All About Finding & Evaluating Tuition Centres/Agencies

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:67

Re: All About Finding & Evaluating Tuition Centres/Agencies

Post by zbear » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:11 am

My expectations of a tutor in a tuition centre are not as high as compared to a 1-1 tuition.

My kids did fine with group tuition when they were in Primary School.

MustardSeeds
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by MustardSeeds » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:33 pm

Can anyone recommend a good tuition agency?

momkiasu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by momkiasu » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:34 am

Place of tuition is definitely very important especially if your child is very young, he/she might not be able to travel around Singapore due to unfamiliarity. Best to hire a private tutor who will come to your house to tutor your child and you can even supervise the tuition session to ensure that your child is focused and is able to learn and that the tutor is suitable for your child. Age of tutor will also matter as older tutors might not be able to reach out to teenage students as younger tutors may. These are some important factors to look out for.

Sam-wong
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Sam-wong » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:15 pm

momkiasu wrote:Place of tuition is definitely very important especially if your child is very young, he/she might not be able to travel around Singapore due to unfamiliarity. Best to hire a private tutor who will come to your house to tutor your child and you can even supervise the tuition session to ensure that your child is focused and is able to learn and that the tutor is suitable for your child. Age of tutor will also matter as older tutors might not be able to reach out to teenage students as younger tutors may. These are some important factors to look out for.
Hi!

Yes I totally agree with you. the place of tuition is very important to ensure that the lessons is conducive. some requirements are very important like the age.. Points such as qualifications, age, gender are some of the points i told the agency about. luckily for me it worked out and the agency found me a tutor within 2days. :smile:

ShockedParent
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Tuition and is it necessary?

Post by ShockedParent » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:52 pm

My kid just hit primary 3 and I'm thinking if I should put him through tuition and if it really helps.
It is very expensive, almost up to $1000 a month! And there are so many choices around. So i am undecided if it is worth the money.

If a fellow parent can help me decide, please do!!

1. What should I be concerned about when choosing a tuition centre?

2. Is there anywhere that tells me which tuition centres are good so I can choose one of them?

3. What should I look out for when sending my kid to a tuition teacher?

4. Does anyone enroll in a tuition centre then leave really quickly? and why?

Thanks!

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:18

Re: Tuition and is it necessary?

Post by laughingcat » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:32 pm

But then......not a single tuition center is suitable for all kids. Some of the teaching material are more towards HA kids and while some ctr is more on average kids. Also very much depend on the maturity of the kids as well - able to voice out when in doubt.

Perhaps you can look through your kid's exam papers and see which area your kid is weak in. If there is only a specific component in the subject that the child is weak in, then just focus more on that area by tapping the assessment books and past year question. If the kids are weak in all components of that particular subject, then a tuition may be needed if you have no time to teach.

Allgrownup
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Allgrownup » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:14 pm

Hi parents,
Any responsible tuition centre to recommend? In Bukit batok please.
There are too many around and I hope to get recommendations for centre that are academically focused but care about child's wellbeing and genuinely want the kids to improve.

Primary n lower sec.

Thanks

peggy2010
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Tuition and is it necessary?

Post by peggy2010 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:03 am

laughingcat wrote:But then......not a single tuition center is suitable for all kids. Some of the teaching material are more towards HA kids and while some ctr is more on average kids. Also very much depend on the maturity of the kids as well - able to voice out when in doubt.

Perhaps you can look through your kid's exam papers and see which area your kid is weak in. If there is only a specific component in the subject that the child is weak in, then just focus more on that area by tapping the assessment books and past year question. If the kids are weak in all components of that particular subject, then a tuition may be needed if you have no time to teach.
Agree! When I send my DD to a super small group tuition, to ensure teaching quality, their teacher is also trying to put student around same level into one class.

pixiemae
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by pixiemae » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:15 am

Hi parents,

Would like to read some of your opinions about the different types of tuition environments.

My children have been to private tuition centres (in malls), home-based small groups and home-based one-on-one. Yet to try ones situated in RCs. Any big differences (especially on the curriculum) or it's solely based on the teacher's teaching capability and passion? - luck (as the fees are also lower than the rest mentioned).

CarenL
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by CarenL » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:16 am

We love the smaller class sizes of The Learning Lab and the many approachable, friendly, passionate and dedicated teachers in the school which makes the whole experience a great one for our boys.