All About Tuition Agent Fees

Find out how to teach our children, or find and evaluate providers if we cannot do the teaching ourselves.
Forum rules
The Academic Learning & Enrichment Forums are intended for parents to discuss how to teach their own children, and to find out more about education providers. Education providers can help parents with their queries, do they are NOT allowed to promote their services in these Forums. Advertisements should be done in the Buy & Sell -> Tuition Forum.
passioninlearning
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Re: All About Tuition Agent Fees

Post by passioninlearning » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:12 pm

Ivy80 wrote:
mummyxoxo wrote:
Angel1980 wrote:Some tutors are just part timer. May not be so responsible
Quite subjective though.
For a part-timer, they are only available in the evening. It also depends whether they are graduates or undergraduates tutor. Generally student tutor can go missing without notice.
This may not be totally true. For graduates or undergraduate tutors, they could be teaching out of passion. In certain cases where there is a premature end to the sessions, sometimes it could be the parents who could have played a part too.

JoeC
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by JoeC » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:22 pm

In the end, it really depends on the tutor you engage. A part -timer maybe responsible enough to accommodate as much as possible timing wise for the kids. However, the issue is of course due to time constraint as they are part - time. Same goes for student tutors, as I have engaged an undergrad to teach my kid (who is in primary 5) and he is a good tutor. However, when it comes down to prepping for finals for himself and my kid, there will only be that many available slots he can offer.

Thus, in the end I went with a full-time tutor, and was fortunate to be able to engage a good tutor who can help my kid improve the results tremendously. Hopefully my tutor can work with my kid to give me a pleasant surprise for the upcoming finals!

FindHomeTuition
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by FindHomeTuition » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:27 pm

JoeC wrote:In the end, it really depends on the tutor you engage. A part -timer maybe responsible enough to accommodate as much as possible timing wise for the kids. However, the issue is of course due to time constraint as they are part - time. Same goes for student tutors, as I have engaged an undergrad to teach my kid (who is in primary 5) and he is a good tutor. However, when it comes down to prepping for finals for himself and my kid, there will only be that many available slots he can offer.

Thus, in the end I went with a full-time tutor, and was fortunate to be able to engage a good tutor who can help my kid improve the results tremendously. Hopefully my tutor can work with my kid to give me a pleasant surprise for the upcoming finals!
You're right! We usually recommend parents to get Full-time tutors if they want more slots and options for their child + more flexibility and extra guidance.
Sometimes part time tutors have their own commitments or may have their own uni exams to focus on and may not be able to take up that many slots.

But I think as long as parents make clear the intention of ramping up lessons and doing the usual background check on tutors to see how long they've been tutoring, they should be able to get a responsible tutor :)

Otherwise, changing tutors is also possible (not the best option, but better to change earlier than later!)