[Toa Payoh] Tutors/Tuition Centres/Enrichment

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Phonics/Reading Enrichment for Pre-school near TOA PAYOH?

Postby lavlow » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:33 pm

Anyone can advise good phonics/reading enrichment school around Toa Payoh for 4yo?

From what i know British Council & Learning Point only accepts K1 onwards.

ICR and LW in united square & Lcentral are beyond my budget ($450-$500/term) and stretches too long.

Looking for something that stretch about 1yr. Anyone can advise or really must pay high fees :(? Thanks.

lavlow
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Engkidz » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi lavlow

I understand about the fee. My dd did benefit from reading classes though. Though I taught the phonics first. Frankly at 4 yo, dun worry about the reading jus yet, concentrate on the phonics cuz this is step 1.
To save money I teach my dd (a few years ago already as she now Pri school!) the sounds in words. I am a working mummy and I dun have time to teach all the time but you can teach phonics in everyday life.

Of course Popular has cards you can buy but look at things in ur home instead.
If ur child is drawing, ask the sounds in the colours (start first sounds only) - blue ("buh") red ("rrr") and so on. Do this with anything in ur house. When ur child give you first sound 90% of the time, move to end sounds. Last sound in blue ("oo") last sound in red ("duh").

Then I think u give ur child a solid start in phonics. Also can teach her sounds of letters. Not names A B C but the sounds they make "a like apple", "buh like bird".
Then all you need to do to teach to read is blend the sounds together. Course u can send to a tuition centre then...I think a child should start to blend sounds half way through K1.

Just 5 min a day is all it take to teach my dd. I dunno if there is PhonicsRead nr Toa Payoh but they are cheaper versian then ICR LCentral and LW.

FYI my dd in Lcentral now and really enjoy the class. Hope it helps!
:D

Engkidz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lavlow » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:51 am

hi engkidz

Thanks for your advice.

Can share with me about LCentral - what they teach, pace, course duration?

lavlow
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Engkidz » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:26 am

Hi lavlow

My dd older now so they are doing the "Success" level at Lcentral. My dd the shy type so I was concern about her adapting to the teacher. However this first time she actualy say she enjoy the class!

As i mention I teach my dd the first bit of phonics with the result that she didn't stay long in a phonics class. She attend BC for a while and a few others but didnt continue. Lucky she pick up reading from a variety of centres and enjoy it too.
However I still feel she need support for her primary exams as she is weak in oral and comprehension. Also she makes many silly mistakes!
I want her to practise more english and i feel comfortable with the program at LCentral. I have tried many centres.

Anyway they offer phonic and reading program too. The Phonic program last for as long as child needs and reading program is 33 weeks (I see from website). Lcentral i guess is a little on the ex side compare to some other 1 off centre but compare to ICR and BC and Lorna Whiston also the price is quite reasonable. $399 for weekday lesson. Check for promotion, I use my Popular card adn they waive registration fee.

Engkidz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lavlow » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:32 am

Hi Engkidz

Is it okie if you share with me which are the centres you tried and why you discontinued? Kindly pm me if okie....

cos once she learns how to read, i'm considering better/more exp school like the rest i mentioned above to help her on creative writing, compre/compo etc. Heard nowadays Pri 1 is pretty challenging, with compo and maths aldy into problem sums!! *faintz!!!* I really have no idea how my girls/me are gg to or if can cope :P

lavlow
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Charmaine_chong » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:13 pm

deleted

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

[Toa Payoh] Tutors/Tuition Centres/Enrichment

Postby Mummytwo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:31 pm

Dear Parents

Has anyone heard of Power Enrichment at Toa Payoh? From the flyers, it seems like most students does really improve after going for 1 term or so. Anyone has any views to share on this? Thanks.

Mummytwo
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Looking coaching center

Postby zNz » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi please anyone could suggest good coaching center run buy experince school tutor.... Would prefer Novena or Toa Payoh area. My son is in Sec 2 he needs help for maths and science.
Thanks

zNz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Looking coaching center

Postby kitty2 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:19 am

zNz wrote:Hi please anyone could suggest good coaching center run buy experince school tutor.... Would prefer Novena or Toa Payoh area. My son is in Sec 2 he needs help for maths and science.
Thanks

I've PM you

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Looking coaching center

Postby mamabear23 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:17 pm

i think that its also better to look for an established coaching system that is has its public website, place...etc.

i think its a bit odd to send a PM msg when any qualified coach should be public about its svcs , esp when dealing with children etc... so yup! just take note!

mamabear23
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment