All About Finding & Evaluating Tutors

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
xueyan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: All About Finding & Evaluating Tutors

Post by xueyan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:47 am

Hi

How do I check that the tutor really teach in a particular school? Recently I whatsapp with a tutor. She said she is a current school teacher from a elite school. How can I verify that?

I suspect because I find that her standard of English (in whatsapp) is not very good.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:56

Post by sembgal » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:57 pm

Ask for her school moe email address

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:241

Post by phtthp » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:26 pm

Besides asking her for school MOE email address, also asked her specifically -
In which year, did she teach what subject, at which level ?

Then verify with the school itself

If she is a fake Tr, when u ask her these type of specific qn, she will try to Siam your qn, because she is lying, if she cannot even provide such fundamental data, asked by parents (customers)

Lynn1967
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Lynn1967 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Yes I agree the tutor's personality is v impt. I always hv problem with my son as he is super talkative n hv short attention span. He is weak in Maths n I have changed many tutors for him. I even got male tutors thinking that he will be more scared but oso useless. In the end I managed to get a strict one who will spare no nonsense. My boy auto become more cooperative as he noe who can play around with n who cannot.

xueyan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by xueyan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:40 pm

phtthp wrote:Besides asking her for school MOE email address, also asked her specifically -
In which year, did she teach what subject, at which level ?

Then verify with the school itself

If she is a fake Tr, when u ask her these type of specific qn, she will try to Siam your qn, because she is lying, if she cannot even provide such fundamental data, asked by parents (customers)
I told her I cannot find her name in the school website. She said that she will look for it and pass to me but didn't.

Don't know whether deliberate or forgotten to do so.

I paiseh to probe.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:56

Post by sembgal » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:26 pm

Don't feel paiseh to probe. You are paying so much for an hour and you have every right to ask. You should do the ground work like finding out how many years experience she has and where she has taught before engaging her service.

Lynn1967
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Lynn1967 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:21 pm

Honestly, some tutors r very good in talking but cannot teach one. U ask a lot of qns they also promise tis n tat but in the end cant deliver. I dun mind paying higher for a gd one but they hv to make sure they can deliver mah.
Just to share, I always request to sit in for half an hour to listen to how the tutor teach. Although I cannot teach but I definitely can tell if a tutor can teach, haha!

xueyan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by xueyan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:17 pm

Lynn1967 wrote:Honestly, some tutors r very good in talking but cannot teach one. U ask a lot of qns they also promise tis n tat but in the end cant deliver. I dun mind paying higher for a gd one but they hv to make sure they can deliver mah.
Just to share, I always request to sit in for half an hour to listen to how the tutor teach. Although I cannot teach but I definitely can tell if a tutor can teach, haha!
Sit in? I wouldn't dare to suggest that. I am sure most tutors will not like to be watched by parents.
But if able to sit in, I am sure able to gauge whether tutor can teach.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:241

Post by phtthp » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:28 pm

xueyan wrote:
Sit in? I wouldn't dare to suggest that. I am sure most tutors will not like to be watched by parents.
How about you try to sit close near the door of the classroom, hear how the Teacher teach the class ?

That's one way, to check how she teach

Porky Pig
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:10

Post by Porky Pig » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:07 pm

phtthp wrote:
xueyan wrote:
How about you try to sit close near the door of the classroom, hear how the Teacher teach the class ?

That's one way, to check how she teach
I always try to park myself nearby during the first few lessons of a 1-1 tuition. Luckily the tuition is at my dining room table and I will always be around the kitchen area "listening" while doing housework.