[Punggol] Tutors/Tuition Centres/Enrichment

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
xueyan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: [Punggol] Tutors/Tuition Centres/Enrichment

Post by xueyan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:04 am

the little ones wrote:
xueyan wrote:
the little ones wrote: if you live in punggol and are looking for math group tuition, can contact Mr Zhou at Nicklebee Tutor. he has 2 branches at Bishan and Punggol. my daughter was taught by Mr Zhou and she enjoyed the classes, also her psle math got A*!
Mr Zhou is very busy and his classes are mostly full but can try to sms him to check if still got classes available. his website is http://www.nicklebeetutors.com.
all the best! :smile:
Hi

From the website, I think Mr Zhou only teach from P5 onwards.

Is there any good tutor in Punggol for lower primary level? Preferable group tution. Mindstretcher and Just Education is consider quite big group, around 12-15 kids. Just feel that some slow learner kids might not benefit in such big class.
Mr Zhou teach P4, P5 and P6 students. i think he dont advertise his P4 math classes because he is usually requested by parents to reserve places for the younger siblings of his current students. but he does take in some new P4 students, so you can try asking him.
his sec 1 and 2 classes are usually reserved for his former P6 students like my daughter.

the classes are small class size of about 4 students so average learners will benefit from individualized attention. you can check his math tuition schedule at http://www.nicklebeetutors.com :smile:
Your dd is taught by Mr Zhou. Can you share how do you find him?

Thanks!

the little ones
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by the little ones » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:04 am

xueyan wrote:
the little ones wrote:
xueyan wrote: Hi

From the website, I think Mr Zhou only teach from P5 onwards.

Is there any good tutor in Punggol for lower primary level? Preferable group tution. Mindstretcher and Just Education is consider quite big group, around 12-15 kids. Just feel that some slow learner kids might not benefit in such big class.
Mr Zhou teach P4, P5 and P6 students. i think he dont advertise his P4 math classes because he is usually requested by parents to reserve places for the younger siblings of his current students. but he does take in some new P4 students, so you can try asking him.
his sec 1 and 2 classes are usually reserved for his former P6 students like my daughter.

the classes are small class size of about 4 students so average learners will benefit from individualized attention. you can check his math tuition schedule at http://www.nicklebeetutors.com :smile:
Your dd is taught by Mr Zhou. Can you share how do you find him?

Thanks!
me and hubby think that Mr Zhou is very professional and he is very familiar with the psle math syllabus and math problem solving skills. we also like the way he does not believe in spoon feeding students and after teaching a concept, he expects them to work out the math problem sums themselves and he provide guidance only when needed.
my daughter found him strict at first but once she got used to his teaching style and standards expected of her, she feedback that Mr Zhou is actually quite patient and funny and really know how to make concepts easier for her to understand.
my daughter did well for psle math last year and now is in Mr Zhou's sec 1 class.

you can see other feedback and testimonials on his website at http://www.nicklebeetutors.com/p/testimonials.html :smile: :smile:

xueyan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by xueyan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:56 am

[/quote]

me and hubby think that Mr Zhou is very professional and he is very familiar with the psle math syllabus and math problem solving skills. we also like the way he does not believe in spoon feeding students and after teaching a concept, he expects them to work out the math problem sums themselves and he provide guidance only when needed.
my daughter found him strict at first but once she got used to his teaching style and standards expected of her, she feedback that Mr Zhou is actually quite patient and funny and really know how to make concepts easier for her to understand.
my daughter did well for psle math last year and now is in Mr Zhou's sec 1 class.

you can see other feedback and testimonials on his website at http://www.nicklebeetutors.com/p/testimonials.html :smile: :smile:[/quote]

Hi littleones
I just read in nicklebee website that the charges is $110 for 1.5 hour lesson! Wow quite ex.. considering it is group tuition.

the little ones
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by the little ones » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:05 am

xueyan wrote: Hi littleones
I just read in nicklebee website that the charges is $110 for 1.5 hour lesson! Wow quite ex.. considering it is group tuition.
Hello!
LOL! I think you read wrongly. mr zhou's nicklebee math group tuition charges are $110 for each 2 hour class! you can see his rates in this link http://www.nicklebeetutors.com/p/nickle ... ition.html

we still paying $100 for each 2 hour class for my daughter because she is old student from 2014.
i think his rates are quite reasonable and value for money because mr zhou's math classes are very effective. as my hubby pointed out to me before, we are willing to spend more on effective tuition rather than waste money on cheap group tuition where the kids go home learning nothing.
anyway i think ALL his classes are still fully packed. recommended my friends to join but they are on waiting list because mr zhou got no more slots!

