All About Finding & Evaluating Tutors

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
cheryllimlol
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: All About Finding & Evaluating Tutors

Post by cheryllimlol » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:26 pm

Hey parents, wondering if you guys face any trouble in compatibility of tutors? For example do you think personality is important? My son is mischievous and just hates doing homework.. While the tutors I have hired previously are diligent and good, they seem to be almost too nice and were not able to assert their weight. Any advice here in hiring the appropriate tutor or assessing them prior to selecting them?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but how do you guys usually search for tutors? and what is the range of prices you consider to be acceptable?

Thank you!

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:20

Post by Joy of Learning 111 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:20 pm

cheryllimlol wrote:Hey parents, wondering if you guys face any trouble in compatibility of tutors? For example do you think personality is important? My son is mischievous and just hates doing homework.. While the tutors I have hired previously are diligent and good, they seem to be almost too nice and were not able to assert their weight. Any advice here in hiring the appropriate tutor or assessing them prior to selecting them?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but how do you guys usually search for tutors? and what is the range of prices you consider to be acceptable?

Thank you!
Personality is crucial.

Choose an older tutor who has a certain gravitas.

Price is dependent on level, subject and venue together with how qualified and experienced you want the tutor to be.

slheaen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by slheaen » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:32 pm

cheryllimlol wrote:Hey parents, wondering if you guys face any trouble in compatibility of tutors? For example do you think personality is important? My son is mischievous and just hates doing homework.. While the tutors I have hired previously are diligent and good, they seem to be almost too nice and were not able to assert their weight. Any advice here in hiring the appropriate tutor or assessing them prior to selecting them?

Thank you!
Yes, I think Personality is important. That's why I think having an agent helps. I'm a coordinator myself. I said this not because I want the job, but I think having a coordinator helps you to screen through and understand your needs, before confirming.
My mum used to hire tutor for me and she fired quite a few because of improper dressing, not teachingg well.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

janice.g
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by janice.g » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:36 pm

Sometimes it is about fate... haha... what works for one child may not work for another.. however, I feel it is best to get referrals from friends or relatives.. cuz they will review for us... usually tutors who have a way with kids will be able to handle most of them...

janice.g
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by janice.g » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:38 pm

Sometimes it is about fate... haha... what works for one child may not work for another.. however, I feel it is best to get referrals from friends or relatives.. cuz they will review for us... usually tutors who have a way with kids will be able to handle most of them...

singaporesling65
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by singaporesling65 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:25 am

Hi parents,

Do you know of any agencies that I can pay online via CC instead of having to write cheques? I haven't had luck with any in my neighborhood ... wondering why more agencies don't do this option so it can simplify the process a little bit.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:31 pm

slheaen wrote: Yes, I think Personality is important. That's why I think having an agent helps. I'm a coordinator myself. I said this not because I want the job, but I think having a coordinator helps you to screen through and understand your needs, before confirming.
i got my tutors through the coordinator. she will ask me what i need and then screen tutors to match...of course i will tell her my budget and that the potential tutor must be comfortable with the rate so that we can start off on a happy note.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:67

Post by zbear » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:46 pm

singaporesling65 wrote:Hi parents,

Do you know of any agencies that I can pay online via CC instead of having to write cheques? I haven't had luck with any in my neighborhood ... wondering why more agencies don't do this option so it can simplify the process a little bit.

What about internet bank transfers instead of CC?

mylulaoshi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by mylulaoshi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:59 pm

Tutors are Educational Human Resource that parents engage. Tutors should have experience and techniques to efficiently help you achieve your goals. HR issues are everywhere, humans fall sick, some commitment over-weigh others. Some parents prefer to enroll their kids in centres so HR problems are off their list. Being a Chinese Teacher, I always hear parents tell me their previous China teacher went back China and decided not to come back, or always going back to hometown during exam period. :censored: Even I am guilty of it :xedfingers: As I am the one and only teacher teaching, I do fall sick once/twice a year and have to re-schedule lessons.But character and expertise should be the top priority.

Brilliance Edulearn
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Brilliance Edulearn » Sat May 27, 2017 9:22 pm

[Know of any student/parent looking for tutor(s)? Refer him/her to us to earn 10% of our commission! For more details, sms/whatsapp to 97634515/96675135 or email to brillianceedulearn@outlook.com or visit our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/brillianceedulearn/]