[Punggol] Tutors/Tuition Centres/Enrichment

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

anyone registering their kid in Punggol Plaza ?

Postby aqua65 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:14 pm

I was thinking of registering my dd in PP . Does anyone has any experience with this center ?

aqua65
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:50 pm

There are many educational centres in PP, which are you refering to?

My boy is in Beijing Language School and Tumble Tots, both at PP. Am thinking of enroling him in Mindstretchers once he turns 3.5yo.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Morris Allen

Postby aqua65 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:46 am

I was refering to the Morris Allen center .

aqua65
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mrswongtuition » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:38 pm

I saw alot of parents enquiring/registering. Lessons only start in Jan 2010 according to their notice at their door.

I think the perks of being the new students in the new centre is that class sizes usually start small so your kid will get more attention at the beginning.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lilfeets » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi

My 2 cents worth. Wanted to share my unpleasant experience at Morris Allen - the newly opened place at punggol plaza. I went in to enquire about their phonics classes as my 3 yrs old kids are able to sound single vowels and consonants sounds since they were 2 and 1/2 yrs old. However, till today, they are unable to blend , hence reading is even more difficult. They are unable to do sight words and I am concerned though they speak releatively average. Went to morris allen to find out more about what they do for phonics classes to help in this area as I am interested to start my kids to recognise sight wrods and blend or start reading for that matter next year. What surprise me was that the staff there are incapable of explains what exactly they do in the class or what is actually being covered for the classes. Kept telling me tat they do english enrichment as well as allowing the child to learn in interaction. He even said that they will "force" the child to read int eh class. Can you imagine how horrified I was?

First, they are unable to articulate their class. This makes me wonder if they even know what is being taught. It is an established organisation hence i do expect the staff to know what type of things generally is being taught etc but no, all 2 ladies and one gentleman there are unable to vocalise.

Second, they don't know how what sight words are or what does blending mean. They actually asked me to ecplain what sight words and blending is. Am wondering if i should be spending money in an organisation who don't know basic of phonics/reading.

Overall, it guess It has killed my interest in that school. Won't touch it with a 10 foot pole if i could. Looks like i will need to try I can read soon.

Sigh... it's hard being a parent these days...

lilfeets
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

you are too emotional

Postby aqua65 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:45 pm

from the language I can deduct you are too emotional. Morris Allen or any other school teaching phonics is not a short term fix. You will only see the results one or two years later in how the child articulate her feelings and write . The front desk staff is not somebody teaching your child . You must look at the actual teachers.

aqua65
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby lilfeets » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:17 pm

HI

I may seemed as emotional here because of hte frustration I have already experience but even mind stretcher , where I have since withdrawn my kids from, are able to articulate what their classes teach (no expecting them to give me full explaination but at least the gist of wat the class covers interms of structure etc). MA at punggol was not able to explains anythign excep that they offer english enrichment classes and they teach english and reading. I am interested in some "how it is done" in general information. I believe that is the basic question parents have when they go into any enrichment class? I don't think anyone goes to an enrichment school and without knowing that the class is about, register and send hte kid there.

This is not rocket science question. Even the front staff at baijing Lang school, mind stretcher and Mavis were able to expains generally what is being covered or how they plan to go about tteaching the subjects and still show me samples of what they plan to cover in their classes for that level.

I have also called other phonics /english enrichment classes and they are about to at least expain berifly what they teahc in the class. MOrris Allen is not veen able to state that. When i asked what types of English class they have, they respond by saying it's enligh enrichment. Surely, this is not a trick question right?

Don't think my expectation is too high. i was merely enquiring if they provide that kind of classes I was looing for. It should be easy to tell me if they teach that or they don't. It's pretty straight forward.

again, am sharing my unfortunate experience. Perhaps other mummies willing to put in good money for their kids there can shed some light after they start next year. then again, there are always people who will feel that enrichment of any kind is better than no enrichment at all but whom am i to argue since I am looking for it as well. hahahahaha... how kiasu is that?

lilfeets
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

[Punggol] Tutors/Tuition Centres/Enrichment

Postby rocket99 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:40 am

Original Title: Dowell tuition centre at Punggol RC

:?: Hi all can anybody comment on Dowell tuition centre at Punggol RC (near Buangkok MRT and The Quartz). I thought of enrolling my 2 kids there for tuition. :thankyou:

rocket99
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Chinese tuition at punggol Aspella RC

Postby shinystar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Hi

Anyone has kid taking chinese tuition at punggol Aspella RC? Any comments? thks

shinystar
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Punggol-English enrichment for age 4 to lower primary

Postby Charmaine_chong » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:44 pm

Dear Parents,

Any good recommendation of english enrichment classes for pre-schoolers to lower primary at Punggol?

Appreciate a lot your kind feedback.

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment