Horror Stories - "Bad" Students/Parents

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Horror Stories - "Bad" Students/Parents

Postby dydx » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Original Title: "Bad" students / parents - share your experience here....

Hi

In any industry - there are bad customers.. and because tuition is a service industry - the tutors and the tuition centres tend to take it in their stride...

In this thread - let out your frustrations here.... you might feel better ... and maybe other more experience sifu can share how they deal with the situation...

This is for learning...
and of course - if you want to black list the students / parents - I am sure you have every right to do it.... so go ahead...

:imcool:

dydx
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: "Bad" students / parents - share your experience here...

Postby whitecorp » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:05 pm

Fortunately for me, most of the students and parents I encountered so far were/are reasonable and pretty understanding. Only 1 private O level candidate left a bad taste in my mouth many years ago because of her arrogance and rude demands. However, I still believe if you play nice, they will play nice too.

whitecorp
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby worriesmommy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:55 pm

whitecorp wrote:Fortunately for me, most of the students and parents I encountered so far were/are reasonable and pretty understanding. Only 1 private O level candidate left a bad taste in my mouth many years ago because of her arrogance and rude demands. However, I still believe if you play nice, they will play nice too.

hihihi whitecorp!!! well says!!!
yes. I like what u says....
"you play nice & pple will return you in nice too."
And myself too. I will return double or triple. Which mean.......hahahaha!

I encountered 1 case and now am really forbid. seemed same in hired maid. OMG! irresponsble + bad attutide many many... :yikes:

worriesmommy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sunnydays2 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:29 am

To be fair, I think there are both unreasonable tutors and parents/students around. Quite lucky for me, I haven't really encountered very bad tutors.

sunnydays2
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby meinteel » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:59 am

sunnydays2 wrote:To be fair, I think there are both unreasonable tutors and parents/students around. Quite lucky for me, I haven't really encountered very bad tutors.

I've never encountered very bad parents, but I've encountered very bad students. They never completed their assignments because their "mother gave them permission to play computer games" not knowing they have unfinished work, refuses to do the questions in class, always tries to negotiate with me for money, gifts or early dismissal in exchange for doing questions, comes to tuition eating ice-cream. They often forget to bring (and finally lose) their books/assignments/stationery, insisting on sleeping and even to the extend of hitting me when i refuse to return him the ball he was throwing around during lesson.

These two brothers' lesson are always a nightmare. I dont know how to tell the parents I dont wish to tutor them anymore, but it seems like the parent decided to call it off first before the expected increase in tuition fees. I still don't know if it is a blessing and I seriously wonder about the future of these children.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby whitecorp » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:56 am

@Meinteel, sorry to hear about your unpleasant encounters. Were they from the primary or secondary school level? JC students I teach are usually very sensible and motivated, in addition since I treat them as "young adults", they are usually well behaved and pretty matured.
Occasionally though, they resort to using vulgarities (yes even the girls) when pissed or frustrated but I guess this is how the new generation articulates their emotions.

whitecorp
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby meinteel » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:12 pm

Those two brothers were P4 and P5.

Using of vulgarities is quite common, but there is a difference between general use and directing it at someone.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby elderflowertea » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:36 pm

Today I have a parent who just asked me to give discount =.= I have never increased my tuition fees yet the parent still can ask me for discount!

elderflowertea
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby meinteel » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:17 am

Quite common I think, nothing to fret over haha. Im sure if we're really worth the price we are asking, people will continue to come to us. =)

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby she0407 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:16 am

elderflowertea wrote:Today I have a parent who just asked me to give discount =.= I have never increased my tuition fees yet the parent still can ask me for discount!

Hi, I had sent you a message a few days back. Please check you pm. Thanks.

she0407
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment