All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
Post Reply
xueyan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Jun 16,

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by xueyan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:46 pm

Yes for all tutors that I enquired about their services, all will reply on their credentials.

For this one, I think she felt offended that I do not trust her when i asked. I told her I need to know as I feel that ö"levels may not be able to teach creative writing. She told me to refer to her website. But there is no credentials in her site. In the end she still didn't reply me and I felt suspicious.

Esteema, I totally agree with you that a lot of tutors just give loads of worksheet and ask the child to complete. I have experiences such tutors before and it is a complete waste of time and money.

But it is really not easy to get a good one even after one or two trial.

Greenbeam2019
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 13,

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by Greenbeam2019 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:31 pm

I would advise parents to be careful when engaging tutor especially if your child is in Sec school as there’s a change in syllabus in 2020. Non MOE tutors will not be aware of the changes and the change in the system.
In 2020, subject-based banding will be applied to all subjects and there will not be mid-year examination. What will students be assessed if there’s no MYE?

Do consider these qns.

passioninlearning
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1105
Joined: Mon Jun 06,
Total Likes:2

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by passioninlearning » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Greenbeam2019 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:31 pm
I would advise parents to be careful when engaging tutor especially if your child is in Sec school as there’s a change in syllabus in 2020. Non MOE tutors will not be aware of the changes and the change in the system.
In 2020, subject-based banding will be applied to all subjects and there will not be mid-year examination. What will students be assessed if there’s no MYE?

Do consider these qns.
There's nothing such as "MOE tutors"

Greenbeam2019
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 13,

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by Greenbeam2019 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:25 pm

Sorry, I mean MOE teacher who provides tuition.

Schootopia
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4312
Joined: Sun Jun 19,
Total Likes:9

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by Schootopia » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:56 pm

MOE is like the Titanic ... it needs a long time to shift direction ... and it is not the first time there are changes ... changes in syllabus are minor and easily adaptable.
:please:


Greenbeam2019
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 13,

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by Greenbeam2019 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:15 am

You are right. However, the public will not know the real change. An experienced full-time tutor will not know the full change unless he/she is in MOE. That’s why some parents rather pay a slightly higher fee for MOE teacher to be their child’s tutor.

When choosing private tutor, do have these few qns in mind for the tutor:
1) U know how my child will be assessed in school?
2) Are u only teaching my child to be only examination smart?
Etc

iwork
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri Nov 07,
Total Likes:4

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by iwork » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:49 am

You don't have to be a MOE teacher to know the changes. Well, the public is not interested in the actual changes. Only the parents, students, teachers and tutors are interested. So it is the tutor's attitude, experience, and passion to continue and follow the changes.

There are so many ways to find the actual changes for a full-time experience tutor. You can read visit the SEAB website to find out the changes, read the latest MOE approved textbook to confirm the changes, or get help from your connection (can be MOE teacher, NIE lecturer, textbook writer, etc).

So just ask have to ask yourself the fundamental question, what is the purpose of having tuition? Not to replace the school teacher, but as additional support to the student. We are here to guide, explain, clarify, not to TEACH. It is the teacher's duty.

Anyway, I am a full-time Math Olympaid Trainer. So I have to teach more than the school exam requirement. Otherwise, you won't get your medals!

Mr Quek
Math Olympaid Trainer (MOE-Registered)

passioninlearning
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1105
Joined: Mon Jun 06,
Total Likes:2

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by passioninlearning » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:43 am

Greenbeam2019 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:15 am
You are right. However, the public will not know the real change. An experienced full-time tutor will not know the full change unless he/she is in MOE. That’s why some parents rather pay a slightly higher fee for MOE teacher to be their child’s tutor.

When choosing private tutor, do have these few qns in mind for the tutor:
1) U know how my child will be assessed in school?
2) Are u only teaching my child to be only examination smart?
Etc
There are many ways to look at this.
Just like what you claimed, that a full time tutor does not know how the child will be assessed in school, the reason to engage a current school teacher, is it to "ace the assessment"?

The role of a private tutor is not to teach a child what is taught in school. It's more of supplementing what is being taught. Just like, I do not like to teach the concepts of "using key words", as this should not be the intended way of learning.

You may want to go and take a look at your child's teachers. Most of them looked so sapped of energy, so you may want to think about the intentions of "teachers" when they do come out and tutor, having taught for 5 days at 12 hours each, in school. Not criticising them, though some may really be the case.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Feb 25,
Total Likes:1

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by meinteel » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:42 pm

Greenbeam2019 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:15 am
You are right. However, the public will not know the real change. An experienced full-time tutor will not know the full change unless he/she is in MOE. That’s why some parents rather pay a slightly higher fee for MOE teacher to be their child’s tutor.

When choosing private tutor, do have these few qns in mind for the tutor:
1) U know how my child will be assessed in school?
2) Are u only teaching my child to be only examination smart?
Etc
An experienced full-time tutor will know WHERE to get the information regarding changes to the syllabus. Changes to syllabus happen very often. The information is freely available to the public.

A CURRENT MOE teacher will only be informed about specific changes to his/her subject and level. They wouldn't be aware of other subject and/or levels - unless they went to find out - what they teach in their own schools.

You asked people to think of two questions;
1) U know how my child will be assessed in school?
- Assessment methods are released by SEAB and the school. Whatever is released by SEAB can be found. Whatever is released by the school must be shared by the parent to the tutor. Even for current MOE teachers, they need the parent to share information released by the school as each school is different.

A full-time tutor with numerous students will be better able to make informed guessed about assessment methods as we have students from various schools - some of the students might be the same. A current MOE teacher will only know for his/her school but not the others.

2) Are u only teaching my child to be only examination smart?
This depends on the individual's pedagogy rather than if they are full-time tutors or current MOE teachers.

passioninlearning
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1105
Joined: Mon Jun 06,
Total Likes:2

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by passioninlearning » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:51 pm

meinteel wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:42 pm
Greenbeam2019 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:15 am
You are right. However, the public will not know the real change. An experienced full-time tutor will not know the full change unless he/she is in MOE. That’s why some parents rather pay a slightly higher fee for MOE teacher to be their child’s tutor.

When choosing private tutor, do have these few qns in mind for the tutor:
1) U know how my child will be assessed in school?
2) Are u only teaching my child to be only examination smart?
Etc
An experienced full-time tutor will know WHERE to get the information regarding changes to the syllabus. Changes to syllabus happen very often. The information is freely available to the public.

A CURRENT MOE teacher will only be informed about specific changes to his/her subject and level. They wouldn't be aware of other subject and/or levels - unless they went to find out - what they teach in their own schools.

You asked people to think of two questions;
1) U know how my child will be assessed in school?
- Assessment methods are released by SEAB and the school. Whatever is released by SEAB can be found. Whatever is released by the school must be shared by the parent to the tutor. Even for current MOE teachers, they need the parent to share information released by the school as each school is different.

A full-time tutor with numerous students will be better able to make informed guessed about assessment methods as we have students from various schools - some of the students might be the same. A current MOE teacher will only know for his/her school but not the others.

2) Are u only teaching my child to be only examination smart?
This depends on the individual's pedagogy rather than if they are full-time tutors or current MOE teachers.
Well said!

Post Reply