Horror Stories - Tutor Recommendation Agencies

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Horror Stories - Tutor Recommendation Agencies

Postby Kind_Soul » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:06 am

Hi Parents out there, I would like to share my experience, to know if anyone out there has the same experience, how you handled it... If no, take it as a warning..

I went through a tutor reommmendation agency (Txxtutor) in Nov 2011 and they recommended a tutor to me. As the tutor kept using handphone during lessons, I decided to stop her despite one warning to the tutor. So I managed to find another tutor through another agency and she is excellent.. tutoring my children since Jan 2012.

Yesterday, Thur, 27 Oct 2012, I received an SMS from the 1st agency claiming I have not paid the agency fee... and demanded the evidence to be shown by this week. Else, to make payment or they will make small claim through court. How can I produce the evidence within such a short period, especially when the bank transfer could be done in Nov 2011 or even Dec 2011? This is talking about last year statement or a receipt which I caould have discarded when shifted house. They also claimed that if I do not produce, will go through other means that might casue me embarassment...

I am seeking legal advise from my lawyer. As this could happen anytime. The fact that they only stress parents when PSLE just started yesterday. Btw, the fee is only $100... not that I can't pay, is why should I pay? Why they only close accounts one yr later? What if I pay now, and they come back again 1-2 yrs later claiming the same? I am really stressed by them with one child having PSLE and one streaming Sec 2. What will they do especially when they are aware of my children's school and worst, my address.

Any advise?

Kind_Soul
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Tutor Recommendation Agencies - Outrageous

Postby tankee » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:15 am

Wouldn't getting a statement from your bank easier and faster than seeking lawyer?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby AceTutors123 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:28 am

Sorry to hear about your situation kind soul. 10mths between 1st lesson and confirmation of payment is way too long, and not professional of the agency. Worse if they accuse the customer straight-away as being her fault. Some of these agents work without their company's finance department or do not follow stated protocols so it can get a bit messy.

Agreed with tankee that it's much more efficient to obtain your bank statement rather than consult your lawyer. There's nothing to fear at all since you have paid.

AceTutors123
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Kind_Soul » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:44 pm

Thanks for the comments from the same hearts...
However, I would rather pay the legal than the $100 for their bad accounting... I am sorry to use this way, but this is not ethical to operate at all and also to avoid them from repeating the same method... even slammed my phone and accuse me of vulgarity... I am a professional and vulgarity is never in my bank of words... Now, I am more worried about my children's being harassed...

Kind_Soul
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby verykiasumummy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:52 pm

Kind_Soul wrote:Thanks for the comments from the same hearts...
However, I would rather pay the legal than the $100 for their bad accounting... I am sorry to use this way, but this is not ethical to operate at all and also to avoid them from repeating the same method... even slammed my phone and accuse me of vulgarity... I am a professional and vulgarity is never in my bank of words... Now, I am more worried about my children's being harassed...

they use vulgarity?? how can they??

have u paid?? if u hv, ask them to chk their accounts, not u to provide receipt again, if u hv not, den u should just pay... dun need to look for lawyer... waste time...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hsm » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:12 am

Kind_Soul wrote:Hi Parents out there, I would like to share my experience, to know if anyone out there has the same experience, how you handled it... If no, take it as a warning..

I went through a tutor reommmendation agency (Txxtutor) in Nov 2011 and they recommended a tutor to me. As the tutor kept using handphone during lessons, I decided to stop her despite one warning to the tutor. So I managed to find another tutor through another agency and she is excellent.. tutoring my children since Jan 2012.

Yesterday, Thur, 27 Oct 2012, I received an SMS from the 1st agency claiming I have not paid the agency fee... and demanded the evidence to be shown by this week. Else, to make payment or they will make small claim through court. How can I produce the evidence within such a short period, especially when the bank transfer could be done in Nov 2011 or even Dec 2011? This is talking about last year statement or a receipt which I caould have discarded when shifted house. They also claimed that if I do not produce, will go through other means that might casue me embarassment...

