Setting up of tuition centre

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Setting up of tuition centre

Postby jamiechia73 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi , i am keen to set up my own tuition centre.. any parents here keen to partnership ? I am also looking at the option of taking up franchise help as well, from perhaps , Pro Teach / Kent Ridge Tutors / Little Professors / Mind Stretchers. Anyone with any comments ? Thanks in advance! :)

jamiechia73
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Setting up of tuition centre

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:57 pm

jamiechia73 wrote:Hi , i am keen to set up my own tuition centre.. any parents here keen to partnership ? I am also looking at the option of taking up franchise help as well, from perhaps , Pro Teach / Kent Ridge Tutors / Little Professors / Mind Stretchers. Anyone with any comments ? Thanks in advance! :)

The scene is quite crowded... you will need a way to differentiate yourself to highlight the value proposition you bring to your customers. Buying a franchise fee from the likes of ProTeach is one way of jump-starting the process, but you will still need at least $150K to seed fund the venture. I do not know what franchise fees you will need to pay.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby sleepy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:09 pm

Many years ago, I considered Kumon franchise. If I recall correctly, need to pay head office a rather high % for each student. Remaining fees will go towards other overheads such as monthly rental, teachers' salary, etc etc.

Unless overwhelming students intake, otherwise I wonder how to survive? Especially initial few months surely operating at a loss since not enough students to cover even the initial set up cost such as renovation, furniture to set up of classroom. Seem not easy to make a decent profit.

Then again, with so many Kumon franchise popping up, maybe I did my maths wrongly :?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Setting up of tuition centre

Postby Ivanlew » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:17 pm

jamiechia73 wrote:Hi , i am keen to set up my own tuition centre.. any parents here keen to partnership ? I am also looking at the option of taking up franchise help as well, from perhaps , Pro Teach / Kent Ridge Tutors / Little Professors / Mind Stretchers. Anyone with any comments ? Thanks in advance! :)

A friend of mind contacted pro-teach before and you need to pay $50 for the franchise briefing. Not sure it is the royalty fee for the whole setup fees will cost $120 000 but it is a very Popular child care center. Little Professors not so popular, I don't think Kent Ridge is a franchise. For Day care you will have to take into consideration of daily operation stuffs is something like childcare.

You can also try Kip McGrath, I went to to the franchise talk. It cost about $60 000 to setup include one time franchise fees but they preferred teacher and you have to source for your own staffs. If you are teacher you will earn more but if you are a teacher than don't have to franchise can open on your own right?

Ivanlew
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby buds » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:01 pm

Franchise fee for Kumon quite high.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ivanlew » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:37 am

I agree setting out and running business is not easy. YOu will have to work very hard and might of to go without paid for few months. The only different is that you are working for yourself.
You can actually try to give tutition at home on part time basis try out first and when you have enough student than you expand to titution centre.
Franchise is good as they give you material and guide you on the running of the centre and their reputation which will give you a good start.
There is alot of hardword. Even you start an internet business will also need lot of hardwork and time.

Ivanlew
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

licensing matters

Postby jamiechia73 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:01 pm

i'm worried over the licensing issues. i'm quite sure as a teacher, i'll be able to come up with quality teaching resources. It's the MOE licensing which I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Does anyone know whether Pro-Teach will apply for MOE licensing for its franchisees? How about KipMcGrath? $120,000 franchise fee seems too steep for me.. :( Any cheaper alternatives around?

jamiechia73
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Mind Stretcher?

Postby jamiechia73 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:02 pm

How about Mind Stretcher? There's another thread on Mind Stretcher... Do they have exclusive territory? My email's jamiechia73@hotmail.com Anyone with information on education franchise , pls email me or PM me pls? we can take this offline if it's too confidential .. :) Thanks!!

jamiechia73
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: licensing matters

Postby Ivanlew » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:07 am

jamiechia73 wrote:i'm worried over the licensing issues. i'm quite sure as a teacher, i'll be able to come up with quality teaching resources. It's the MOE licensing which I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Does anyone know whether Pro-Teach will apply for MOE licensing for its franchisees? How about KipMcGrath? $120,000 franchise fee seems too steep for me.. :( Any cheaper alternatives around?

If you join a franchise that have obtained MOE license, you should not worry about that. KipMcGrath I attended the briefing before the setup cost including the one time loyalty fee is about $60 000 to $70 000.
I think the rental fees will take out most of your profit and remember rental fees can go up. Also take note that next time when all school turn full day, Day care center and tutition center will be affected. I had a friend who opened a child care center after 3 years he give out but was lucky that he managed to cover his investment and franchise fees. Reason is because of the rental fees went up which eat into his profit. If you are a teacher why not you try to teach at home and when you have enough student than open a center. If you are teacher it is very easy to get student.

Ivanlew
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: licensing matters

Postby ZacK » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:34 am

Ivanlew wrote: I had a friend who opened a child care center after 3 years he give out but was lucky that he managed to cover his investment and franchise fees.

Is it convenient to post here which franchise your friend went into? What was the market that your friend's child care centre catered to? Or an indication of what were the fees that your friend's centre charged per child?

Just curious to find out :oops:

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment