All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
mrpeh
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: All About Market Rates of Private Tutors

Post by mrpeh » Wed May 30, 2018 9:46 am

Agree with iwork that it is more difficult to get a 1 to 1 tutor in the second half of the year.
If your child is not performing well, my advice is to make full use of the June holiday to catch up on work.
I am currently offering O Level tuition for E Math, A Math, Chemistry and Physics, so you can contact me if any of your child needs help :)

passioninlearning
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Post by passioninlearning » Wed May 30, 2018 11:05 am

Ivy80 wrote:It's quite funny to see people created another account to agree to his own post.
I think the use of this forum is for parents and service providers to provide appropriate advice, and not to engage one's service counterparts to discredit others.

In this case, I only have one account, and not as what Ivy80 claimed, to have another account and concurring with Passioninlearning's statements.

ongstarling
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by ongstarling » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:14 pm

Parents who had experience in engaging private tutor.
what is the current rate range for a tutor teaching lower secondary English for one to one? Assuming one is an NIE trainer tutor and a non NiE ?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

passioninlearning
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Post by passioninlearning » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:24 pm

ongstarling wrote:Parents who had experience in engaging private tutor.
what is the current rate range for a tutor teaching lower secondary English for one to one? Assuming one is an NIE trainer tutor and a non NiE ?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
To begin with, there is nothing such as NIE trained tutor. What NIE does is to train teachers, for class based teaching.

Do note that just because a teacher is non NIE-trained does not imply that the former is more competent. For your info, teachers in ITE, polytechnics and universities do not need to go through NIE to teach.

It's best to understand your own needs, and look for an educator instead, ignoring the connotations of "NIE", if you get my point.

ongstarling
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by ongstarling » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:07 pm

Thanks! Appreciate if parents can share the market rate for lower secondary tutor who is teacher one to one.
Just want to know the range as it is a totally new area for me since child is in Sec one.

xueyan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by xueyan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:14 am

Hi

May I know whether it is rude to ask the tutor her credentials? I asked one potential tutor and she asked me why i need to know. :?

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:71

Post by hquek » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:17 am

xueyan wrote:Hi

May I know whether it is rude to ask the tutor her credentials? I asked one potential tutor and she asked me why i need to know. :?
short answer: NOPE.

Long answer. you are employing her to provide a service. when we work, we also have to furnish our credentials to our employers what. She may not have papers but she must be able to tell me in that case how she think she can help my child.

Anyone who refuses to furnish I would view very suspicious.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:78

Post by Estéema » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:21 am

@ xueyan If you’re engaging a home tutor, you hv every right to ask for credentials. This is so you know & hv confidence in engaging a suitable tutor to meet your minimum rqmts, everything else will depend on her engagement abilities with your child & Chemistry. Besides credentials, it’ll be good to engage tutors who come with recommendations.

For us, a tutor hv to know the current sch syllabus at the back of her hands. In addition, the tutor shld hv necessary skills to identify my child’s weak areas & work with my child to improve, whilst keeping up with the syllabus. Tutors’ skills wld incl how to make learning interesting & help the child register learning. I won’t put my child thro 1-2 hrs of boring tuition just doing worksheets or assessments with the tutor. That’s not tuition. It’s having a nanny sit next to my child, which I do not need.

My niece encountered one claimed highly qualified ex-MOE teacher & had curricula books published in her name. She quitted teaching to set up a tuition Centre bz & retain some 1-1 tutees at her home. She charges abv mkt rate at $90 per hour but by the 2nd mth, neice’s feedback was she often leave her alone to help her daughter with her work or discipline her son for excessive screen time. The last straw was when she insisted to leave exams practice scripts for neice to work on during tuition hours “so that she can gauge her level on the spot”. Really? It’s barely 2 mths & since her approach is in question, neice pulled out & found ano deserving tutor. Why wld anyone want to pay $90 weekly for 2 hours sitting at her home doing worksheets? SIL prefers that was done at her home & brought to tutor for marking, feedback & coaching.

Mkt rate will depend on factors such as Pri, lower sec or upper sec. Experienced tutors starts fr $40-50 per hour, with some charging more for Pri level.

I’m not sure abt lower sec 1-1 as I noticed rates are not consistent with some charging $50 per hour & still very skillful in producing desired results. It depends on how sought after a subj, such as Language Arts teaching abstract literary techniques, with some asking $90 p/hr!

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:324

Post by ChiefKiasu » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:08 am

As a professional, I would be very open to people asking me about my credentials. Why bother with spending any effort in acquiring them if I'm not going to show them off? In fact, I would not think much of anyone who does not ask for credentials!

As a customer, asking the tutor for credentials is your right. Just like any market transaction, we need to evaluate whether the tutor is worth the asking price! So if the tutor asks me why I need to know, I would politely end the conversation and have nothing to do with her from then onwards.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:78

Post by Estéema » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:14 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:

As a professional, I would be very open to people asking me about my credentials. Why bother with spending any effort in acquiring them if I'm not going to show them off? In fact, I would not think much of anyone who does not ask for credentials!

As a customer, asking the tutor for credentials is your right. Just like any market transaction, we need to evaluate whether the tutor is worth the asking price! So if the tutor asks me why I need to know, I would politely end the conversation and have nothing to do with her from then onwards.
Haha, Chief, like your attitude dealing with shady ones! :wink: