All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
Post Reply
bluegal6
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Oct 14,

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by bluegal6 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:24 am

My requirement is very simple, as long as i see improvement and my child understand what the tutor is teaching. She told me she don't know what the tutor is trying to teach her...

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 6702
Joined: Fri Jul 18,
Total Likes:71

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by hquek » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:41 am

bluegal6 wrote:My requirement is very simple, as long as i see improvement and my child understand what the tutor is teaching. She told me she don't know what the tutor is trying to teach her...
Then please stop asap. If my kids feedback they have no clue what teacher is teaching. Hope you find a good tutor!

passioninlearning
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Jun 06,
Total Likes:2

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by passioninlearning » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:35 am

bluegal6 wrote:My requirement is very simple, as long as i see improvement and my child understand what the tutor is teaching. She told me she don't know what the tutor is trying to teach her...
bluegal6,
whether or not there is improvement, it does not depend solely on tutors. the students themselves play a major role.

Do take a look at my website if you need any advice.


Regards,
Eric
passioninlearning.wordpress.com

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 40659
Joined: Tue Oct 20,
Total Likes:136

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by janet88 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:51 am

bluegal6 wrote:How do we know if the tutor is good or usually for tuition, tutor will just sit there, let the child do assessment book and ask the tutor if don't know. This is like babysitting for me... But what I am looking for is someone who teaches the child method to look for a keyword when doing English or maths problem sum. Last but not least how do i tell i tutor that i am not continuing the tuition with her.
the word 'good' is very subjective. my kids will feedback to me how tutors teach. but as a parent, I have to know my kids' characters well.
after every lesson, I will ask the tutor what was taught so that I can reinforce...then I ask daughter what was taught. if it doesn't tally, then someone is lying.

if i do not want to continue with the tutor, the reason is because school work is very hectic and there is really no time to have tuition and spend more time doing tuition homework.

JJ_chua
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 04,

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by JJ_chua » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:20 am

janet88 wrote:
bluegal6 wrote:How do we know if the tutor is good or usually for tuition, tutor will just sit there, let the child do assessment book and ask the tutor if don't know. This is like babysitting for me... But what I am looking for is someone who teaches the child method to look for a keyword when doing English or maths problem sum. Last but not least how do i tell i tutor that i am not continuing the tuition with her.
the word 'good' is very subjective. my kids will feedback to me how tutors teach. but as a parent, I have to know my kids' characters well.
after every lesson, I will ask the tutor what was taught so that I can reinforce...then I ask daughter what was taught. if it doesn't tally, then someone is lying.

if i do not want to continue with the tutor, the reason is because school work is very hectic and there is really no time to have tuition and spend more time doing tuition homework.
I agree with Janet88 that 'Good' is very subjective.My DS1 is a very average student since pri sch days but he is lucky to have tutors who can"connect with him" and they understand my DS needs patience and encouragement to carry on.They may not be Super Tutors but they assign assessment papers to him based on his ability to let him have confidence in himself. He enjoyed going to his tuition lessons since P5 till he finished his O Levels last year.
I am blessed that his tutors are very supportive during his O levels and he received a lot of encouragement from them..


justMommy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Nov 07,
Total Likes:1

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by justMommy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:42 am

To be fair to the private tutors out there, sitting down looking at the student attempt the questions may very well be what the parents want and what the students need. This is especially true when students are about to take their exams.

However, the tutor must be able to see the misconception of the student when marking the questions and also know how to prescribe questions and provide explanations on how to debunk the misconception.

In my opinion, there must be a connection between the tutor and the teacher. This is perhaps the most important. The student must be willingly to learn from the tutor and the teacher must be passionate in teaching the student.

Cheers.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 40659
Joined: Tue Oct 20,
Total Likes:136

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by janet88 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:46 am

i am curious how tutors teach a new chapter. for school, i don't really bother because it's beyond my control and most of the time, it's just a train zooming through.

daughter's science tutor don't usually start new topics because i prefer the tutor to be the backup and explain what daughter doesn't understand. but for the last 2 topics, the school teacher seemed to hold back and it was close to June (daughter is sitting for psle). so i asked the tutor to teach the remaining topics. when i asked daughter how she taught, i was really shocked! i believe i could do a better job since it was just to sit beside her and make her read line by line. so i sacked the tutor.
my daughter is happy, my pocket is happy and i am happier being in control of her science.

bluegal6
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Oct 14,

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by bluegal6 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:37 pm

Ya i guess the connect between teacher and student is important... I usually check back what was taught during tuition and i will take the assessment that they did and teach her again on the ones she does wrong... To my surprise she always said mummy you teach i understand but i couldn't understand what my tutor is trying to explain to me. Maybe will just monitor two or three more months before i decide.

karenmok
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Nov 13,

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by karenmok » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:47 pm

bluegal6 wrote:Ya i guess the connect between teacher and student is important... I usually check back what was taught during tuition and i will take the assessment that they did and teach her again on the ones she does wrong... To my surprise she always said mummy you teach i understand but i couldn't understand what my tutor is trying to explain to me. Maybe will just monitor two or three more months before i decide.
is it reasonable for a parent to adopt a "hire and forget" approach to tutor? We are busy people and the reason most of us hire tutor is to spare ourselves the trouble to teach the kids. If I need to supervise the lessons of the kids in addition to hiring a tutor, I think somthing is wrong. What do you say?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 40659
Joined: Tue Oct 20,
Total Likes:136

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by janet88 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:42 pm

karenmok wrote: If I need to supervise the lessons of the kids in addition to hiring a tutor, I think somthing is wrong. What do you say?
But we have to know what the tutor is teaching...whether the tutor is effective. Besides, the tuition is just once a week...so if we don't revise with the child what the tutor has done, the kid would have forgotten what has been taught the previous lesson.

Post Reply