jessieyl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by jessieyl » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi mummies,
I would like recommendation for a good, responsible , moe - registered English / Maths home tutor for my P4 son in Punggol. Small class tuition can also be considered. Pls pm me. Thx.

katzmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Edu kate tution center in punggol

Post by katzmum » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:42 pm

the little ones wrote: if you live in punggol and are looking for math group tuition, can contact Mr Zhou at Nicklebee Tutor. he has 2 branches at Bishan and Punggol. my daughter was taught by Mr Zhou and she enjoyed the classes, also her psle math got A*!
Mr Zhou is very busy and his classes are mostly full but can try to sms him to check if still got classes available. his website is http://www.nicklebeetutors.com.
Hi, I want to switch my kid to NickleBee math tuition @ Ponggol based on fren's recommendation. Hv contacted Mr Zhou at his tuition centre but all his classes r full and i m on the waiting list.... Typically hw long b4 my kid can join Mr Zhou's math class? He told me prob can accept my kid at end of this year but no guarantees becoz his waiting list is very long. I m at my wits end as the current tuition he's attending at ponggol isnt effective...
Pls help .TIA...

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:20

Post by Joy of Learning 111 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:20 pm

wxlsh2001 wrote:
jessieyl wrote:Hi mummies,
I would like recommendation for a good, responsible , moe - registered English / Maths home tutor for my P4 son in Punggol. Small class tuition can also be considered. Pls pm me. Thx.
Hi,
I am not too sure if there is such an appointed MOE-registered tutor.
Nonetheless, if you still need assistance, please feel free to contact me.
MOE does not register private tutors. However, if a private tutor also works at a tuition/enrichment centre, then the tuition/enrichment centre - depending upon its size - is required to submit the tutor's details to MOE and obtain registration and approval for the tutor to teach the subject and at what level. This latter registration is not comparable to the licensing of MOE teachers, who are civil servants and have undergone officially supervised training; the onus is on the tuition/enrichment centre to verify the tutor's competence and qualifications.

Therefore, if 'official registration' is considered important to parents, then such parents should ask if a private tutor is a current- or ex-MOE teacher in the first instance. If not, then ask if the private tutor presently works at a tuition/enrichment centre and is registered via that route. If not, caveat emptor.

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:20

Post by Joy of Learning 111 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:39 pm

wxlsh2001 wrote:I beg to differ on the use of 'caveat emptor' in this scenario. the PGDE is not a license to teach. Rather, it is a course which teachers undergo. So, qualification is the more appropriate word. It is just like graduates who registers as (relief )untrained teachers with MOE as they do not hold PGDE. That does not mean that they are 'unlicensed'.
Nor did I state that the PGDE is a licence to teach. It is a necessary but not sufficient condition for someone to obtain MOE teacher status.

'Caveat emptor' seems appropriate. I should have thought that a relief untrained teacher with MOE would be considered unlicensed.

But I presume your more general point is that you are emphasising that qualifications (and/or experience) are more important than official registration? This I would readily agree with. Some MOE teachers (or ex-) do not strike me as making good private tutors. However, it is difficult for parents seeking a private tutor to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff, so the notion of registration, especially licensing through being a trained MOE teacher, is a useful proxy for competence.

the little ones
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Edu kate tution center in punggol

Post by the little ones » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:47 pm

katzmum wrote:
Hi, I want to switch my kid to NickleBee math tuition @ Ponggol based on fren's recommendation. Hv contacted Mr Zhou at his tuition centre but all his classes r full and i m on the waiting list.... Typically hw long b4 my kid can join Mr Zhou's math class? He told me prob can accept my kid at end of this year but no guarantees becoz his waiting list is very long. I m at my wits end as the current tuition he's attending at ponggol isnt effective...
Pls help .TIA...
Mr Zhou's math class at Nicklebee tutor are almost always full. good tutors like him are always in demand. some more punggol so few good math tuition.
check his math class schedule at http://www.nicklebeetutors.com/p/nickle ... ition.html for the latest updates! hope this helps. :smile:

katzmum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by katzmum » Tue May 03, 2016 11:50 am

Noted. Tks thelittleones for yr help . Hv replied yr pm, pls check yr inbox...