All About Finding & Evaluating Tutors

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Re: All About Finding & Evaluating Tutors

Post by kitty2 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:24 pm

xueyan wrote:Hi

May I know is it reasonable for me to expect tutor to cover creative writing in the English tuition? I believe creative writing is quite specialized and not all tutors can teach?

Please advise

Thanks.
Do you still need one ,PM me if you do.I know one who specializes in CW but her fee is steep and teaching in the west

FindHomeTuition
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by FindHomeTuition » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:18 pm

xueyan wrote:Hi

May I know is it reasonable for me to expect tutor to cover creative writing in the English tuition? I believe creative writing is quite specialized and not all tutors can teach?

Please advise

Thanks.
I believe you might be talking either about creative writing in the language arts aspects (IP schools) or creative writing for the CAP programme which is MOE programme. You can ask for a tutor that is proficient in teaching that because as mentioned its pretty niche, however yes its not a standalone!

SFRLearning
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by SFRLearning » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:48 pm

xueyan wrote:
Lynn1967 wrote:Honestly, some tutors r very good in talking but cannot teach one. U ask a lot of qns they also promise tis n tat but in the end cant deliver. I dun mind paying higher for a gd one but they hv to make sure they can deliver mah.
Just to share, I always request to sit in for half an hour to listen to how the tutor teach. Although I cannot teach but I definitely can tell if a tutor can teach, haha!
Sit in? I wouldn't dare to suggest that. I am sure most tutors will not like to be watched by parents.
But if able to sit in, I am sure able to gauge whether tutor can teach.
I do not see anything wrong with parents sitting in for 1 or 2 lessons as long as the student himself/herself feel comfortable about it. As a tutor, he/she should be confident in their teaching and as long as the parents are not interrupting the lesson unnecessarily, there should not be any issue.

sweetbaby
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:18

Post by sweetbaby » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:10 pm

Hi
Helping someone to look for Higher Malay tutor. Please PM your details and rates. Thanks.

Andrea D
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Andrea D » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:30 pm

SFRLearning wrote:
xueyan wrote:
Lynn1967 wrote:Honestly, some tutors r very good in talking but cannot teach one. U ask a lot of qns they also promise tis n tat but in the end cant deliver. I dun mind paying higher for a gd one but they hv to make sure they can deliver mah.
Just to share, I always request to sit in for half an hour to listen to how the tutor teach. Although I cannot teach but I definitely can tell if a tutor can teach, haha!
Sit in? I wouldn't dare to suggest that. I am sure most tutors will not like to be watched by parents.
But if able to sit in, I am sure able to gauge whether tutor can teach.
I do not see anything wrong with parents sitting in for 1 or 2 lessons as long as the student himself/herself feel comfortable about it. As a tutor, he/she should be confident in their teaching and as long as the parents are not interrupting the lesson unnecessarily, there should not be any issue.
In my opinion this really depends on all 3 factors: child, tutor, parent, how each of them prefer. I don't see anything wrong either, but I believe that it's better to leave the tutor and child alone, because child will gain confidence this way and focus more on the tuition, and not focus on how his parent reacts if he didn't understand something immediately or if he makes any comments towards him.

I think it's best that the parent has a talk with kid before the tuition, but then to let tutor do his job alone, that's his job by the way isn't it?

Tutor shouldn't mind, but I know that one of my colleagues talk a lot while monitoring their children tasks, but then complain how tutor doesn't explain well, so I believe it's better for the kid especially that the tuition wasn't monitored.

I recently read one article related to this topic so you can check it out as well since you are interested:
https://www.noodle.com/articles/8-thing ... ts-parents
https://smiletutor.sg/dont-make-these-6 ... e-tuition/

Brenda3700
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Brenda3700 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:28 pm

I was concerned and apprehensive about joining The Learning Lab but my daughter's teacher Ms. Dora calmed down all my hesitations and issues. This was a great help not just to me but as well as my kid. We were able to settle down very smoothly at The Learning Lab. Her teacher was very responsive w/ the many issues we had. We did not know anything about the syllabus and the environment but Ms. Dora helped us a lot. She was very meticulous in the delivery of her work. She is not a teacher who will scream at her kids, but always has a smile, regardless of the situation. She gave me such a good eye-opener to what The Learning Lab is and I must say I was very impressed. She's the kind of teacher every child would be happy and lucky to have.
The Staff at TLL are really doing a great job and they have exceeded my expectations. Being w/ them was a stress free. Every person I met in The Learning Lab were all wonderful. What keeps a child in a centre is not only the child’s experience but also the parent’s experiences. Many centres do not involve the parent’s experiences and don’t realise that their experience matters as well. I’ve enrolled my kid in another subject and I am considering to enroll for a third subject. Our journey there has really been quite a wonderful journey for us. We have become like family. The Learning Lab is like a family to us and we feel so warm, beyond words.

faithgurl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by faithgurl » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:55 pm

Hi,

Anybody has a good English tutor to recommend? Desperately looking for P4 & P2 English tutor, focusing more on Creative writing/compo & compre component as my P4 is quite weak in it. P2 just wana keep in pace, exposing her in Creative writing too. Hope anyone here can assist & prefer word of mouth recommendation as I have bad experiences wif a few tutors b4. Kindly pm me or reply here. Thanks!

Juls00
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Juls00 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:42 am

We have really loved our experience at Star River Language School. Our daughter has flourished in the school. The exploratory play based learning suited her well. She has benefited from the international and diverse environment. Diane enjoyed going to school everyday and playing with her friends as well as learning from the teachers.

Kikis
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Kikis » Fri May 17, 2019 8:35 pm

I know of a tutor who is good with students with slower learners who need different learning approaches. His specialty is in English, Econs, business law, management, accounting & Statistics.

This tutor has helped my daughter who has been taking Diploma in Business Studies. She has not been performing well in Econs, Accounting & Business Law.

I must say he’s a god sent as I didn’t know he can teach a few subjects not just 1. Hence, when my daughter got problems with an assignment, this tutor could adjust and plan the schedule to cater more time on the assignment which was graded. He is extremely flexible and most importantly patient. My daughter is not easy to teach as well and doesn’t do well in Group tuition as she is a lot slower than others. So far, I must say he has really performed miracle for my daughter. I thought she’s going to fail a few subjects which she did in her first year and had to retake a few modules. She tried a few tutors and Group tuition without success. We were pretty desperate. My colleague told me about a tutor that has been coaching her son who is taking a degree in business admin. Her son too has been struggling with the assignments. He went from fail to a B. Her son started to read up more and was more motivated in his studies. I then decided to it a go and was so glad to get this tutor who coincidentally is trained in motivational skills and could tailor his teaching style according to the student’s learning style. I thought it will be useful for people to know that there are such tutors around..rare & cannot possibly find such dedicated tutor. I’m lucky to get him to coach my child. So, parents don’t give up hope on your child or keep sending the kids to the best enrichment classes with no results. You can whatsapp him at 97545328 to check for his available schedule & rates.

Kikis
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Kikis » Fri May 17, 2019 8:43 pm

By the way, this tutor is also specialized in English for primary & secondary. He helped my younger son move up his grades to an A for PSLE.