Tuition fee free in which countries?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Tuition fee free in which countries?

Postby smurf » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:02 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to find out which country has free tuition fee for undergraduate, I only know Germany is one of them. Anyone knows which other countries also adopt this? :?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:24 am

I know Australia Uni is also free for its citizens. Sort of free lah. The govt pays for the kid then when the kid starts work, they have to pay back the govt with their own money. Heavily subsidised. I find this very good and relieves parents of the burden.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:02 am

Thanks cherrygal. Germany is free for other citizens other than german. just that you have to know how to speak German. :D

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Tuition fee free in which countries?

Postby UncleLim » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:46 am

I think Sweden too.

Maybe in most African countries as well !!

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Little M » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:34 pm

Unlike Singapore where they give out free scholarships freely to foreigners, other countries would offer free (discounted or delay payment etc) tuition to their own citizens only.

Little M
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby rosemummy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:45 pm

I believe most Scandinavian countries have some colleges that offer free tuition. For Germany and I believe Belgium, it's free at some public universities, not all. But takes very long to graduate. I know a German girl who just started her first job at 28, and she tells me that this is the norm in Germany.

Most private colleges in the US has merit based scholarship that they award to non-residents. These are usually those with very established alumni networks. Most send out the scholarship offers together with the acceptance.

rosemummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Oppsgal » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:05 pm

Should give singapore citizens children free too. So expensive course fees here.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:56 am

France. Free undergrad studies if you are French. Check other European countries.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby belladonna » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:33 pm

There are no tuition fees at universities in Finland and Norway. The people there have a good command of English and their unis have a good range of programmes conducted in English too.
While financing is definitely an important criteria, I believe that genuine interest and commitment in the course should be the main decision factor.

belladonna
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment