Horror Stories - Tutors

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Be Careful Of Dishonest Tutor Here

Postby Balim05 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:31 pm

I have unpleasant experience with the tutor to teach my son. Tuition agency are mostly money minded. Not only that, those personal tutor advertise by themselves through internet also cannot be trusted.

I have experience with a lady tutor. I found her through her internet advertisement. After a few lessons she started using different excuses to postpone the lessons, especially school holidays. So it became my son need attend the two or three lessons in one week. In my opinion, children need a consistant practice in order to get good result. Not to rush him and ask him remember the knowledge in one week. The tutor also has an excuse to say that no need give him tuition homework cos my son need to handle school homework. I feel this lady tutor is irresponsible. I decided terminate her. I given her one and a half month notice. But she dragged the lessons again. I called her once a week when she can come. She kept on saying that she is not "fully recovered" from sick. One and a half month gone, she still cannot finish the last lesson. Do parents believe that this lady sick for such a long time? You get well three weeks even got chicken pox.

Furthermore, I found her using same phone number but different Christian name and teach different subject to advertise. Why she use another name? Can you figure it out?

Word of mouth is the best. Anyplace can share the good or bad experience or tutor? But not offended anybody. So that all the parents are aware and avoid those black sheep.

Balim05
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Be Careful Of Dishonest Tutor Here

Postby tankee » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:06 pm

Because of a bad experience with 1 tutor and you are condemning the entire industry? :?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby meinteel » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:48 am

There are black sheep in every industry and on every side of the industry. I agree that some tutors are out to make a quick buck and are dishonest in their dealings.

Many parents have shared with me how their previous tutors frequently cancelled tuition, shortchange them by starting late and ending early.

I'm sure tutors have met any parents whom they disagree with too. I have parents calling up to haggle my tuition fees everyday for over a week, parents who delayed my tuition fees payment by over a month, having to wait for the student to come home even though his mum arranged for the date and time way beforehand, or parents cancelling tuition at the last hour - like seriously 30mins before tuition.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Balim05 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:25 pm

Yes, it is true there are black sheep in every industry, same to parents. But parents have right to know. Parents have their choice. Do investigation before choose.

It is just like the spa case. You took my money first. When I try to make appointment for service, you will say fully booked. After sometime, you moved. So establish law become necessary. Same thing should be done to tutor. There is a retired tutor told me that they are no need to pay tax. They set the rules and parents can choose to follow. When come to the arguement, which section should parents or tutor seek for help?

Just to share.
http://sgforums.com/forums/2297/topics/350513
http://sgforums.com/forums/1279/topics/376107
http://www.mytuitionclub.com.sg/forum/v ... ?f=8&t=134

Balim05
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby tankee » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:00 pm

Actually, tutors are required to pay income tax

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Mdm Koh » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:59 pm

tankee wrote:Actually, tutors are required to pay income tax

Yes, we are. Cannot run away from paying the government. :wink:

I find it strange why Balim05 did not simply employ another tutor and instead, had to wait for the MIA tutor to finish all the lessons. :skeptical: By the way, Balim05, tuition agencies and tutors are trying to earn a living. We are not volunteers, although there are parents who seem to think so. :slapshead:

I am aware of tutors and agencies who overcharge parents, but if the fees are reasonable and in line with market rates, there is no need to label us as "money-minded".

Most people in Singapore work for a living. Does that mean that everyone who works is "money-minded"? :?

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby meinteel » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:14 pm

Balim05 said that the she paid the tutor beforehand. Its a rare case for private tuition isnt it? Most private tutors collect after a fixed number of tuition or at the end of the month. If I were you, I would have asked for refund since she is always not free.

Personally I dont believe in market rates. Before the start of the tuition, all the rates would be discussed. If the parent find it too high, or the tutor finds it too low, just reject. Once you accepted the rates, there is no point being sore about it. One is a willing buyer and the other a willing seller.

Also, everybody has to pay income tax and CPF contribution. Even small time businessman and students doing part time vacation jobs. =)

Reading the links Balim05 posted, it reminded me of this student I have. At the start, suppose to have one lesson a week but he cancels tuition 2-3 times a month - at the last hour. Imagine your employed asking you to take no pay leave for a week 2-3 times a month on Monday morning through a SMS.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Mdm Koh » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:13 pm

meinteel wrote:Balim05 said that the she paid the tutor beforehand. Its a rare case for private tuition isnt it? Most private tutors collect after a fixed number of tuition or at the end of the month. If I were you, I would have asked for refund since she is always not free.

Personally I dont believe in market rates. Before the start of the tuition, all the rates would be discussed. If the parent find it too high, or the tutor finds it too low, just reject. Once you accepted the rates, there is no point being sore about it. One is a willing buyer and the other a willing seller.

Also, everybody has to pay income tax and CPF contribution. Even small time businessman and students doing part time vacation jobs. =)

Reading the links Balim05 posted, it reminded me of this student I have. At the start, suppose to have one lesson a week but he cancels tuition 2-3 times a month - at the last hour. Imagine your employed asking you to take no pay leave for a week 2-3 times a month on Monday morning through a SMS.

Oh I see. In that case, Balim05, you should contact the agency. The coordinator will be able to speak with the tutor for you. Good luck with that. :smile:

I've also met a number of parents and students who cancel tuition at the last hour, meinteel. It's one of the pitfalls of being a tutor. I am fine with cancellations on special occasions. However, if they cancel too many times with poor excuses even when it's not the school holidays, I will terminate the assignment.

Apart from the loss in earnings, I am also concerned about the fact that these parents are booking time slots, which I could've put to more meaningful use tutoring other students who need extra help.

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby kitty2 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:42 am

meinteel wrote:Balim05 said that the she paid the tutor beforehand. Its a rare case for private tuition isnt it? Most private tutors collect after a fixed number of tuition or at the end of the month. If I were you, I would have asked for refund since she is always not free.

I came across such a tutor,we were asked to pay before hand.That time i was cluless of tutor's fee.I paid her in adavnce and at the end,she was a con tutor!!!!Lately,i asked another tutor,also from forum to show me her certificates to prove that she's a graduate.She could not.

Dedicated and good tutors are hard to come by.

Just sharing.

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby whitecorp » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:50 am

Many tuition coordinators are pretty crafty-to seal a deal they will just randomly mix and match, sometimes lying to both parents and tutors concurrently. After all, its non of their business how sour things get once they have earned the first month's commission.

Thats why I shun them like vermin these days.

JC H2 Maths Graduate Tutor

whitecorp
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment