Effectiveness of Small Group Tuition

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Effectiveness of Small Group Tuition

Postby jedamum » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:36 am

Hello everyone,

I would like to find out, how effective is small group tuition. My boy is in primary 3 and based on his CA1 results, I am expecting his performance to drop from a a high Band 1 (for the past 2 yrs) to a border-line Band 2 and Band 1 because of new composition component he has this year. And because we are unable to find a suitable time slot and location for the regular recommended creative writing centres (Mindstretcher, TAS etc), we are now looking at alternative small group tuition or lesser-known centres that can meet our needs (Bukit Batok area).

How effective is the tutor able to juggle the different learning abilities of students in the same tuition group? Anyone tried this type of arrangement? What is the market rate for this type of arrangement if the tutor is an ex-teacher?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Effectiveness of Small Group Tuition

Postby VisualTextEducation » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:08 am

Qn: How effective is the tutor able to juggle the different learning abilities of students in the same tuition group? Anyone tried this type of arrangement?

Ans: In fact, if the tuition group exceeds 5, the tutor/teacher is usually unable to provide personal attention to your child's unique needs. Tuition centres in Singapore usually works on a 'economies of scale' basis. They will not separate the students just because they are of differing abilities. However, you can consider my tuition centre which only have a maximum of three in a class. Pm me yah.

Qn: What is the market rate for this type of arrangement if the tutor is an ex-teacher?

Ans: It varies from centre to centre. If the teacher is an ex teacher of a top school and has excellent delivery records, per lesson of an hour and a half could be charged up to $75. A typical ex school teacher in a tuition group would charge $35/hr otherwise.

Consider only small group tuition that does not exceeds 5 in a group. one to one tuition with the teacher coming to your place usually costs around 80/hr for a professional one. Tutors charging $100 to $200 a month are usually undergraduate who has no teaching experience and wants to make a quick buck out of your pocket. Do you entrust your children to them?

Food for thought.

VisualTextEducation
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sleepy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:46 pm

jedamum wrote:How effective is the tutor able to juggle the different learning abilities of students in the same tuition group? Anyone tried this type of arrangement? What is the market rate for this type of arrangement if the tutor is an ex-teacher?

My dd is attending tuition with teacher student ratio of 1:8
$125 for 4 lessons. Lesson at teacher's house.

I feel that class size is too large though. 6 would be more ideal

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Champion » Sun May 01, 2011 12:15 pm

jedamum wrote: And because we are unable to find a suitable time slot and location for the regular recommended creative writing centres (Mindstretcher, TAS etc), we are now looking at alternative small group tuition or lesser-known centres that can meet our needs (Bukit Batok area).

Hi jedamum,
I am also in the same dilemma as you :? - unable to fit into the time slots that I wanted in those recommended centres and so now in the midst of looking for a neighbourhood centre or to get a private home tutor :roll: .

I am also residing in the western part (Jurong West) and so really to travel out of this area is really very time-consuming and definitely tiring for both me & child :cry: ....I have combed thru a few tuition centres near my areas and have zoomed into 2 for consideration :lol: ...Will make a trip there with DD1 (also P3) after her SA1.

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon May 02, 2011 9:06 pm

VisualTextEducation wrote:Qn: How effective is the tutor able to juggle the different learning abilities of students in the same tuition group? Anyone tried this type of arrangement?

Ans: In fact, if the tuition group exceeds 5, the tutor/teacher is usually unable to provide personal attention to your child's unique needs. Tuition centres in Singapore usually works on a 'economies of scale' basis. They will not separate the students just because they are of differing abilities. However, you can consider my tuition centre which only have a maximum of three in a class. Pm me yah.

Qn: What is the market rate for this type of arrangement if the tutor is an ex-teacher?

Ans: It varies from centre to centre. If the teacher is an ex teacher of a top school and has excellent delivery records, per lesson of an hour and a half could be charged up to $75. A typical ex school teacher in a tuition group would charge $35/hr otherwise.

Consider only small group tuition that does not exceeds 5 in a group. one to one tuition with the teacher coming to your place usually costs around 80/hr for a professional one. Tutors charging $100 to $200 a month are usually undergraduate who has no teaching experience and wants to make a quick buck out of your pocket. Do you entrust your children to them?

Food for thought.

Thanks.
I have to also consider that the smaller the group, the higher the costs. The group tuition that i am now looking at is a 5-student group (max) at the tutor's house, $37/1.5hr.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Mon May 02, 2011 9:09 pm

sleepy wrote:
jedamum wrote:How effective is the tutor able to juggle the different learning abilities of students in the same tuition group? Anyone tried this type of arrangement? What is the market rate for this type of arrangement if the tutor is an ex-teacher?

My dd is attending tuition with teacher student ratio of 1:8
$125 for 4 lessons. Lesson at teacher's house.

I feel that class size is too large though. 6 would be more ideal

Sleepy,
what subject is your girl taking? is the tutor able to focus on the individual kid's weakness. $125/4 lessons is comparable to Mindstretcher and other private tuition/enrichment centres? why do you choose small group instead? is it because of suitability in time and location?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Mon May 02, 2011 9:12 pm

Champion wrote:
jedamum wrote: And because we are unable to find a suitable time slot and location for the regular recommended creative writing centres (Mindstretcher, TAS etc), we are now looking at alternative small group tuition or lesser-known centres that can meet our needs (Bukit Batok area).

Hi jedamum,
I am also in the same dilemma as you :? - unable to fit into the time slots that I wanted in those recommended centres and so now in the midst of looking for a neighbourhood centre or to get a private home tutor :roll: .

I am also residing in the western part (Jurong West) and so really to travel out of this area is really very time-consuming and definitely tiring for both me & child :cry: ....I have combed thru a few tuition centres near my areas and have zoomed into 2 for consideration :lol: ...Will make a trip there with DD1 (also P3) after her SA1.

Champion,
I am concerned about how small group tuition can handle students with varying abilities.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Mon May 02, 2011 10:14 pm

jedamum wrote:what subject is your girl taking? is the tutor able to focus on the individual kid's weakness. $125/4 lessons is comparable to Mindstretcher and other private tuition/enrichment centres? why do you choose small group instead? is it because of suitability in time and location?

For p1 English. Teacher was recommended by dd's previous enrichment teacher. Not possible to focus on individual kid's weakness due to class size. Just have to make do with whatever pace teacher sets for the class.

I have to monitor dd's progress this year before deciding whether to continue with this teacher next year.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon May 02, 2011 10:30 pm

sleepy wrote:
jedamum wrote:what subject is your girl taking? is the tutor able to focus on the individual kid's weakness. $125/4 lessons is comparable to Mindstretcher and other private tuition/enrichment centres? why do you choose small group instead? is it because of suitability in time and location?

For p1 English. Teacher was recommended by dd's previous enrichment teacher. Not possible to focus on individual kid's weakness due to class size. Just have to make do with whatever pace teacher sets for the class.

I have to monitor dd's progress this year before deciding whether to continue with this teacher next year.

One 'plus' point is at least we know where the tutor is staying, so they cannot run away with the fees! haah...

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Tue May 03, 2011 9:27 am

jedamum wrote:I am expecting his performance to drop from a a high Band 1 (for the past 2 yrs) to a border-line Band 2 and Band 1 because of new composition component he has this year.

If your ds is relatively okay wth paper 2, just need to brush up compo, you might want to consider nearby CC or RC? At least location is more convenient.

I just started my p3 girl on creative writing at nearby CC. Attended 3 lessons, need to monitor progress the next few months

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment