Getting a tutor for your special need child

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Does this post encourage you to get your child the help he/she needs?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:39 pm

Extremely helpful
No votes
Helpful
No votes
ok
No votes
Not helpful
No votes
Extremely not helpful
No votes

Total votes : 0

Getting a tutor for your special need child

Postby teachingparent » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:39 pm

It is really not easy to find a tutor when your child is special need. Lots of patient is necessary. I guess it is hard to accept that your child is special need in the first place.

It is really important to keep a postive attitude in the first place to believe that all children can learn but some learn slower.

Having one to one help does help if you do not know how to do so. Don't give up hope but keep believing that your child can learn.

Get a tutor, go to private special need school for extra enrichment and do whatever you can to help your child cope better. Better to have a bit of improvement than not having any.

If you really need a tutor for special needs at primary level, you can message me if you stay in Jurong as I have contacts. :goodpost:

Nevertheless, it is the best if you can guide your child personally if you can as it saves more money. If you really cannot and no patience, you should seek for help then. Leaving improvement to chances is going to be your disappointment as your child grows older and older.

Can even end up in foundation class when the gap gets wider as the years go on. Close the gap as early as Primary 1 or even better before is important.

I hope this gives some thoughts to parents with special needs.

teachingparent
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Getting a tutor for your special need child

Postby ridcully » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:27 pm

teachingparent wrote:It is really important to keep a postive attitude in the first place to believe that all children can learn but some learn slower.
Can even end up in foundation class when the gap gets wider as the years go on. Close the gap as early as Primary 1 or even better before is important.
There is nothing wrong with a child, special needs or otherwise, being in foundation class if that is the appropriate level for the child's academic and motivational levels.

I like the gist of what you have written. However, I would stress to parents to obtain proper diagnosis of special needs by qualified professionals. I know of tutors who offer help to special needs children after having only attended rather limited courses in the field.

ridcully
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment