What's wrong with enrichment programs in the market?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Postby leedd19 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:21 pm

Enrichment programmes are supposed to "enrich" our children with increased brainpower and motivation but why most of them are not effective?

Mindchamps, Mindedge and Adam Khoo are supposed to be good but why so expensive and yet still have negative feedback from parents? I don't understand why. I paid so much but yet no results!

Can anyone recommend one good holiday programme for my son? I don't know where else to look for. His motivational level is very "short lived" and he's still very lazy and keep saying he's no hoper in the coming PSLE!
Last edited by leedd19 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

leedd19
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: What's wrong with enrichment programs in the market?

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:42 pm

what's wrong ?

why are you so dependent on outside program to motivate your kid ?

why can't you motivate your own kid ?

probably you kid sees that you have no confidence, or no time, or not putting in effort to help him personally, surely he/she feels not up to it.....the more you push on the outside courses, the more inferior he feels. after a while, all courses sound similar in many aspects .... the child would feel sianz liao

have faith in your own child first

have faith in your own motivational effort first
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Intermezzo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:46 am

Agree with verykiasu2010..
you are a sahp.. you should be the one who knows your kids best ~ =)

Intermezzo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby friendship » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:22 am

If the child is successful? parents take the credit leh.
If the child is not successful, start blaming the school, school teachers, tuition/enrichment centres, tuition teachers, student care teachers, endless....
friendship
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby phtthp » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:30 pm

actually i dun know what benefit Mindchamp truly offer

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lynn2010 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:15 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:what's wrong ?

probably you kid sees that you have no confidence, or no time, or not putting in effort to help him personally, surely he/she feels not up to it.....the more you push on the outside courses, the more inferior he feels. after a while, all courses sound similar in many aspects .... the child would feel sianz liao

I agree with verykisau2010. You are the best person to motivate your kid. They will go through some ups and downs with their lives and schools, throughout their growing up process. We cannot rely on external source all the time.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Han Seo » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:52 am

Lynn2010 wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:what's wrong ?

Intrinsic motivation is best cultivated when the child is young and malleable and the best people to mould the child are the caregivers. It starts in early childhood and parenting skills cannot be outsourced.

I agree with verykisau2010. You are the best person to motivate your kid. They will go through some ups and downs with their lives and schools, throughout their growing up process. We cannot rely on external source all the time.

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby alfretztay » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:51 pm

leedd19 wrote:Enrichment programmes are supposed to "enrich" our children with increased brainpower and motivation but why most of them are not effective?

Mindchamps, Mindedge and Adam Khoo are supposed to be good but why so expensive and yet still have negative feedback from parents? I don't understand why. I paid so much but yet no results!

Can anyone recommend one good holiday programme for my son? I don't know where else to look for. His motivational level is very "short lived" and he's still very lazy and keep saying he's no hoper in the coming PSLE!

I believe that as students have different learning abilities, different kinds of educators required and methods of instruction tweaked in order to be effective.. The task is to find a good fit for them
. Questions nowadays stress more on thinking skills rather than just rote learning. Maths Olympiad questions can be spotted in examinations papers. Those who do not spend time to learn them are at a slight advantage but an "A" is still achievable if the child is willing to give his best at it.
I have successful helped a student who failed his school preliminary papers for Maths but scored an "A" for PSLE. Hence, if your child is willing to work at it, there is surely still hope for at least a pass!

alfretztay
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby friendship » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:40 am

two good friends were attending Mindchamps talk with the son and the other one with the daughter. Both kids are sec 1. Once seated, the son listened attentively, the other lady's daughter was busy concentrating on her cellphone.

Is this Mindchamps fault? Teacher's fault? it is pbvious the attitude of the kids which the parents have to play a part in giving good example for the kids.
friendship
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment