Does GEP Student Require Tuition???

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Does GEP Student Require Tuition???

Postby thmejlfm » Wed May 18, 2011 3:44 pm

I was just wondering whether it is true that GEP Student don't need tuition for the school subjects.

My DD had asked her classmates whether they have any tuition. Almost all of them have.

Because my DD don't know how to do her Maths. But, almost all her classmates knew.

I was wondering whether my ds was really Gifted or just by luck.? Now, I have to start looking for tutor.
Last edited by thmejlfm on Thu May 19, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Does GEP Student Require Tuition???

Postby ridcully » Wed May 18, 2011 5:43 pm

Over the years, I have privately tutored several children in English who are in the GEP; some parents have approached me because they do not want their child to be seen to be having tuition at a centre!

I have often wondered what is 'gifted' about these children. I used to think that perhaps they are exceptional in maths or science and that English was their weaker subject, but in fact I have also seen some of their work in those subjects and I am still perplexed.

There are of course degrees of giftedness. I have only once met a child who is one-in-a-thousand as opposed to the common stock of one-in-a-hundred of the GEP. The former I would consider to be gifted; the latter, merely well-advanced compared to age-peers.

My take is that the GEP selects those children who peak early (P3). I have seen several children who missed the P3 selection but blossomed in P4 and P5.

There is of course a market for preparatory courses for the GEP selection examinations. One has to be prepared to be gifted? :idea:

Incidentally, just to provide further ammunition for anyone who wants to throws brickbats at me, I see little correlation in GEP students between general intelligence and emotional maturity.

That's my experience. It may be unrepresentative, but there you go.

ridcully
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed May 18, 2011 9:54 pm

whether GEP students need tuition or not should not be your pressing concern. you should see if your kid is coping well and whether the programme is indeed suitable for her/him. i used to wonder why when i see students from HCI and a bunch of others good sec schools attending a 'talk-like' course (enrichment??) at some shopping centres. Now I understand that at times these enrichment centres provides better study tips so that these kids can free up their time to pursue other interests instead of trying to figure out how to do well to remain in their current state. i once asked my son if he knows if the top boy in his class attends any tuition. his answer was, 'who cares? he knows all about atoms, protons, square roots, chemical compounds, PI etc. so what if he needs tuition?'

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu May 19, 2011 2:05 am

Recalling that the gep tests tested english language, maths & general reasoning, it is possible that they admit students with varying levels in different subjects. (They may even have weaknesses in other subjects like chinese, science, etc).
Besides, their materials are pitched at a higher level.
Hence there is nothing to worry about if you find that tuition is needed.

I tutored a p4 gep kid before, I don't know how the maths is taught in the system but I know gep loves to throw challenging maths qns at the students.

CoffeeCat
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jtoh » Thu May 19, 2011 9:26 am

Being in GEP doesn't mean you're good in all subjects. If your child needs help in Math, then by all means seek help in it, whether through the school teacher or by going for tuition. Some students are kiasu and go for tuition even if they don't need it. What does that mean? Less time for rest, relaxation and other activities. Frankly speaking, if the child can manage, why load them with more tuition?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby thmejlfm » Thu May 19, 2011 10:58 am

Yes, I wanted my DD to relax. But, now, cannot.

Before I sent my DD to the GEP Primary school, the principal kept on mention that no tuition for the kid. The kid will be very busy with the school work.

But, after the SA1, my DD felt very stress because all her friends knew how to solve the Maths Problem,except her. After checking with her classmates, almost all have tuition for every single subject.

My DD had requested for Maths, Chinese and Science's tuition. I think she was quite worried.

Presently, she has Kumon for Maths and Chinese, Ballet and Piano. I was thinking of give up the Kumon. But, my DD don't want. She still wants the Maths. :slapshead:

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Herbie » Thu May 19, 2011 11:17 am

If yr dd is really worried then must take action.
My little girl is in gep and she has tuition for her weaker subject.

But again, tuition does not guarantee result.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Edureach » Thu May 19, 2011 11:48 am

If a kid on gep needs to go for tuition just go for it no need to feel embarass.

Whether is group or one to one to catch up or top the class or even level, go ahead if time and finance permit.

No room for paiseh if their schoolmates from mainstream do recognise them.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby thmejlfm » Thu May 19, 2011 12:24 pm

Is not said Paiseh. Is 'what is GEP for'? What did the teacher teach in class?

I think mainstream is still the best, at least, they teach step by step. I had asked my DD did the teacher teached. She said yes, but, briefly only. But, when she checked with her classmate. They can tell her use the equation, that equation. My DD told me she don't know what equation???

Her classmate learnt it from her tuition.
Then, what did the class teacher do??

Or is it my DD never concentrate in her class?

Edureach wrote:If a kid on gep needs to go for tuition just go for it no need to feel embarass.

Whether is group or one to one to catch up or top the class or even level, go ahead if time and finance permit.

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Thu May 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Why don't you have a word with the teacher? Find out from her how much she actually teaches. Let her know that your dd and possibly others like her have problems following the class.

GEP doesn't teach step by step because quite often the kids are so quick they get bored if the teacher goes through everything slowly.

thmejlfm wrote:Is not said Paiseh. Is 'what is GEP for'? What did the teacher teach in class?

I think mainstream is still the best, at least, they teach step by step. I had asked my DD did the teacher teached. She said yes, but, briefly only. But, when she checked with her classmate. They can tell her use the equation, that equation. My DD told me she don't know what equation???

Her classmate learnt it from her tuition.
Then, what did the class teacher do??

Or is it my DD never concentrate in her class?

Edureach wrote:If a kid on gep needs to go for tuition just go for it no need to feel embarass.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment