School Teachers Working as Tutors

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

MOE teachers cannot teach in tuition centres

Postby Gwenchee » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:05 pm

Is it true that MOE has set a directive that their teachers cannot teach in tution centres anymore?

My son's tutor at the tuition centre told them that he cannot continue because MOE has set certain strict guidelines. So next year onwards does it mean that the tution centre will not have anymore current school teachers?

Gwenchee
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mrswongtuition » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:41 pm

All along there's a 6 hour guideline for MOE teachers taking on part time jobs outside school.

Must apply and declare, subjected to approval.

I think they are starting to be more strict about it, so there might be alot of teachers who can't carry on in tuition centres soon.

However, private lessons paid in cash are not traceable, so individual lessons or small groups lessons might still be possible.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Daddy D » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:03 am

mrswongtuition wrote:All along there's a 6 hour guideline for MOE teachers taking on part time jobs outside school.

Must apply and declare, subjected to approval.

I think they are starting to be more strict about it, so there might be alot of teachers who can't carry on in tuition centres soon.

However, private lessons paid in cash are not traceable, so individual lessons or small groups lessons might still be possible.

Haha.... saw your fine prints...
Army also teach us... Can do anything you want... As long as you don't get caught! :)

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jesschan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:46 am

Many school teachers are finding private tuition more attractive. There was an article in the newspapers recently citing the high annual salary of successful private tutors. No wonder it is so difficult to find good teachers in MOE schools these days...

jesschan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby atutor2001 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:27 am

jesschan wrote:Many school teachers are finding private tuition more attractive. There was an article in the newspapers recently citing the high annual salary of successful private tutors. No wonder it is so difficult to find good teachers in MOE schools these days...

Ya MOE is really in a fix. Good students don't want to be teachers. Good old teachers retired. Good young teachers become tutors. Only very few good teachers are left in the system. sigh!

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jasmineong » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:41 am

atutor2001 wrote:
jesschan wrote:Many school teachers are finding private tuition more attractive. There was an article in the newspapers recently citing the high annual salary of successful private tutors. No wonder it is so difficult to find good teachers in MOE schools these days...

Ya MOE is really in a fix. Good students don't want to be teachers. Good old teachers retired. Good young teachers become tutors. Only very few good teachers are left in the system. sigh!

Ya..agree!! My child's form teacher last year quit to become a tutor..then another teacher that is very good quit to go into banking....the parents all say the good ones go..only left those who 'cannot make it' in the outside world stay because it is a job they cannot lose even if they do not perform..that is why all the tutors get rich..because many of the teachers left in school are not really doing a good job..

jasmineong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Daddy D » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:08 pm

jasmineong wrote:Ya..agree!! My child's form teacher last year quit to become a tutor..then another teacher that is very good quit to go into banking....the parents all say the good ones go..only left those who 'cannot make it' in the outside world stay because it is a job they cannot lose even if they do not perform..that is why all the tutors get rich..because many of the teachers left in school are not really doing a good job..

Ermm... dun say they CMI than stay lah... I feel that many who left are cos' they don't have the passion for teaching... more driven by $$$... and usually fresh grads who dun really know what they want in life...
End of the day... our Gen Y again... :)

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby atutor2001 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:12 pm

Daddy D wrote:Ermm... dun say they CMI than stay lah... I feel that many who left are cos' they don't have the passion for teaching... more driven by $$$... and usually fresh grads who dun really know what they want in life...
End of the day... our Gen Y again... :)

I personally know some young good teachers (girls especially) becoming tutors not because of money but because they can't take the school system anymore. Some even break bond and paid a hefty sum. They become tutor not for the money but because of their passion for teaching. I think it is difficult to be good tutors if their objectives are just for money.
Last edited by atutor2001 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mrs Ang » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Private tuition are earning more than school teachers. In addition, the flexible hours are making more school teachers with kids to quit.

Mrs Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:29 pm

may be those good tuition centres with good tuition teachers should register with MOE as a private primary & secondary schools.....a private IP school, while parents who are willing and able will continue to pay through the nose for the tuitions....but hey, don't need to wake up at 5 am for the school bus and yet got 'first class" tuitions to ace in PSLE and O, A levels
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment