How best to maintain records for home tuitions

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

How best to maintain records for home tuitions

Postby karenmok » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:51 pm

I am engaging a private tutor to teach Science and Maths to my DD. How best can I maintain records of lessons, payments, etc, so that disputes can avoided? I will keep records in my notebook and the tutor will also keep records in her notebook but is there a common document for to fall back upon in case of dispute? Can someone guide me please...

karenmok
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How best to maintain records for home tuitions

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Get the tutor to sign off after each lesson and payment ?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby karenmok » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:55 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:Get the tutor to sign off after each lesson and payment ?

Where should I get the tutor to sign off? Is there some standard form or on a random piece of paper? Should duplicates be maintained? Are payments made with every class or every month? Can I pay by cheque or internet? How to avoid disputes in such cases? Please let me know as I am terribly confused.

Thanks again for your help...

karenmok
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:17 pm

You can buy an exercise bk and divide the columns into dates, timing, date when payment is made and a column for sign off by the tutor. This exercise bk can be kept by you. If the tutor wants a duplicate, I guess he/she can use the hand phone to take a pic.

Frequency of payment is made bet you and the tutor/ agency. But I guess on the 4th lessons bah.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:19 pm

You can buy an exercise bk and divide the columns into dates, timing, date when payment is made and a column for sign off by the tutor. This exercise bk can be kept by you. If the tutor wants a duplicate, I guess he/she can use the hand phone to take a pic.

Frequency of payment is made bet you and the tutor/ agency. But I guess on the 4th lessons bah.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby snowcloud » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:22 am

as a tutor, I am fine with the payment mode and frequency preferred by the parent. Some of the parents pay me on every lesson taught while some follow every 4th lesson. To make it easier for those busy parent, I also suggest we go by the month. If there is 5 week, then the fee is prorated. The good thing about monthly basis is parent just have to take note of any cancellation of lesson. (if really missed any date, they can check using handphone any SMS sent to cancel lesson) . If there isn't any cancellation for that particular month, parent just pay by the number of week.

Fyi, I used to have a parent who get ready a planner with the month and date on it. Each time I turn up for lesson, I will sign on the date. She will count the number of signature and pay me on every 4th lesson which require me to sign on the planner.

Another parent choose to pay me by lesson and prepared what SAHM_Tan had suggested to you. After lesson, she will pass me the payment and sign to acknowledge it.

snowcloud
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby buds » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:36 am

Issue payment voucher, with or without duplicate. Indicate cheque number on it : (e.g.) POSB _______ Sign off on planner. If you want to keep physical copies of proof of payments, attach payment vouchers or fund transfer slips onto planner as well plus initial the transaction number on the planner. iBanking transfer, initial on planner and sign off. To be fair, both parent and tutor sign on this record.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby godzmight » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:19 am

The easiest way is to pay for each lesson. That will eliminate any confusion.

godzmight
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Kellystarry » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:01 pm

Normally i write on the calendar and also in a notebook. After every lesson, tutor will sign off.

Kellystarry
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Skyed » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:04 pm

Last time my tutor has this notebook that I keep after every lesson sign and write down a summary of what was done for that lesson.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment