All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by meinteel » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:23 pm

As a tutor, I am usually more than happy to talk to parents after class especially if they let me know beforehand as sometimes I have to prepare for subsequent classes. Tutors have very limited number of hours with the child, we do our best to help the child improve but sometimes the child needs very close supervision.

I generally give homework for the students to complete. It takes about 10-15 mins to complete the work given - maximum of 30mins. This is a very fair amount considering that they will have 1 week to complete. It's fine if the student doesn't complete it occasionally (Due to schoolwork or what not) or if they didn't touch it at all (I usually hope to see that they would at least attempt 1 question). However, there are students that NEVER ever attempt any of the homework. I would feedback to the parents and if they fail to take any actions twice, I would drop the student.

The reasoning is very simple. If you were to hire me, I have a teaching methodology which I expect both the parents and students to respect, trust and follow. If the student refuses to do, it shows that there is a lack of trust in my methodology and capabilities. If so, it would be unreasonable for me to continue accepting money from the parent to teach.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:30 am

meinteel wrote:The reasoning is very simple. If you were to hire me, I have a teaching methodology which I expect both the parents and students to respect, trust and follow. If the student refuses to do, it shows that there is a lack of trust in my methodology and capabilities. If so, it would be unreasonable for me to continue accepting money from the parent to teach.
:goodpost:
I am a parent. I agree with this paragraph.
When I hire a tutor, I expect him/her to have the methology to teach my kids.

mylulaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by mylulaoshi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:43 pm

Yes I agree with the above. We qualified professionals put in a lot of time, commitment and efforts into research and planning to deliver best and efficient techniques. We work hard to build reputation and consistency. We have systems and strategies that don't compromise to edge your child above the rest. So students who do not adhere, we report to parents, after 5 Reports, we review to seek other alternatives. We make sure parents' educational investment is made worthwhile.

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by sean wife » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:47 pm

If say a tutor charges $40/hr for one-to-one lesson, if we arrange for 2 children of same level to attend same timing, how would the tutor usually charge?

sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Post by sky minecrafter » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:02 pm

sean wife wrote:If say a tutor charges $40/hr for one-to-one lesson, if we arrange for 2 children of same level to attend same timing, how would the tutor usually charge?
Hi, think I would expect a slight discount, especially in your case. :wink: sgd30+sgd30/hr? Group tutoring benefits the tutor more, jmo.

Lynn1967
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Lynn1967 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:55 pm

sean wife wrote:If say a tutor charges $40/hr for one-to-one lesson, if we arrange for 2 children of same level to attend same timing, how would the tutor usually charge?
Mine charge $40 per hr. If 2 same level tgt will be $50 per hour. If diff level will be $55 per hour.

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by sean wife » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:54 pm

Sky, lynn

Thanks for sharing. So far seems like those I ask charge 50% for the 2nd child. Seems like more worthwhile to have 1.5hrs for each child rather than 2hrs for both child- cost works out to be same...but to save time and also kids do not want to be separated, I have to just go with 2hrs for 2 children.

booksnbooks
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by booksnbooks » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:11 pm

Well, ever since I joined this forum, I have read so many times regarding this Chen Laoshi, literally everywhere in various subject line. Initially I thought she is really good but now I become suspicious due to repeated posting selling the same tutor. Experienced parents here can correct me if I am wrong. How do you all differentiate between real recommendation or self advertising? Thanks.

seamonkee
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by seamonkee » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:50 am

I'm looking for a private English home tutor to aid my child in preparation for PSLE next year. Location is Marine Parade. Any parents who have contacts to share? It will be much appreciated! Thanks.

passioninlearning
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by passioninlearning » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:13 pm

seamonkee wrote:I'm looking for a private English home tutor to aid my child in preparation for PSLE next year. Location is Marine Parade. Any parents who have contacts to share? It will be much appreciated! Thanks.
You may want to take a look at my website, and contact me if you need any clarification.