Coaching Kids with their homework- what is the right way?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Coaching Kids with their homework- what is the right way?

Postby mum02 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 am

Hi kiasuparents,
I find myself having to chase the kids (P2&P3 boys in 2012) to do their homework. If I do not make them do it, they will totally not care about it. And when they do it, they take a long time to do a piece of work. If I walk out of the room, nothing gets done (for my P2 boy) I would like to know if parents out there are having the same experience. How do you get out of the rut?

I am wondering, perhaps they have too much homework -- Learning Lab English homework is quite a lot, chinese enrichment tingxie on top of the school homework, plus attending Eng and Chinese enrichment classes plus 1 sports.

Is it too much for a kid to handle? Or am I not handling it well? I end up getting stressed up, shouting at them for wasting time, etc.

Should I have the "bochap" attitude and let them handle the consequence of not doing the work? (Usually the learning lab teacher will "feedback" to the parent that we have to monitor that they do their homework. Learning lab work is harder than sch hw so it's quite hard for them to finish without help from me)

What is the best approach towards homework ?

mum02
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Coaching Kids with their homework- what is the right way

Postby cnimed » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:47 pm

oh my goodness I think that IS a lot of homework. :siam:

I have heard of other kids having extra homework from their english and chinese tutors, but all I can say is - I know my kid can't take it. With the school hours and all the homework plus plus, he would have no time to do anything else!

This is our rough schedule - start doing school homework at 3pm; this includes preparing for any show and tell, tingxie etc etc. If he has no homework that day, I will give him selected work targeting his area of weakness, in a form and volume that work for him. The work has to be "just enough" to learn something new, or clarify a weakness, without making him feel defeated or overwhelmed. It should be short and sweet and on target - e.g. one selected page on grammar, 10 min of multiplication questions done orally, a new page of chinese vocabulary etc.

On some days he is done by 4pm, on others 5pm. My expectation is that he should finish everything by 5pm latest. After that it's his own time.
So the faster he finishes his homework, the sooner he can move on to his own things. The incentive is in-built. If there is a lot of homework from school that particular day, I will break it up for him, with an incentive built in after the completion of a segment, like a cookie break or go and cycle for 15min.

If there is nothing to look forward to, I guess there is no point to even try and finish the work...?? It will be hard for you to drop the extra tuition classes, but maybe you can try breaking the work up and give them mini-breaks and little rewards (mini marshmallows, 15min scooter time, or half an hour playground time before continuing to dinner time etc).
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Coaching Kids with their homework- what is the right way

Postby mum02 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:54 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I do give them lots of playtime. I am just wondering is it because they really play like crazy during weekends and playtime that they just cannot get serious to do their homework. All they are concerned about is play.
Or is it because they are boys?
I heard girls are really disciplined.

mum02
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment