Why is Tuition Necessary?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Tuition Necessary/Unnecessary

Postby nretni » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:11 pm

Hello!

Just curious, what are your views on tuition?

Do you think it is necessary for parents to fork out extra money to pay for their children's education?

Are the prices of tuition getting too expensive?

nretni
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Hire Tutor OR Parent's Guidance

Postby nretni » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi!

Currently many parents send their children for tuition at early ages such at 7.

What I'm curious about is,

Do you think that parents should be helping out their children in their studies instead of sending them for tuition?

Another questioned I want to raise is,

Do you send your children for tuition only when they are doing badly in their subjects?

Looking forward to your views on this!

nretni
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Hire Tutor OR Parent's Guidance

Postby tankee » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:44 pm

IMO

- tuition is only necessary when child is unable to understand what is being taught in class.

- having tuition, does not mean parents can "sit back and relax". It is vital for parents to be involved and play an active role in guiding the child. Even if it is a subject that the parent is not familiar with, it is good to be there, by the child's side, encouraging the child while the child revise the school work.

- And if the child has not problem with the school work, parents may choose to send the child for enrichment classes if money is not an issue.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby libran269 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:03 pm

nretni wrote:Hi!

Currently many parents send their children for tuition at early ages such at 7.

What I'm curious about is,

Do you think that parents should be helping out their children in their studies instead of sending them for tuition?

Another questioned I want to raise is,

Do you send your children for tuition only when they are doing badly in their subjects?

Looking forward to your views on this!

I think as early as 4 start going for classes or tutions to prepare for P1. My Dd is 4 yr old, and I cant imagine her sitting in tuution classes. I coach her her few times in a week as her school is not very academically oriented.

libran269
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Primary School Tuition

Postby nretni » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi!

I just want to know people's thought on tuition for their children in primary school.

Do you think it's too early for them to be attending tuition?

Should they be enjoying their childhood days instead of stressing over academic results?

How much does the school system affect parent's decision in sending their children for tuition?

Do share your honest opinions! :wink:

nretni
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Oppsgal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:03 pm

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Primary School Tuition

Postby Mvm » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:04 pm

Any good contacts for mandarin home tuition in the east?

Mvm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Oppsgal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:04 pm

tankee wrote:IMO

- tuition is only necessary when child is unable to understand what is being taught in class.

- having tuition, does not mean parents can "sit back and relax". It is vital for parents to be involved and play an active role in guiding the child. Even if it is a subject that the parent is not familiar with, it is good to be there, by the child's side, encouraging the child while the child revise the school work.

- And if the child has not problem with the school work, parents may choose to send the child for enrichment classes if money is not an issue.

Only find it necessary if parents have no clue what the subject is about or do not know how to teach.

other wise, don't waste the money.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Primary School Tuition

Postby KooBits EDU » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:09 pm

I think if parents send their primary school children for tuition, they really need to find the right tutors who can engage them and not be too strict or boring.

When I taught tuition in the past, the problem was more often than not a lack of motivation rather than lack of ability...

KooBits EDU
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby KiasuAdult » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:14 pm

I went for tuition at nursery leh for phonics class... guess my parents are the kiasu type! and i stuck with my tutor until p5 leh...

KiasuAdult
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment