All About Tuition Agent Fees

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.

All About Tuition Agent Fees

Postby kitty2 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:44 am

Wonder anyone has this experience with the agent?My friend engaged a tutor from an agent and the tutor resign within 24 hrs after 4 lessons with her crap excuses!!!!The agent wanted to collect the fee for the 4 lessons as my friend refused any replacement of tutor.She also refused to pay the agent as they didn't do a proper job.

Is my friend in the right if she didn't pay soon,the agent will take legal action.

Please advice,thanks

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Tuition Agent Fee

Postby AceTutors123 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:56 am

kitty2 wrote:Wonder anyone has this experience with the agent?My friend engaged a tutor from an agent and the tutor resign within 24 hrs after 4 lessons with her crap excuses!!!!The agent wanted to collect the fee for the 4 lessons as my friend refused any replacement of tutor.She also refused to pay the agent as they didn't do a proper job.

Is my friend in the right if she didn't pay soon,the agent will take legal action.

Please advice,thanks

Usually once the lessons have been rendered by the tutor, the customer is obliged to pay accordingly. It goes by the principle that the service has been delivered by the tutor.

However, there are times when tutors do not commit to a student for the long-run, for many possible reasons. You should know that this is actually disadvantageous to the tutor as he/she still has to pay the commission fee to the agency. When such things usually happen kitty2, the tutor is usually in a worse position than the parent/student.

The agency nonetheless has the obligation to check that the tutor can commit for the long-run (usually at least until examinations are over) before appointing the tutor to your friend.

As of now, since the lessons have been rendered, it seems fair for your friend to pay =)

AceTutors123
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby elishatan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:00 pm

Aye aye. The service has been completed, the service must be paid for.

Plus there isn't any contract that the tutor has to continue after the first 4 lessons, is there?

elishatan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kitty2 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:36 am

elishatan wrote:Aye aye. The service has been completed, the service must be paid for.

Plus there isn't any contract that the tutor has to continue after the first 4 lessons, is there?

Oh i thought the fee will be paid after the 8 lessons which other agent is doing?She left without any notice ....

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sembgal » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:11 am

Agent will collect 4 lessons payment first once tutor finished her 4 lessons. The first 4 lessons served as commission for the tuition agency. If that tutor continues to teach next 4 lessons, on the 8th lesson, she will be paid remaining 50% balance. In this case the tutor quit at 4th lesson, so this tutor will not earn a single cent from the tuition assignment. I would advise your friend to pay.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kitty2 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:36 am

sembgal wrote:Agent will collect 4 lessons payment first once tutor finished her 4 lessons. The first 4 lessons served as commission for the tuition agency. If that tutor continues to teach next 4 lessons, on the 8th lesson, she will be paid remaining 50% balance. In this case the tutor quit at 4th lesson, so this tutor will not earn a single cent from the tuition assignment. I would advise your friend to pay.

:thankyou:

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kitty2 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:30 am

DOE_admin wrote:I doubt legal action can be served when negotiations were most likely done over the phone without the signing of any binding contract, so it's your friend's words against the agent's.

Anyways to spend money on a lawyer just to get back a month's fees....................isn't exactly worth it. Unless the agent is indignant her work ethic/personal dignity should not be threatened.

:goodpost: :thankyou:

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SaltySalt » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:39 am

But if there is proof and evidence through emails then there might be a possibility to get back the fees from the parent. but why would the tutor suddenly quit? Honestly sometimes, some parents can be quite demanding too. No offense, just my point of view.

SaltySalt
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kitty2 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:16 pm

SaltySalt wrote:But if there is proof and evidence through emails then there might be a possibility to get back the fees from the parent. but why would the tutor suddenly quit? Honestly sometimes, some parents can be quite demanding too. No offense, just my point of view.

There's nothing wrong with the parents and students,the tutor was just filling her empty slot during the holidays.Most of the students will take a break after the exmas.

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: All About Tuition Agent Fees

Postby Flio » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:47 pm

Although the services have been rendered, a poor one nonetheless on the part of the agency, your friend could argue that it was not service provided up to satisfactory standards.

This is assuming the tutor left abruptly without any clear explanation to your friend.

Therefore, the agency should not be claiming for rendering unsatisfactory service and have failed on their part to ensure this tutor is the suitable 'one' for your friend.

This is not from a legal perspective but from one of a consumer.
From a legal perspective, the service rendered only needs to be of adequate level and not one of satisfactory level.

Highly doubt the agent will go through legal means to recover this fee as mentioned in an earlier post due to the small sum of monies and hassle involved.

Hope this helps.

Flio
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Academic Learning & Enrichment