LEARNConcierge

All About Finding & Evaluating Tutors

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

Re: All About Finding & Evaluating Tutors

Postby Lynn1967 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:58 pm

xueyan wrote:
Lynn1967 wrote:Honestly, some tutors r very good in talking but cannot teach one. U ask a lot of qns they also promise tis n tat but in the end cant deliver. I dun mind paying higher for a gd one but they hv to make sure they can deliver mah.
Just to share, I always request to sit in for half an hour to listen to how the tutor teach. Although I cannot teach but I definitely can tell if a tutor can teach, haha!

Sit in? I wouldn't dare to suggest that. I am sure most tutors will not like to be watched by parents.
But if able to sit in, I am sure able to gauge whether tutor can teach.

There is nothing wrong in requesting to sit in. If a tutor can teach, y is he or she scare of parents sitting in? Anyway I dun sit for the whole session nor interrupt them. So far I have tried more than 10 tutors non have rejected me in sitting in although some appeared not so pleased lah. But I can tell u, more than half cant make it. Do u noe how some conduct the tuition? They will just ask the students to do the assessment books then if they r stuck the tutor will help. Liddat I may as well teach them myself. Also, I hv v bad impression of some part time tutors who r studying. During exam periods some will disappear as they r busying preparing for their own exams!

Lynn1967
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby xueyan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:49 pm

Lynn1967 wrote:
xueyan wrote:
Lynn1967 wrote:Honestly, some tutors r very good in talking but cannot teach one. U ask a lot of qns they also promise tis n tat but in the end cant deliver. I dun mind paying higher for a gd one but they hv to make sure they can deliver mah.
Just to share, I always request to sit in for half an hour to listen to how the tutor teach. Although I cannot teach but I definitely can tell if a tutor can teach, haha!

Sit in? I wouldn't dare to suggest that. I am sure most tutors will not like to be watched by parents.

There is nothing wrong in requesting to sit in. If a tutor can teach, y is he or she scare of parents sitting in? Anyway I dun sit for the whole session nor interrupt them. So far I have tried more than 10 tutors non have rejected me in sitting in although some appeared not so pleased lah. But I can tell u, more than half cant make it. Do u noe how some conduct the tuition? They will just ask the students to do the assessment books then if they r stuck the tutor will help. Liddat I may as well teach them myself. Also, I hv v bad impression of some part time tutors who r studying. During exam periods some will disappear as they r busying preparing for their own exams!

I feel that this is what tutors normally do. Even for classes in enrichment school they do so isn;t it?

Very few will make effort to repeat and go thru again for weak students.

xueyan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Lynn1967 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Yes, most enrichment class n tutors do tat. I can understand for enrichment class since all needs to move in the same pace. But I hv different expectation when it comes to home 1 to 1 tutor.

The Maths tutor I recommended u tat day (I am referring to my son’s one) do not waste time doing assessment books during tuition. She only go through corrections if there are mistakes in the assment or school hw. She normally teaches the new chapter earlier than the school so my son’s pace is always ahead of the school.
Last week she told me to get the top schools past years papers by end of Sep as she will be asking my son to do them starting Oct. She oso got set her own hard problem sums to drill my son n she really makes efforts to go through again n again on his weak areas. When she first taught him, she told me my son is v smart but the assessment books u bought for him is too easy tats y he appear lack of interest. She offered to help me get those more challenging one n I can really see the difference in my son’s maths std. U see the difference?

But the bad point is she is quite busy n hv limited slots so my son’s tuition timing isn’t exactly wat I want but I tink tis is secondary consider the quality I am getting. I just hope she can cont’d smoothly for him till P6.

Lynn1967
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby xueyan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Lynn1967 wrote:Yes, most enrichment class n tutors do tat. I can understand for enrichment class since all needs to move in the same pace. But I hv different expectation when it comes to home 1 to 1 tutor.

The Maths tutor I recommended u tat day (I am referring to my son’s one) do not waste time doing assessment books during tuition. She only go through corrections if there are mistakes in the assment or school hw. She normally teaches the new chapter earlier than the school so my son’s pace is always ahead of the school.
Last week she told me to get the top schools past years papers by end of Sep as she will be asking my son to do them starting Oct. She oso got set her own hard problem sums to drill my son n she really makes efforts to go through again n again on his weak areas. When she first taught him, she told me my son is v smart but the assessment books u bought for him is too easy tats y he appear lack of interest. She offered to help me get those more challenging one n I can really see the difference in my son’s maths std. U see the difference?

But the bad point is she is quite busy n hv limited slots so my son’s tuition timing isn’t exactly wat I want but I tink tis is secondary consider the quality I am getting. I just hope she can cont’d smoothly for him till P6.

Many thanks for your recommendation. Agree totally that for 1 to 1, tutor need to cater to the kid's level and improve from there. It is really very difficult to find a good tutor.

Anybody has good English tutor please pm me.

Thanks!

xueyan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mummyxoxo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:51 pm

Lynn1967 wrote:Yes, most enrichment class n tutors do tat. I can understand for enrichment class since all needs to move in the same pace. But I hv different expectation when it comes to home 1 to 1 tutor.

That sounds like the tutor my dd used to have too...

mummyxoxo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby FantasyLandDreams » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:22 pm

Porky Pig wrote:
phtthp wrote:
xueyan wrote:

How about you try to sit close near the door of the classroom, hear how the Teacher teach the class ?

That's one way, to check how she teach

I always try to park myself nearby during the first few lessons of a 1-1 tuition. Luckily the tuition is at my dining room table and I will always be around the kitchen area "listening" while doing housework.

That's what my frens always advised: all lessons / tuition to be conducted at dining /living room. Even computer cannot put in children's room so that easier to 'monitor' their online activities by taking peeks on and off. :razz:

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ThinkEnglish » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:49 am

Most kids like to be seen as independent, so they may not like having their parents sit in during tuition. I agree that it's ideal to have the lesson at an open area, such as the dining room. Occasionally have someone in the family pop by to listen in. Before each lesson, you can also request for the tutor to let you know the topics or skills to be covered. This can be done via email for parents who may not be at home during the lesson.

There should be no problem for a tutor to let the parent know the school that he or she is teaching in. Some current school teachers may not want to reveal the information on their profiles, but they should be able to answer the parent when asked.

ThinkEnglish
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby xueyan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi

May I know is it reasonable for me to expect tutor to cover creative writing in the English tuition? I believe creative writing is quite specialized and not all tutors can teach?

Please advise

Thanks.

xueyan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sky minecrafter » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:07 pm

xueyan wrote:... is it reasonable for me to expect tutor to cover creative writing in the English tuition? I believe creative writing is quite specialized and not all tutors can teach?...

Hi, why not? CW is part of EL, no? Ask & hear what she/he has to say?

sky minecrafter
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Seannnnn » Mon May 14, 2018 3:06 pm

xueyan wrote:Hi

May I know is it reasonable for me to expect tutor to cover creative writing in the English tuition? I believe creative writing is quite specialized and not all tutors can teach?

Please advise

Thanks.

Strictly speaking, creative writing in a specific writing style which many would find important but is not the entire gist of the english language. That being said, creative writing can be learned along with the english language because mastery of writing requires an understanding of grammar, vocabulary, sentence structuring, etc.

So, learning creative writing is great but should not be a standalone. Thats my opinion.

Seannnnn
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Previous

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment

LEARNConcierge