I am seeking legal advise from my lawyer. As this could happen anytime. The fact that they only stress parents when PSLE just started yesterday. Btw, the fee is only $100... not that I can't pay, is why should I pay? Why they only close accounts one yr later? What if I pay now, and they come back again 1-2 yrs later claiming the same? I am really stressed by them with one child having PSLE and one streaming Sec 2. What will they do especially when they are aware of my children's school and worst, my address.

Any advise?

Gosh!! Looked like we are on the same boat!! Recently, i sent in some requests to look for new tutor. I believe we are referring to the SAME "Txxtutor"!! and when the lady called if i was looking for new tutor, then told me I did not make my payment for the agency fee when i engaged their tutor in July 2011 which is more than ONE year ago!

I asked her why she did not send any reminder since then but one year later? SHe replied i changed my address and was not unable to contact me. This is nonsense cos i still hold the same HP number! there is no reason she was unable to contact me. Nevertheless, i told her i need to verify with my bank which i need to get statements from the bank.

She sent me a SMS to demand for payment last week to make the transfer else she will take action. This is ridiculous and unreasonable despite telling her that I need time to check with the bank and wait for the statements to verify! In fact, for the cheque nook acct, there is also a fee to retrieve statements!! (unless she is willing to absorb the fees!!)

I was so mad that she was so unreasonable and unprofessional..and yes, my daughter is also taking her PSLE too!!

I don't think there is anything wrong with us. We just to confirm if it is a genuine oversight and not going to make any duplicate payment. This transaction was made more than ONE year ago and don't expect everyone to remember!! Meanwhile, i did ask her if there's any evidence of not receiving the transfer. If she can prove, I dont even need to check with the bank!! but you know what she replied, "do you know how many clients I have?". Terrible isn't it?? Similarly, if she has too many payments to verify, it is not my problem!!

If there's any legal consultant here, will appreciate any comments.

Many thanks!

hsm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tracyneozx » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:30 pm

hey im looking for tutors for my boy, you mind if you let me know which agencies are bad?

tracyneozx
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Tutor Recommendation Agencies - Parents Mark this agency

Postby Kind_Soul » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi tracyneozx, just watch out for TxxTutor for now... bad accoutning and they will haunt you after one year... demanding you to retrieve statement prove which will cost you $$. In the end, it's probabaly easier to just pay it...

Hi HSM, same situation. I called the bank and retrieving the statement is $20/statement. Frankly, I do not even know which month I made the payment. In the end, I have to retrieve 3-4 months which will cost me $60-80. Hence, easier to settle with the $100?

Btw, my lawyer said, the agency can just pay the court $10 to issue small claim. Then the court will summon me to court, which in the end, I still need to produce the statement and turn out in court. Too much hassle. This is a scam and loophole. Parents Watch out. Keep all receipts and statement pls!

Tell you what, I will pay them the $100... then file to CASE! for their cause in stress and bad service, which does not warrant the service I paid for... I won't let it pass... Anyway, PSLE is over, I have the time to settle this legally... Objective is not to take parents for a ride at the bad time.

Kind_Soul
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby weatherbee » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:02 am

OMG! That's terrible! Do let us know how you settle it in the end. Personally, I prefer to find the tutors directly or through recommendations. I find that sometimes the tuition agencies anyhow match.

weatherbee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby RachelLee » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:02 pm

Kind_Soul wrote:Hi Parents out there, I would like to share my experience, to know if anyone out there has the same experience, how you handled it... If no, take it as a warning..

Any advise?

If you want to get a tutor for your children, don't go through an agent. I know of some agents who even cheat the tutor of their commission. If I were you, I would not seek legal advice for such matters cuz it's not worth it over $100. If possible, I would try to talk to the agent and settle the matter amicably. Hope I helped :)

RachelLee
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment