Is there a practice to give bonus to tutor?

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Is there a practice to give bonus to tutor?

Postby KSmom8 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:34 am

DS has been attending Chinese enrichment classes in a tuition centre since P2 and has a private Chinese tutor since P5. The Chinese tutor's main focus was on oral skills since we don't speak Chinese at home. Recently his Chinese tutor gave him a Hongbao for his performance in PSLE. The Hongbao contained $1xx! I feel that this is inappropriate especially considering the quantum. However, what should do? Returning the $ seemed rude....

Actually, I did consider giving her a bonus earlier... However, was not too sure what is the practice now? Don't recall my own Chinese tutors receiving bonuses - probably was not done during my schooldays. In the end, decided against a monetary bonus for 2 reasons: i feel that the enrichment centre and DS school teachers might probably helped more with his good Chinese results; and I did not want to set a precedent. What if she expects a bonus every year...particularly if she felt DS did well but I felt otherwise... Don't want unhappiness due to different expectations. So finally thought of getting her a gift nearer to Christmas.

Now, with this latest "development", I am reconsidering... Should I give her a monetary bonus? If so, how much is the norm (if indeed there is this practice)? Should I give a more expensive gift now? Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill? :? DH does not seem concerned about this at all, whilst I'm up at 12am plus thinking about it. :scratchhead:

Any advice or suggestion would be very very much appreciated. :?:

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Is there a practice to give bonus to tutor?

Postby AceTutors123 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:58 am

Wow this is really rare! I have not heard of tutor giving so much monetary reward to a private student. It could be a genuine token of encouragement for your DS. If you plan to continue with the private tutor, you should consider getting something as a show of appreciation. I have no idea whether should it be expensive or not though!
Gifting can be such a complex thing =p

-Justin

AceTutors123
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Kellystarry » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:55 pm

Wow...first time hearing of this type of practice...normally i give gifts or bake some cookies and cakes ;)

Kellystarry
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Skyed » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:56 pm

I don't give bonus but during holiday period eg Christmas etc will give gifts.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby KSmom8 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Justin (Ace tutors), kellystarry and skyed, thank you!

Am somewhat relieved that I'm not the only one who does not give monetary bonus to tutor. She's my DS's only private tutor so was not sure what's the norm these days. Yes, I normally give cakes, cookies to her, especially during cny.

Tutor likes my DS who's the kwai sort and is very pleased with his results...so yes, it was meant as an encouragement. Though I still think the quantum was simply :yikes:

DS did do very well for his Chinese so she does deserve a token of appreciation. Was kinda of worried of "insulting" her if a monetary bonus is the norm these days. Will probably stick to the original idea of getting her a "bigger" gift as appreciation.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Should be able to sleep more soundly tonight...I hope.

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby CamiTLX » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi,
I dont being giving monetary bonus is a norm. Both from the tutor or from the parents.

Giving money as a reward for good work seems a negative reward when students are incentivised monetarily for good results.

Giving money to tutor can also increase the expectations of the tutor for more.

Although, on both sides, it can be seen positively. Kind of 50%-50%.

Regards,
Cami

CamiTLX
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby AdonciaTang » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:29 am

Hi, my first time too hearing that. My kid's tutor will give him gifts to encourage him only but not red packets.

On our side, DH will give her bonus after exams as she is really very good and my kids like her very much.

AdonciaTang
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:02 pm

I don't give bonus to tutors...but I gave chocolate during teachers' day and moon cakes...no monetary bonus...but gifts. They have gone out of their way for my son...we truly appreciate that.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby AdonciaTang » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:42 am

I guess there are different ways to show appreciation, as long as you feel its right, then do it.

AdonciaTang
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby kiasu--carer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:07 pm

I usually give gift but find giving gift card to Robinsons, Tangs, Cathay Cinema or Shaws depending on what tutor likes works best.

kiasu--carer
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment