2 son started first, came home happy with games....my 2 kids saw and asked for it. In the end, neighbour also sent their elder gal, so end up all 4 kids have been going together at same timeslot since.

Feedback I have is TianXia is good for higher primary as they are more academic. However, I have continued with Berries cos' I think they are more lively and seems to be genuinely trying to instil the interest in the language, which I believe is important :)

As for results....hee hee....while they are still coping fine but sadly, dun see any special interest but I'll wait. So far, they do not detest or reject going Berries, still happily attend their lessons every weekend.

-------------- Other subjects ------------
Maths - I started with Maths Hub during Term3 in P3 & P4.
Both kids are fine in Maths, so I sign them for the NMOS programme, not the school syllabus. Why I sign....again, neighbour 'cheo cheo me'....so all 4 kids go together. But also cos' son did well in some competition and I realised I'm depriving him if I don't stretch him. Plus I'm not on par with current syllabus eg. model and didn't follow along. If I coach, both won't go far, so I need to outsource.

Science - Started this year P4 & P5 as weakness in this subject starting to show. Again, since I can't coach, I have to outsource.

English - Started 3 weeks ago --- only on Creative Writing. I always think that if the child would only read widely and learn to use dictionary etc, Grammar & Vocab should not be a problem. Creative Writing on the other hand need to let the experts do it.

I never had tuition when I was young....and I thought I would not do it for my kids. Yet now ALL 4 subjects outsourced even when they dun actually require extra. But I kiasu, I want them to stay ahead, so I did it :oops: And once I start it, I find it almost impossible to consider taking it away......but there will be cost & time involved.

If the child needs it, and you cannot coach, pls get extra help. Otherwise, it's all dependent on what do you want? What is the best for all? The answer is in your heart :)

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:09 pm

cwc wrote:Science - Started this year P4 & P5 as weakness in this subject starting to show. Again, since I can't coach, I have to outsource.

English - Started 3 weeks ago --- only on Creative Writing. I always think that if the child would only read widely and learn to use dictionary etc, Grammar & Vocab should not be a problem. Creative Writing on the other hand need to let the experts do it.

Hi, your ds attending at which center?
For Science & English creative writing

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:19 pm

sleepy wrote:
cwc wrote:Science - Started this year P4 & P5 as weakness in this subject starting to show. Again, since I can't coach, I have to outsource.

Hi, your ds attending at which center?
For Science & English creative writing

Hi Sleepy,
paisay,....first I must qualify my statement.......anyone who is prettier than I am, I cannot call her ugly :wink: So as long as the teacher/tuition agency is able to do a better job compared to me coaching myself, they are better and the experts :love:

Science : MindStretcher at Jurong East. Started them this year, so far the notes are pretty good and they have a systematic way of filing (but problem is, they never did teach me how...so now, I'm in a little mess. In fact, finding time tomorrow to go down the centre to get some help). Current lesson time is 7.45 - 9.45pm. When I signed up, didn't know that both kids would have CCA on every Thurs till 5pm. After seeing they have to rush home do schoolwork, bathe eat dinner etc, very rushed and tired... I wanted to withdraw, but surprisingly, both insist on continuing....so I take it that they are enjoying the lesson. IF they are not happy or not learning new things, normally they will feedback as they will feel it is a waste of time.
Reason : Heard that MS is mid-range but yet able to produce results, so giving it a try since it's not too far away.

English : The Learning Edge - Creative Writing. Could not get a suitable slot at Frontier CC, so signed up at Blk 722 (blk next to West Grove Pri).
1.5 hours each session only avail weekends for this outlet cos' other days it's a student care center. Attended 3 lessons so far, seems quite interesting. Their worksheets will have vocab little helping words here and there....and the students need to try to fill up the sentence themselves. Compared to reading the COMPO Guide and trying to teach myself, saves me lotsa headache. Ha, I even enquired about ME joining the P6 class (cos' I damn poor lah), but I think teacher will be stressed, so I didn't pursue :)
Reason : A friend with GEP kid attended Frontier for 1+year. The P4 boy commented that his school is now teaching creative writing techniques and apparently, he has already learnt from TLE. The mom ever wanted to pull him out but he enjoys the class and refused too. So still wait for what, sign up quickly....ha ha
For this outlet, there is also a sibling discount of $20.

PS : I am not sure if there's any referral scheme for the 2 centers above. If there is, just tell me. Should you want to enrol, let me know. I will pass back the referral discount back to you :)

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jollybeans » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:03 pm

Thank you everyone for your kind and frank answers.

Maths

My son is pretty strong in his Maths. Th reason for my worry was that his Maths tutor from Tony Buzan ( last year ) did warned me that P3 and P5 Maths has a vast difference.

From what has been said, I'll just leave his Maths alone, while coaching him on the side. I'll probably have to pick up a Maths book on Bar Modelling from Popular.

Science

I'd ordered the Young Scientist for him to read, but he doesnt seems to be very interested. sigh ........... All he cares about are his wars, history of Napoleon etc etc etc and how they fight and SUn Zi strategems of war ..... :stupid: :x

English

So far so good, mummy "coach" him on daily basis on his speech, vocabulary, grammar. As for creative writing, I'm trying to pick up some materials and teach him

Chinese

I'm totally helpless here. Thank you everyone for giving me specific ideas such as tackling his weak spots of Chinese ... I'll have a talk with his Chinese teacher and ask for feedback ...

God bless you all

jollybeans
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment